Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times

Advertisements

i don't understand why someone would live where someone else tells you what you can and can't do. i would never live like that. reminds me of living in an apartment and having a landlord. to me it just doesn't make sence to pay good money for a place and having someone else set the rules for you. but i guess to each their own. i'm glad i can use my clothes line. saves lot's of money on the electric bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
ITA with all those who would never live where you couldn't do something as simple as dry clothes outside!

We moved into this place with an electric dryer.. but the house has gas hookups. My mom loaned us a little 110 dryer but that thing is expen$ive!! to run. So we try not to, unless it's rainy. We just use it with a dryer sheet to get cat hair off of things.

So, we hang a lot of our stuff out, and yes, often it is dry outside before the load in the dryer is completely dry!

I must be an oddball though, because I do NOT like the "line dried" smell. I think it stinks, even when I used fabric softener. I will often pop some things in the dryer for just 10 minutes w/a dryer sheet to get it smelling fresh again... to me the outside air smell is kinda blech on the clothes.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I must be an oddball though, because I do NOT like the "line dried" smell. I think it stinks, even when I used fabric softener. I will often pop some things in the dryer for just 10 minutes w/a dryer sheet to get it smelling fresh again... to me the outside air smell is kinda blech on the clothes.
Do you live in an urban neighborhood? Maybe you're getting 'city smells'?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
I would try to orgainize with some of my neighbors and go to a HOA and petition the situation be reviewed.With energy costs rising and billfolds having to be emptied faster, I would think it a valid request. If they are not agreeable, I would start a campaign against them by calling in the press. This day and age, to not be 'green' , especially when you have the means to do so, can be quite unacceptable.

There are retractable clotheslines. And a number of other options for drying clothes. Some can be placed so that they are no higher than a privacy fence. There could certainly be stipulations that clothes would not be allowed for hang for days at a time...brought in in a timely fashion. It could even be required that no undergarments be hung out in view, lest some fainthearted soul be offended by grannies panties

If you really want to makes the rules change, then roll up your sleeves and do something about it. If there are outstanding HOA violations where nothing is being done, that gives you some ammunition to get what you want.....
like where I live there is one mentally unbalanced person in the neighborhood whose home is an eyesore, but nothing gets done because everyone is basiaclly scared of him...So don't tell me what I AM DOING is wrong!!!

good luck

Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
I enjoy laid back neighbors so its a non issue for me. What is an issue is its rained everyday, either in the morning or late afternoon, as is the weather pattern for mtn region.
My solution was hanging delicates on hangars on bathroom rod after I get out of the shower, and also using retractable clothesline in screened in back porch. sun doesn't get on them, but they still dry and I don't have to be chained to the house for the occassional passing shower setting me backwards. I also don't have to worry about tree sap due to roof or bug-a-boos due to screens.
Whenever legislation gets enacted, things seem to get uglier IMO. I'd rather solve my own problems.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Oh yeah nothing is finer when you have company over grilling in the backyard and looking over in your neigbhors yard seeing they have grannies panties and grandpas thong on the line.
Oh please, I bet gramdpa dont wear no thongs and besides underware, which by the way we all wear, are so small that they can be hung close together on one pin close to the house...

get a life, its only clothes, you would think like what you were asked to look at....
I would rather look at clothes hanging on a line them some of the ugly people i see just walking around.

Yup folks, Im pro clothesline, and do have one !!

and here is a picture of mine....... I love it !!!
Attached Thumbnails
sun heat to dry clothes-1.jpg  

Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I compromise and do some dryer and do a lot of air drying.

Here is a nifty device I have found that i use to dry things on - like it very well for drying things like my shirts, lingerie, and stuff that does not wrinkle.

It is a tripod, completely collapsible. It is very sturdy. I use it inside or outside - depending on weather. Just put your damp clothes on hangers. Also, very nice outside by the pool or spa to use to hang towels on.

I got mine from QVC - # M7341 - Hangaway Collapsible Drying Rack. It is not like anything else I have seen b/f. I also use it to hang guests' coats on, and when I am packing, I use it to organize my packing.
Thanks Ani, what a great idea. When I was young we all hung our clothes out to dry. The clothes all smelled so fresh when we brought them in but
due to convenience it is almost a thing of the past. Glad you still do it though.

Dunroven

Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Our HOA forbids clotheslines unless you have a fence high enough to hide it. Guess what - I have a DECK with DECK FURNITURE that makes a great place to drape my clothes! Can't do sheets, and I wouldn't dream of hanging my underwear out, but shirts, pants, tablecloths go on the deck!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
More and more a going back to the clothes line with the way prices of everything are rising. Food will often wins out over a lower electric bill.

For those whose HOA don't allow I would try to get it changed. If they don't want to change then yes contact the media.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
one reason I don't care for HOA's! I prefer retractable clotheslines. When your sheets are dry, take them down, disconnect and violla!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House