Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 AM

237 posts, read 298,838 times

Advertisements

hoa doesnt allow clothesline drying (most places dont). is it possible that will be changing soon in the area. i m looking (starting to) look at other ideas: heard of racks and so on. any ideas of whether that trend may change and people may be allowed by hoa's to dry their clothes in the hot weather we got here?

the reason i m asking this has to do with global warming. if it is not a pressing enough problem then the question is moot. i thought the general sense is that we are at the point in time (pollution wise) where we have to lay the esthetics of it aside and view from practical point only? i may be wrong and reason i m asking.

Last edited by nail in da coffin; 04-29-2008 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Oh yeah nothing is finer when you have company over grilling in the backyard and looking over in your neigbhors yard seeing they have grannies panties and grandpas thong on the line.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
That would be OK if you lived in the country and didn't have neighbors...but most people would not want that to view clothes hanging in someone's back yard.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Does the HOA prohibit all outdoor drying or just clotheslines? If only clotheslines are prohibited then you can use a rack or umbrella type dryer. How about a clothesline in your garage with your garage door open? You won't get any sun but you will get circulating air.

I suggest neighbors who don't like the view keep their eyes in their own yards anyway. Ok, compromise...I won't hang up any underpants but you have to promise to not grill fish outside as I really can't stand the smell and your grilling smell always ends up on my property. I think HOA's should regulate nasal offenses as much as they do the visual ones.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Does the HOA prohibit all outdoor drying or just clotheslines? If only clotheslines are prohibited then you can use a rack or umbrella type dryer. How about a clothesline in your garage with your garage door open? You won't get any sun but you will get circulating air.

I suggest neighbors who don't like the view keep their eyes in their own yards anyway. Ok, compromise...I won't hang up any underpants but you have to promise to not grill fish outside as I really can't stand the smell and your grilling smell always ends up on my property. I think HOA's should regulate nasal offenses as much as they do the visual ones.
We don't have a back yard and grilling is NOT allowed in our building. You have to go down to the common area to grill out and the odor doesn't make it to the 5th floor.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
NCYank where do you live or where are you moving to?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
NCYank where do you live or where are you moving to?
hehe...we are in a small subdivision in UC...no HOA, and I don't even have a clothes line here, and neither do any of the neighbors. I do hang some things in my laundry room and occasionally drape a floor rug or beach towel across the front porch banister to dry in the sun. If I had a back porch I would hang them in the back instead, but I only have a patio slab.

I grew up with clotheslines up north. We didn't have AC and no way would my mom run the dryer in the summer.
My dad has since moved 'in town' and he and all of his neighbors still use clothes lines.

With all the interest in saving energy I am somewhat surprised to hear how vigorously some people protest air drying. Most people won't do it anyway.

BTW...a clothes line must be less objectionable than a train horn, no??

Old 04-29-2008, 02:28 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Maybe but I could drink every night and pass out to not hear the train horn

Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Maybe but I could drink every night and pass out to not hear the train horn
LOL...in that condition the clothesline shouldn't bother you either.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
hoa doesnt allow clothesline drying (most places dont). is it possible that will be changing soon in the area. i m looking (starting to) look at other ideas: heard of racks and so on. any ideas of whether that trend may change and people may be allowed by hoa's to dry their clothes in the hot weather we got here?

the reason i m asking this has to do with global warming. if it is not a pressing enough problem then the question is moot. i thought the general sense is that we are at the point in time (pollution wise) where we have to lay the esthetics of it aside and view from practical point only? i may be wrong and reason i m asking.
Have a tree with a low branch or two? If it's just the clothesline that's prohibied, get some plastic hangers at a dollar store & hang clothing on the hangers & hang those on a tree limb. Leave the under-clothes inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House