Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 10:54 PM

949 posts, read 788,182 times

Advertisements

I have a high efficiency 3.5 ton Carrier HVAC (gas heat). When I turn on the A/C, it takes about 30 minutes to cool the condo, then the unit shuts down as it should. When the temperature rises and the unit automatically restarts, the fan comes on, but the compressor never comes back on. If I shut the unit down for 30 minutes and restart, the compressor comes on ok.

I had a tech look at it, but he could not determine what has wrong. He installed a timer to turn on the compressor if after the fan runs five minutes. I noticed that most of the time, after the five minutes elapses, the compressor turns on and immediately turns off. Typically, on the third or fourth attempt, after 15 or 20 minutes, the compressor will finally start and stay on until the designated temperature is reached.

I could have lived with this, but a week later, the timer has obviously malfunctioned because the compressor never shuts off. I have to cut power to the unit from the fuse box.

So now I'm trying to get an authorized Carrier service shop to come out. The are reported (YELP, etc) to be very pricey, and may sometimes really try hard to sell you a new unit rather than repair a unit. But my unit is only 8 years old, so I would like to have it repaired if possible. My unit is on the roof of my condo and we must use licensed service shops to repair and install A/C units.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this with an A/C compressor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
If you bought it new the compressor should still be under warranty.

But if the compressor itself doesn’t make noise and the AC removes heat then I wonder if it’s a control board and not the compressor itself. Single stage HVAC systems are pretty simple.

Or perhaps the run capacitor is iffy. That’s cheap to replace.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:21 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
I'm betting the capacitor - it's almost always the first to go. They're about $25 and usually around the size of a D battery or so, and as simple to replace as one.. The capacitor's primary purpose is to start up the unit. Think of it as the starter on your car.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:58 PM

949 posts, read 788,182 times
Thanks. Since I wasn't the purchaser of the A/C unit (it was there when I bought the condo), I don't have the warranty.

Yes, I was wondering if the tech tested the capacitor. I will likely wait out the summer and have it serviced when the season calms down. I live in Las Vegas, so all the A/C companies are very very busy here this time of year. I think I'll get better attention in the fall.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:54 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
Thanks. Since I wasn't the purchaser of the A/C unit (it was there when I bought the condo), I don't have the warranty.

Yes, I was wondering if the tech tested the capacitor. I will likely wait out the summer and have it serviced when the season calms down. I live in Las Vegas, so all the A/C companies are very very busy here this time of year. I think I'll get better attention in the fall.
If you can get someone out, just have it swapped as a precaution. It’s not a major expense but give it’s 8 years old and on the roof in LV it might need replacing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House