Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 08:46 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times

Advertisements

I could not do without a microwave. I use mine all the time. We have a drawer microwave, and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
My Grandmother was fond of telling the story of when my Uncle bought her a microwave in the late 70's. Probably cost 2 or 3 hundred which was a lot of money at the time. She wouldn't touch the thing for weeks, even told him to take it back. Then one day she wanted to reheat a dish and decided to give it a try... all over after that. It was Radarrange and worked until about 6 years ago. Two dials, one for time and one for power. 3 buttons; start, stop and light. The Great Grandkids would have to show their friends it and the rotary dial telephone. Some guy bought it non working for $50... was building retro kitchen and that thing was in perfect shape aesthetically.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Have you? Can you? Would you?

We are finding out just how reliant we are on the microwave, not having one here in this vacation rental. I am amazed any rental would NOT have one. The kitchen is admittedly too small, but if this were my place, I'd put it around the corner in the living room, rather than go without.

I can't reheat my coffee! (Yeah, I can light the stove and dirty a pan, but...:)

Never had one in my home, so I never miss em...

Old 06-14-2020, 01:41 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Was reading the comments and realized those using microwave to reheat leftovers, probably have an electric stove. Burners on electric stove are lot slower to heat up and cool down than gas. You can reheat things on gas burner pretty fast. Its instant on, instant off. No idea why gas stoves lost popularity. Suppose cause more people rent than ever before and landlords see electric stoves as cheaper to install and safer for careless tenants.

Doesnt really matter to me what anybody else uses. But from my past experience, microwave best mainly for reheating already cooked food. Whether leftovers or the factory tv dinner type stuff. It will freshen up stale bakery goods. Had a boss once that would buy stale donuts/cinnamon rolls/etc for workers. No idea where he got it. Assume it was free or near free. But nuking it was only way to make it edible.

I remember in early days of microwaves, they would brag on baking potato fast. I sure never had much luck doing such in a microwave. Took lot longer than claimed and resulting texture left lot to be desired.

You want efficient cooking from scratch, hard to beat a pressure cooker. Though like microwave nothing will brown in pressure cooker. You have to either sear it before putting it in pressure cooker, or put it under broiler after cooking in pressure cooker. Or just accept it isnt going to brown. Oh I am sure some high end microwaves now have convection oven setting so you can brown stuff in them, but its not from the microwaving process.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
My microwave broke a few months back and I was lost without it while waiting for it be fixed. I cook my veggies in it, heat up my coffee and leftovers and many nights make a Healthy Choice frozen dinner in mine. Living in Florida, the less heat I add to my kitchen the better.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I have a Masters Degree in Microwave.

I'm in my RV, and I have one inside and one in the outside kitchen.

My backup is a small air fryer which we too use for a lot of cooking.

And our other backup is the electric skillet that's so versatile.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My microwave broke a few months back and I was lost without it while waiting for it be fixed. I cook my veggies in it, heat up my coffee and leftovers and many nights make a Healthy Choice frozen dinner in mine. Living in Florida, the less heat I add to my kitchen the better.
Was it still under warranty? Because it seems like in most cases it'd just be cheaper to toss it and buy a new one.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:42 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Wow, this is so interesting to see how people use their microwaves!

We eat a lot of leftovers and that is our main use. Often I cook bigger batches to have later. We don't have frozen dinners. Or really any packaged prepared stuff.

Normally I would not reheat coffee, but I don't have my thermal mug here, nor a thermos. Those are best.

I remember when the radar range came out! I was working in a restaurant and was thrilled to be able to heat a slice of pie without bothering the cook!

We had our early model analog dial model for over 30 years and then gave it away when we moved. Amazing.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I have a Masters Degree in Microwave.

I'm in my RV, and I have one inside and one in the outside kitchen.

My backup is a small air fryer which we too use for a lot of cooking.

And our other backup is the electric skillet that's so versatile.
That's funny!

Those air fryers are really getting popular. We don't have one yet. I do love my electric water boiler.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Was reading the comments and realized those using microwave to reheat leftovers, probably have an electric stove. Burners on electric stove are lot slower to heat up and cool down than gas. You can reheat things on gas burner pretty fast. Its instant on, instant off. No idea why gas stoves lost popularity. Suppose cause more people rent than ever before and landlords see electric stoves as cheaper to install and safer for careless tenants.

Doesnt really matter to me what anybody else uses. But from my past experience, microwave best mainly for reheating already cooked food. Whether leftovers or the factory tv dinner type stuff. It will freshen up stale bakery goods. Had a boss once that would buy stale donuts/cinnamon rolls/etc for workers. No idea where he got it. Assume it was free or near free. But nuking it was only way to make it edible.

I remember in early days of microwaves, they would brag on baking potato fast. I sure never had much luck doing such in a microwave. Took lot longer than claimed and resulting texture left lot to be desired.

You want efficient cooking from scratch, hard to beat a pressure cooker. Though like microwave nothing will brown in pressure cooker. You have to either sear it before putting it in pressure cooker, or put it under broiler after cooking in pressure cooker. Or just accept it isnt going to brown. Oh I am sure some high end microwaves now have convection oven setting so you can brown stuff in them, but its not from the microwaving process.
No, we have a gas stove at home, electronic ignition. Here at this rental, we have to light the burners with a lighter!

That would never fly in a US rental.

Agree about the baked potatoes...texture is weird.

DH is the pressure cooker master. Scares me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House