Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times

Advertisements

I am finding this out both in looking at homes and in getting my brick front home ready for sale.

MORTAR - after a few years you have a constant low level maintenance issue. IMO, it is probably almost as much work to maintain brick as a painted house [I have had those] and definitely more than one with vinyl siding.

Can't beat it for looks and durability but that darned mortar.
And hardly anyone where we are looking actually installs it properly [with flashing and weep holes, and proper airspace, and ties]

So, we will wind up buying but I don't think it will be our last home. Think we want to build ICF and figure out a better system for the outside skin.

I have been advised to "seal" the bricks with a breathable sealer to waterproof them and we are seriously considering that - it is about an every 5 year project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Any type of wall coverings you use for your home you want to use a sealant for the elements

Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,863 times
I suspect an installation problem. Brick buildings should require little maintenance. What specific problems are you having?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM

On my 13 year old home [unsealed] I have had some problems with openings/water penetration in the mortar basically around the corners of the bricks and some flaking of the bricks themselves. This wall faces West so it gets the brutal afternoon sun.

We are going to have to go back and patch a number of places. - these are small holes [too small to fit a pencil in] but can let in water during a hard rain. It is against a door where there is no weep hole [there are weep holes but not on that small section of wall]

Maybe I was naive, I thought all you had to do with brick is keep it clean.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,576 times
Hmmm. I know that mortar has to be mixed properly. If it isn't, it tends to degrade. I've seen relatively new mortar that crumbled/dissolved (age newer than 14 years). But I haven't heard of sealing the exterior of brick houses if everything is done right.

But I love your idea of an ICF house! My husband and I want to build an ICF house sometime in the future, with a mixture of brick and cement fiber siding.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:14 PM

I really think the problems are that masonry is an art and in newer homes a lot of untrained labor is doing the job. That said we lived in an early 1900s home that had too much sand in the mortar [real brick foundation] and the entire foundation had to be redone because the mortar was very loose. I imagine it was not the original mortar because the original construction was very solid. [The studs were oak, not pine]

Here is an article on mortar and spalling. Don't ask me how the link has that title - the article is on brick!

Can your child say no to Peer pressure? - FamilyEducation.com

Here is an article on sealing.

Brick Repair Questions and Answers

Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Someone cut corners on the mortar, a common issue with low cost sub-contractors.

Properly mixed mortar requires NO maintenance for hundreds of years.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:44 PM

I really am finding that all these high dollar brick homes may be giving a false sense of value. These issues are occuring on nicer homes not just the quickly thrown together tract homes [my current home IS a tract home with the typical brick on front, vinyl on the sides but we are now attuned to it and seeing it on nicer homes]

Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Hey, Nancy! I gotta tell ya . . . having lived in brick homes all my life . . . here in NC, unless someone has done a shoddy job w/ mortar, you really should not be having problems.

That being said . . . I went on-site to check out some of the above $800,000 homes here in S. Charlotte, while crews were around, and I was appalled at what I saw. Illegals doing the labor . . . and some really shoddy workmanship. I call these "sweetheart" houses - they cost a lot, look upscale but were built using every short cut, including illegal labor . . . they look great but eventually the lousy workmanship will start showing up.

I think those houses, despite looking nice and costing from $800,000 to well over $1 M, are gonna have all sorts of problems in a few years - including mortar problems. One of my friends had to have her whole driveway torn up on her less than one year old home - precisely b/c the crew doing it did not mix the cement right. Her garage floor, drive way and sidewalk looked like a wrecking ball had crumbled it.

I think there is a lot of shoddy work going on out there . . .

Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,308,011 times
Deteriorated mortar in a 1900's house is pretty common, since it's about 100 years old. It just gets soft. If mortar is getting soft in a 15 year old home, there was something wrong with the initial installation - sealing or no sealing.

Spalling bricks can just happen, after all they are a man made product and made out of clay. However, spalling is not something that is common on newer homes. One or two bricks, OK, but more than a couple, maybe something wrong with the bricks.

Small holes? In the mortar? You can get tuck point or caulk the gaps.

Is the moisture only showing up in the mortar? And only in one place? How is the moisture getting there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House