U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 1,645 times

Advertisements

I mowed my lawn just after 9pm. It may have been coming to 9:15pm when I started. As it was still bright outside I thought I’d mow the lawn then as it was too hot during the day plus it was to rain the following day. Do you think this was wrong? No one seem to have a problem apart from my neighbour. The other day there were others having a bbq and one other neighbour mowing their lawn late evening. When living with my parents we mowed the lawn just before it went dark on some days(only during summer time though)and it usually starts going dark at around 10pm or just before. Would appreciate your thoughts. I am new to the neighbourhood. Also my neighbour has always got something to say or gave a problem with what we do for example when we were working on some diy in our own garden or placing some wood in the shard access to our back garden gate. This has stressed me out and it’s upsetting as she was verbally aggressive. Considering this was the first time it happened as I was under the impression it was ok being summer etc. She could of said it politely not like I was arguing back. I just apologise and went inside. I mean obviously I won’t be doing that again, I guess I’m learning as I’m going along right being a first owner of a home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 05:08 PM

2,816 posts, read 782,041 times
Making noise in a neighborhood much before 9 am or after 8 pm is generally frowned on.

Mowing in the early evening should be fine. Mowing at near dark is... a bit odd, IMHO, and when that's into the nine o'clock hour, could disturb anything from dinner to social groups to people trying to get to sleep early.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:41 PM

50,000 posts, read 48,260,322 times
I would frown on it that late also. We had a neighbor who would get on his lawn tractor right as we were trying to enjoy our deck after dinner on weekends ... he never failed. And we had 1+acre lots, so he was mowing for a LONG time.

Where do you live?

Old 06-02-2020, 05:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
...and when that's into the nine o'clock hour, could disturb anything from dinner to social groups to people trying to get to sleep early.

9pm is Early for bed? Cripes, I've been going to bed at 9 since I was in my early 30's (more than 2 decades now).

Yeah, it's irritating when a neighbor decides to make noise as I'm attempting to get to sleep, same as if I were to start making noise at 6am when I'm up and others are still in bed trying sleep. I seem to remember that 8pm was my bedtime as a younger child and 9pm as an older child on through high school. My parents had a firm no-phone after 8pm rule (outside my dads work, he was sometimes called for emergency at all hours). So mowing where you're Starting after people/kids are likely in bed wouldn't be ideal. Finishing by 9pm shouldn't be an issue for anyone (with some flexibility).

It's all about respecting those around you. If you don't show them respect, even if you don't Agree with them, then you in return don't deserve their respect. I have, absolutely, fired up a chainsaw at sunup on summer solstice (so, 6:10am for me) right next to the bedroom window of an inconsiderate neighbor who partied late into the night prior and kept me from sleeping. Days gone by, and that wasn't the right decision on my part, letting anger get the upper hand, but I've done it...

Old 06-02-2020, 06:01 PM

27,276 posts, read 17,647,687 times
At 9pm, kids are probably being put to bed. Some folks might need to get up early, and therefore might need to be in bed at 9 pm. So, I would not mow past 8 pm. People generally don’t like to be awakened early on Saturday morning by noisy lawn equipment either.

On the wood—I don’t know. If you have shared access, I think I’d keep it clear.

Your neighbor sounds cranky. If you can. I recommend making a friend of her. It is nice when neighbors help each other out in emergencies or in a pinch. It is better if you can be friendly. I can’t tell if you have a partner. If you do, and she does, sometimes males get friendly with each other over yard work.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 1,645 times
Hi all thank you for your replies. I can’t tell you how awful I feel that’s one lesson learnt. I do t have children and not been in a neighbourhood full of them before. When I was living at my mums we use to now the grass in the evening sometimes too but not had any problems. At least now I know how careful I should be when it comes to doing work in the garden. Apart of me wonders to go round and apologise once again but then the other part of me says to just let it be for now. As I know I for next time. Feel so terrible! I guess all I was thinking to just quickly get it done as I knew it rain for the next following days

Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 927,006 times
Based on your spelling and how late the sun seems to set, I’m going guessing you live in Canada or maybe the UK.

You said that it was still hot and that’s why you waited until later in the evening to mow. Heat and the discomfort it brings is always relative. Here in Texas we are expecting highs in the mid to upper nineties later in the week. I doubt it’s that hot where you live. I would just deal with it and mow at seven or eight.

I think it’s rude to also mow, edge, or use the leaf blower if your neighbors are out.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:12 PM

17,253 posts, read 10,467,180 times
I wouldn't do loud outside work past 9:00, but then again, it is hardly ever light enough past then where I am, even around the solstice! Even so, it's not much cooler at 9:00 than at 8:00 pm so try to finish a bit earlier. ....or get a battery powered mower - they're quite a bit quieter!

Old 06-02-2020, 08:26 PM

16,178 posts, read 26,749,190 times
If you were my neighbor, and mowed your lawn at 9pm, I wouldn't be happy.
That's kinda late to be mowing grass, I get your logic for it, but time wise, it isn't fair to the neighbors, no one wants to hear that at 9pm.

just common courtesy.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 PM

6,227 posts, read 2,750,795 times
I would say no to any loud work outside past 9pm. A lot of people do go to bed that early so they can wake up early. I start work at 6:30 and a lot of times I am in bed close to 9, and certainly by 10. I’m from Florida where a lot of people start mowing insanely early because it a) gets hot fast and b) usually has torrential thunderstorms/rain the evenings, but I still think it is rude to start before 8am. When I take walks in the evening, this is a very popular time for people to mow around here, and I’m near reneeh63 where we get dark a little after 8 now. People to seem to mow around 6 or 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House