Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 02:18 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

Adding on to this thread - how do you clean the "hole" (not sure what it's called) - that is at the bottom of the bowl across from where it flushed waste away? The area obviously is circular and then curves in, cannot figure out how to get something curved enough to fit in there (hope this makes sense - a regular toilet brush doesn't go into this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Adding on to this thread - how do you clean the "hole" (not sure what it's called) - that is at the bottom of the bowl across from where it flushed waste away? The area obviously is circular and then curves in, cannot figure out how to get something curved enough to fit in there (hope this makes sense - a regular toilet brush doesn't go into this area.
Oxo good grips makes a toilet brush that fits the bottom and cleans it out well. And for mineral deposits Lysol makes a thick gel cleaner just for that. I use it monthly. https://www.lysol.com/products/multi...-rust-remover/

Old 06-08-2020, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 5,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The active ingredient in decent bowl cleaners is muriatic acid (a.k.a. hydrochloric acid). Most toilets can be cleaned, but those with a uric acid buildup from not flushing or regular cleaning may have to be replaced. Urinals are worse.

I have that muriatic acid. But how would i try to go about using it? All the stains is basically around the bottom of the toilet bowl where it flushes... do i pour the muriatic acid on the toilet brush and pour it on the toilet water and then scrub?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 PM

I read some articles on how you basically pour some liquid in toilet bowl for few hours or overnight... then next day just flush the toilet and it would be cleaned. Would that work in my situation? If so, what products would be needed for that? Did read when you pour vinegar/baking soda together, it makes sound like a volcano. Would that work to clean the toilet stains?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:21 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian600 View Post
I read some articles on how you basically pour some liquid in toilet bowl for few hours or overnight... then next day just flush the toilet and it would be cleaned. Would that work in my situation? If so, what products would be needed for that? Did read when you pour vinegar/baking soda together, it makes sound like a volcano. Would that work to clean the toilet stains?
What about the toilet bowl walls? You need to distribute the cleaner on the walls too. I guess you didn't read the link I posted...

BTW: the "volcano" effect is working for CLOGGED pipes. Not stains.
Go to the general store and check the "beauty" department where they sell cosmetics, nail polish, soaps, shower gels etc. There you find pumice stone. Or ask someone who works there.
Nothing works better than that...

You sound very familiar - didn't you post here before?

Last edited by elnina; 06-08-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 07:25 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oxo good grips makes a toilet brush that fits the bottom and cleans it out well. And for mineral deposits Lysol makes a thick gel cleaner just for that. I use it monthly. https://www.lysol.com/products/multi...-rust-remover/
I use Lysol TB cleaner - it doesn't get the stain out of that hole thing - I'll have to do a check on that OXO brush.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I use Lysol TB cleaner - it doesn't get the stain out of that hole thing - I'll have to do a check on that OXO brush.
This Lysol product in a black label. It’s not for everyday cleaning. In fact, I don’t even think it’s sanitizes. It’s specifically meant for mineral deposits and rust stains. Which surprisingly are brown and not orange. For something like that it’s best to toss a bucket full of water in the toilet to practically empty it, without refilling. Give the toilet a good coating of that Lysol cleaner and wait a half hour. Add a little water and scrub with the toilet brush.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian600 View Post
I have that muriatic acid. But how would i try to go about using it? All the stains is basically around the bottom of the toilet bowl where it flushes... do i pour the muriatic acid on the toilet brush and pour it on the toilet water and then scrub?
Be very careful with that stuff. It needs to be diluted with water. It's highly corrosive, if used wrong it can cause lots of damage.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-muriatic-acid-608510

Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 PM

I never heard of pumice... just heard it now.

But is that the best product to do this? So the vinegar and baking soda will not work then? I never heard of pumice even when checking google on this so that i am surprised.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
You can get rounded pumice stones for a dollar or so at Dollar Tree or Walmart. They fit the curve of the toilet bowl. You can also use a chunk of brick if you don't have a pumice stone.

Since pumice is softer than porcelain but harder than limescale, you can't damage your toilet with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House