Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 09:47 PM

354 posts, read 776,257 times

Advertisements

Was hoping maybe some people could give me some info here to help me make this decision, I've probably been overly agonizing over.

As the virus was starting up, I realized that all of our summer plans were going to be canceled, and I went and bought an Intex 15'x48" round, metal frame pool. It was only around $350, which I figured was well worth it.

Now, months later, summer is here and it is still sitting in my garage, in its box. My kids (13 and 9) are home pretty much doing nothing except playing video games and watching TV, which makes me anxious, and I want to find something for them to do all day, so it's time to set this thing up.

After doing some research, I read that the ground has to be completely level, within 2" end to end. I thought my ground was level, but after inspecting, it's not that close. So I have to remove all the grass and level it off, which is a decent amount of work, or hire someone to do it.

I've also read that the filter systems these come with are junk, and everyone recommends buying a sand filter, which are around $400 and almost impossible to find anywhere now anyways. I was also told I will need around $300 of chemicals.

I got some quotes from people to level the ground for me, and they ranged anywhere from $1400 to just level it, or $1000 from someone who is experienced with these pools, and will level the ground, bring sand, pavers, and set up the pool for me.

Some other considerations - this is technically illegal in my town - you need a permit, which I could never get, because my yard is small and the pool is too close to my property line for it to ever meet the ordinance requirements. So I'm taking a bit of a risk by setting this up. Unlikely I will get caught, unless a neighbor or someone complains.

Another concern I have is how I will drain this thing at the end of the season. I'm just not sure.

So I'm really torn here! Is this thing going to be worth it? Will my kids use it? Is it worth paying almost $1600, ruining my grass, taking the risk of a fine from my town, and dealing with the pool maintenance to have this thing in my backyard? I was planning on taking it down at the end of the season, and who knows if I will use it next year or not?

If anyone that has had one of these has some insight to share here, it would be much appreciated! I don't think I've ever even swam in an above ground pool before.

Thanks,

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 05:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Years ago I set up a 12’ round Intex inflatable and it said the same thing about being perfectly level. It wasn’t and it was fine, and if anything inflatables need being level even more. Having said that, if it was say 4” off level I wouldn’t worry, but if 12” then yes, that would put a lot of stress on the metal frame on the downslope side.

The filter was ok. Not great, but did the trick.

For $350 I’d use it as-is, and if the town comes, just rip it down. It’s for your kids, if they use it for a couple of months and then you throw it away in the fall it’ll still help their activity levels.

Don’t spend extra dollars if you don’t have to. The only thing I might consider depending on your situation is a pool alarm, a cheap bubble wrap type pool blanket to keep it warm, and some chemicals to keep the water clean.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Don’t spend extra dollars if you don’t have to. The only thing I might consider depending on your situation is a pool alarm, a cheap bubble wrap type pool blanket to keep it warm, and some chemicals to keep the water clean.
I agree with everything markjames68 said!

Treat it like you're setting up a "kiddie pool" for this summer only. If you get more use out of it than than, that'll be a bonus.

The alarm is a good idea if your pool area isn't fenced. Your kids are old enough to skip it, but do you have any potential neighbor kids/grandkids who could wander into your yard? I would be concerned about that.

And if it's just your kids/family using the pool, the good-enough filter and chemicals should be well, good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House