Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 05:19 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

Have you? Can you? Would you?

We are finding out just how reliant we are on the microwave, not having one here in this vacation rental. I am amazed any rental would NOT have one. The kitchen is admittedly too small, but if this were my place, I'd put it around the corner in the living room, rather than go without.

I can't reheat my coffee! (Yeah, I can light the stove and dirty a pan, but...:)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 05:39 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Although I grew up without a microwave, I don't think I would be happy without one now. It saves so much time when reheating things especially soup, not to mention the amount of pots and pans I would be making dirty just to reheat things. It's probably one of the most used appliances in my house.
Even a small one would be ok for me since I am a single person. I'd find a way to make room for a small one.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:56 AM

19,705 posts, read 20,232,643 times
Yes, I could do it. I rarely use the microwave as it is. (maybe once every couple of days)

I do most of my cooking on the stove/oven.

* But a rental place ought to provide a microwave. That's just common sense. I can't imagine anyone on vacation wanting to hang around a hot stove in the summertime, or otherwise forced to eat out. I would probably leave a polite comment or make a suggestion to the rental property owner.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:00 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

We are finding out just how reliant we are on the microwave, not having one here in this vacation rental. I am amazed any rental would NOT have one. The kitchen is admittedly too small, but if this were my place, I'd put it around the corner in the living room, rather than go without.

I can't reheat my coffee! (Yeah, I can light the stove and dirty a pan, but...:)
That's easily my primary use of the microwave.

No, I'd never get ride of it. And I can't imagine why anyone would. They're very cheap and last forever - the one my wife and I received as a wedding present went off to college with one of our kids 20 years later where it did its job for four more years (I don't know what became of it then - probably given away or sold for $20).

Old 06-13-2020, 06:01 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,559,245 times
I lived without a microwave for two years after moving into my current home. The only reason(s) that I bought one was because my boyfriend at the time missed having to access to one when he was here visiting and it was being sold as a back-to-college sale item for under thirty dollars.

The microwave resides on a shelf in my pantry (plugged in) so as to not waste limited countertop real estate. I use it mostly for reheating leftovers. It often goes days without being used, but I have to admit that there are times when it's convenient to have a microwave handy.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:29 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I will not reheat coffee. Coffee maker has a steel carafe and we have an additional one which will keep liquids piping hot for over ten hours. In our last three houses we took the built in micro out and hid a tiny one in a cabinet for SO's popcorn and tortilla ham/cheese wraps.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I have (recently), could and would again. I frequently wonder why I have one in the first place, much as i do the one TV that's in the house. Both are used infrequently and can be easily done without. Not like either appliance Really offers something that makes such a positive difference in my life that it would be a major change to not have them. They are conveniences, both. Something to make me lazy... the computer does that too, but there are positives (such as it's the tool needed for me to generate income) that offset the negatives... can't say the same for either the TV or microwave.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:25 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
I went through about three microwaves until 20 years ago last one went to appliance heaven. Just automatically started looking and pricing new one.... then got to thinking what I actually used a microwave for. Yep heating coffee and popping popcorn. Occasionally a frozen burrito. So microwave just silly waste money unless you cook all your actual meals in it. Really not that into "tv dinners".

I bought a nice stainless steel thermos for the coffee. Yea people used to use thermoses to keep coffee hot. No electricity required. Take a thermos of coffee to work with you. And a hot air popper from thrift store (didnt pop THAT much popcorn). Twenty years now without a microwave. Dont miss it at all. Still using that thermos for coffee. No grain anymore thanks to diabetes.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I have one and use it for certain things but if forced to choose, my toaster oven's staying and the microwave's gone. I wouldn't be without the toaster oven in the kitchen.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:45 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
I did once or twice since 2012. Used a burner and/or a toaster oven as a replacement. Was a PITA but I managed.

Might be temped to go without one in the future depending on my space and/or electric rates(or whether or not electricity is included in my rent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House