U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 421 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone so my main circuit breaker is outside of the house and it’s supplies power to my sub panel inside the house. My question is how do I add and wire a 30 amp generator circuit breaker outside with my main without back feeding the utility lines? I was wanting to just do an interlock switch instead of a manual transfer switch with a separate box.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 05:25 AM

31,120 posts, read 67,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grojas92 View Post

My question is how do I add and wire a 30 amp generator ...
WHICH of the many circuits (200A panel?) do you want to feed with the 30A genny?

Old 06-17-2020, 06:38 AM

13,988 posts, read 53,343,794 times
This device may or may not be approved by the AHJ in your area- and they are not the best solution available. They do not prevent a user from overloading the generator, since the load selection is made by the user during operation.

The better, safer solution, is to install manual or automatic transfer switches. This allows you to pre-select the loads making it a safer solution.

There are plenty of YouTube vid's for the DIY'er- but for most people you should hire an electrician for this. It probably also requires a permit due to the AHJ.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 421 times
The main breaker I have is a 90 amp double pole which I thought was strange. I have wgen7500df generator and was only going to power a few household items fridge, freezer, fans and a couple of lights. I’m in the process of getting a permit. I was just wanting to make sure it was safe to add the genny CB to outside panel next to the main while my sub panel is inside?

Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 AM

31,120 posts, read 67,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grojas92 View Post

I was just wanting to make sure it was safe to add the genny CB to outside panel ...?
It almost never is.

A 30A genny = extension cord to the Refrigerator until the PoCo has it all working again.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:59 AM

41,824 posts, read 44,092,220 times
You need to install the interlock on whatever panel you are backfeeding.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It almost never is.

You may want to familiarize yourself with an interlock, it physically prevents the main power switch from being on if the backfed breaker is on. You are not going to be powering air conditioning and electric dryers with it but it's relatively cheap alternative to get power to everything that needs power.

You need to go through your breakers and produce list of which ones should be powered, Turn off the non essential ones like air conditioning unit and an electric dryer. Don't go overboard with an electric stove and make sure you don't have toaster, microwave and hair dryer all running at once.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 AM

1,244 posts, read 4,424,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It almost never is.

A 30A genny = extension cord to the Refrigerator until the PoCo has it all working again.
That's exactly what I do, even though my genny is larger that that. If it appears that power will be out for too long I fire it up in the back yard and run heavy ext cords to the fridge and freezer...and, if needed, smaller ones to a light and fan. That's all we actually need to power in an emergency. Flashlights, candles & fireplace are fine for other needs. I like simple.

If we lost power frequently, I'd be looking at a natural gas powered whole house genny ($$$$)

Old 06-17-2020, 10:41 AM

1,126 posts, read 463,456 times
Also want to add hook-ups for a portable generator. We need to power the furnace fan (n.gas furnace), two fridges, water heater (also n.gas- needs fan powered), and a couple of lights. We can cook on a camp stove or grill. It will easily cost twice as much for a permanent house generator.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
If we lost power frequently, I'd be looking at a natural gas powered whole house genny ($$$$)

Using an interlock is pretty similar and it will power any circuit on the panel (within limits). It's not automatic though. You need to user the interlock on the panel to shut off the main power and engage the circuit for the generator. Plug the generator into your backup circuit and turn it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or