Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah...for people who (IMO, and no offense intended) fall for that crap of...."that's unsightly" or that's an eye sore. Give me a break with that.

It's only unsightly because some marketer decided it was. And if you say it enough, people will start to subconsciously think..."yeah, that is ugly."

-- Off the counter...I can relate. Because it takes up counter space.
-- Too high for some short (excuse me, heigh challenged) people. I can see that. It could be a safety issue.
But hide it, because "who wants to see that?" That's marketing/advertising driven.
i hear you. but we all have things that we like to see or dont like to see an that is based on a variety of factors. a lot of people hide their fridge by making the doors like the same as cabinets. that seems ridiculous to me since i think a fridge can add to the appearance of the space. so you just have to accept that people have preferences whether you think they are justified or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 11:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My in-laws installed a drawer microwave in the lower cabinets when they remodeled their kitchen. They loved it at first, but my MIL has admitted that now she wishes they would have put one at counter top level. She hates not being able to see her food cooking. She's had a lot of things overflow without her noticing it.
That's a good point. There have been a few times I've seen something spark for some reason or spill over. It makes sense that you'd want to see the food while it's cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Any object that is mounted above your shoulders can hit you in the head
Ideally, you would mount it securely in the upper cabinet. If I'm the one opening the door, I wouldn't hit myself in the head with it.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:13 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
I've never used one that's positioned lower, but considering how my back aches whenever I have to lean over to do a task, that would never be an option. I would go back to having a monster unit sitting on the counter first. I also have a very tall spouse who wouldn't put up with it.

I never use the lower of my two ovens for the same reason.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The bottom edge is lower than a range hood. It's visually cramped. It took me a while to get used to mine.
You have to follow the installation instructions, in which case there is a minimum distance between the stove's top and the bottom of the microwave oven. If that distance can n to be maintained, then it should not be installed. This one for for one of the Whirlpool range/microwave ovens (I have one of these at my home):
https://www.whirlpool.com/content/da...47296-RevB.pdf

Old 06-22-2020, 05:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The bottom edge is lower than a range hood. It's visually cramped. It took me a while to get used to mine.
The kitchen cabinets at my home were chosen to allow for a range/microwave oven. In this case, the cabinet above the range is not very tall, so there is quite a lot of space between the stovetop and the bottom of the microwave oven (about 24"). But you are correct if there isn't enough room under the microwave oven, it's too cramped.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:05 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
so you just have to accept that people have preferences whether you think they are justified or not.
Oh I do accept it. I just dig deep and like to know WHY people have the preferences or opinions they do, WHY they think or believe what they do.

Too many people (me included) are influenced by others and advertising regarding some of the most mindless/trivial stuff (IMO). Ask people: WHY don't you like this there? "Because it takes up counter space," or "I'm in a wheelchair and need it low" -- are completely different kinds of reasoning than "Oh, I don't know, I just don't." But I get that everything can't be serious all the time.

(And things being called "eye-sores" are why some HOAs don't even let people have sandboxes or jungle gyms, -- or heaven forbid -- a clothes line! in their own FENCED backyards. Oh yeah, and the fence has to be vinyl because chain link is an eye-sore, too. AND any shed has to match the house. And your door can only be a certain color.)

(I'm not de-railing. Just explaining my rationale. That's all.)

Old 06-23-2020, 07:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
For the life of me I don't understand why they won't make a freezer-on-top, split-door-on-the bottom refrigerator. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

I use the freezer A LOT and just can't deal with the being over, and drawer -- if it were on the bottom. Stuff piled on top, , and you can't really reach into the back of a bottom freezer very easily. You're always bent over and reaching into the back. No bueno.

Freezer on top and split door on the bottom for pizza boxes....now that's my kind of frig.
So I am in the refrigerator a lot more than the freezer, which is why my previous place had a refrigerator on top, freezer on the bottom. However, the freezer had multiple drawers, so I didn't have stuff piled up and things were easy to get to.

My mom almost bought the same refrigerator for my dad since he's very tall and has a hard time bending over. And he's always in the refrigerator getting stuff to drink.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Oh I do accept it. I just dig deep and like to know WHY people have the preferences or opinions they do, WHY they think or believe what they do.

Too many people (me included) are influenced by others and advertising regarding some of the most mindless/trivial stuff (IMO). Ask people: WHY don't you like this there? "Because it takes up counter space," or "I'm in a wheelchair and need it low" -- are completely different kinds of reasoning than "Oh, I don't know, I just don't." But I get that everything can't be serious all the time.

(And things being called "eye-sores" are why some HOAs don't even let people have sandboxes or jungle gyms, -- or heaven forbid -- a clothes line! in their own FENCED backyards. Oh yeah, and the fence has to be vinyl because chain link is an eye-sore, too. AND any shed has to match the house. And your door can only be a certain color.)

(I'm not de-railing. Just explaining my rationale. That's all.)

your post made me think about the various "preferences" throughout time and how they are based on society vs any other rationale. its a funny concept but it is what it is.

i recently had a problem with my wife wanting a privacy fence and i wanted a black aluminum. i said to her "nice homes dont have privacy fences here." i used her desire to achieve a look that is perceived as high end to my advantage. it actually came up the other day when her mother was over and she suggested a privacy fence. i gave her the same line. its true, you drive around my town and the fancy places will almost always have a black aluminum fence with some kind of hedge for privacy.

i actually like your idea of a top freezer and french doors. id probably like it with the fridge and freezer section both having the doors. though, im very happy with the side by side, occasionally some added width would be nice.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:35 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I've had side by sides and freezers on top, disliked them both. I had a chest freezer in the garage, but it was inconvenient.

I recently got a French door unit with a freezer on the bottom, and love it. Part of the love is the size; 25 cf instead of my usual 18-20. Also, heat rises, so freezer on the bottom should use a bit less energy.

It also reminds me of my grandmother; she had a freezer on the bottom of her "fridgidair" (she always called it that, though I think it was a Nordge. ESL).

Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 AM

here is my drawer microwave. i never feel like im bending to put stuff in there, people with back issues may be more sensitive to any amount of bend.

there is also a "warming drawer" under it. its also not something id ever think to get but it came with the house. i use it mainly if we have a lot of people over and need to keep food warm until dinner time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House