Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 04:21 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Remember everything is negotiable. Is this the only bid you gotten, if so get more bid and make sure everything is included in the big including restroom etc. With how economy is going, you might be able to find better quote overall when you take everything in to the account.
Thank you, and yes.....this was the first bid. I am planning on getting two more.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We’ve gotten a bid to do some construction work on the exterior of our house, estimated to last around 4 days, and the contractor is requiring us to arrange and pay for a Porto-potty on the front lawn for his use and that of his crew, and also to have wood framing built around it for privacy, and then of course dismantled, waste handled appropriately, and hauled off. Is this common?

Thank you.
Is the Portadump a requirement of the building permit?

Old 06-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is the Portadump a requirement of the building permit?
Not sure. I will email him again and find out.

It will be interesting to see how the two other contractors from whom I plan to take bids will approach this. Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That is strange that they would decline to use the bathroom in the house.

I would not say that raises a red flag, but it certainly would catch my attention, because the first thing that comes to my mind is "why?" And then my paranoid self thinking "what, they got some felony sex offenders or people with violent history working on the crew? And the contractor wants to minimize any possible issue that might occur?"
I don't know that I'd want 5 or however many guys tracking through my house every day...but if they absolutely won't use your toilet then why isn't that part of their bid and they make all the arrangements? You'd think they could get a better deal as they'll be SOMEWHERE using them most every day.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:14 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That is strange that they would decline to use the bathroom in the house.

I would not say that raises a red flag, but it certainly would catch my attention, because the first thing that comes to my mind is "why?" And then my paranoid self thinking "what, they got some felony sex offenders or people with violent history working on the crew? And the contractor wants to minimize any possible issue that might occur?"
More likely because they've gotten too many client complaints about their workers tracking dirt/mud into the house, leaving the towels, floor, sink or whatever less than spotless. Maybe they've had unsubstantiated theft accusations from tracking in and out of the client's house. Then they end up getting a three star review on some consumer website because of it. If they use their own they can worry a little less about some fussier homeowner's sensibilities.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:18 PM

962 posts, read 612,071 times
I hire illegal aliens to do my domestic chores.

They work cheap, do a fine job, and would never ask about bathroom arrangements.

I found Porko and his crew wandering around a Home Depot parking lot years ago- been using him ever since.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I hire illegal aliens to do my domestic chores.

They work cheap, do a fine job, and would never ask about bathroom arrangements.

I found Porko and his crew wandering around a Home Depot parking lot years ago- been using him ever since.
I got video of one of my landscapers urinating against the side of my house, that’s why they don’t “ask”.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:25 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
NO way would I have contractors use the bathroom in the house. There are many reasons it is a problem - the least being that they have to worry about tracking dirt etc through your house - and the contractor is smart to disallow it. It is usually built into the quote, in my experience.

I would tell him the porta potty is fine but there's NO need to build a wood screen for privacy LOL. Especially for a 4-day job. I've never seen that. Strike that one out. They usually put it wherever the porta-potty truck drops it.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:26 PM

743 posts, read 874,788 times
I find that an odd request. We just had a 3 car garage built and a port-a-potty was delivered a few days before the work started. It was hauled away after the work was completed. I was never asked to provide one, much less have to order it myself. It's part of the cost of the job. And you don't want a work crew using your bathroom.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House