Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,099,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
This kind of crap is why I do all my own home and auto repair. I seriously dont trust "professionals" anymore. Seems like its always a scam. You know anything but manufacturers warranty is a SCAM. Some of the manufacturers warranties are too.

I had some health problems few years back and thought I was going to have to hire auto mechanic, but I managed on my own... albeit SLOWLY.... took me days, but hey I had nothing else to do. Figure when I cant repair my stuff, probably at point I cant live on my own. Anymore the big problem is finding anything that is economically repairable to buy in first place.
I really don’t mind paying someone to do what I’m not capable of doing or don’t have the time or wherewithal to do, as long as they are honest, reputable and excellent at what they do! These companies and people do exist, however sometimes it takes a while and some spent money until you find the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 07:34 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,011,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I would Never pay monthly for any type of utility warranty/repair or complete home warranty insurance.

You are locked into the repair company that they choose and are usually companies that can’t find work on their own merit. Also, the fine print and stipulations on those policies will end up costing you more money than you would pay when finding and calling the contractor of your choice and being able to decide on the materials and device that you would like installed. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories with those home warranty plans.
I pay for one and it has worked out in our benefit. We replace our water heater every year to 18 months. Same with the well pump. Last year, our washer, dryer and dishwasher went up. We received checks for more than we paid in premiums all year. We just had a big event and a plumbing leak fried our electric panel taking out the electric panel completely, well pump and one a/c condenser. The electricians bill is $5k. I am going to go back on the warranty company to see what they offer. Might only be $1k, which will cover the home owners insurance deductible.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,532,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I pay for one and it has worked out in our benefit. We replace our water heater every year to 18 months. Same with the well pump. Last year, our washer, dryer and dishwasher went up. We received checks for more than we paid in premiums all year. We just had a big event and a plumbing leak fried our electric panel taking out the electric panel completely, well pump and one a/c condenser. The electricians bill is $5k. I am going to go back on the warranty company to see what they offer. Might only be $1k, which will cover the home owners insurance deductible.
You surely must have horrible water on your property to cause you to have to replace both your water heater and your well pump on an annual basis.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:05 AM

10,052 posts, read 6,349,398 times
Quote:
You replace your water heater and well pump every year to 18 months? Is there something drastically wrong with your water?

Old 06-20-2020, 08:44 AM

88,222 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Hot water insurance? Never considered it. They're just $300-$400 items most often plus installation. And the installation is not that time consuming.

My last hot water heater failure was normal--on July 4th when the house was full of people. These things never fail when it's convenient. Fortunately, a plumber was in the house. A quick run to Lowes and we were up and running within 2 hrs.

It might help if people would cut off the electricity and let their heater cool down some. Then hook a water hose up to the bottom drain and flush out the sediment from the bottom. It's just part of yearly household normal maintenance.
Ha! Mine went on New Year's Day.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:39 PM

6,348 posts, read 4,099,349 times
Quote:
Obviously someone has to occasionally beat the system since if the majority of the insured people did, the company would be out of business!

Old 06-20-2020, 12:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,174,363 times
Many with well water often have a water softener system for the sake of every other appliance that uses water in the house.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
You surely must have horrible water on your property to cause you to have to replace both your water heater and your well pump on an annual basis.
We have road salt contamination. It tears up everything

Old 06-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Many with well water often have a water softener system for the sake of every other appliance that uses water in the house.
Water softener only is for people on city water. Well water needs more than a softener.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,532,614 times
Quote:
We have road salt contamination. It tears up everything
Wow. That's horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House