Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:59 AM

30 posts, read 18,183 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are interested to sleep with the whole family ( 2 parents, 2 kids ) in one room.

We've seen a giant family bed I a shop where is room for 5/6 people.

Our both kids keep their own room and bed too, we want that they can choose if they want sleep alone or all together, in one bed.

Are here some who have experiance with a family bed and family sleep room what are do do and don'ts of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 02:51 AM

61,712 posts, read 87,101,195 times
We can't possibly know what furniture you can or can't buy/order in your country.
Best guess - you probably would need to order by a furniture maker. Or invent an IKEA hack.
If you have seen such bed already - inquiry at the source.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
We had a plain old Cal King that accommodated us, the regular sneaky (large) dog (sometimes two), and any number of kids in the night and on Sunday mornings.

The oversize beds are 'orribly expensive in both initial cost and bedding, and unless you have a master bedroom the size of most starter houses (unfortunately quite common), they eat a lot of waking-hour room.

(I vastly prefer the Cal King shape to the standard King, and have no idea why the latter — too short and too wide — remains so popular.)

Old 07-11-2020, 09:58 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
We had a plain old Cal King that accommodated us, the regular sneaky (large) dog (sometimes two), and any number of kids in the night and on Sunday mornings.

The oversize beds are 'orribly expensive in both initial cost and bedding, and unless you have a master bedroom the size of most starter houses (unfortunately quite common), they eat a lot of waking-hour room.

(I vastly prefer the Cal King shape to the standard King, and have no idea why the latter — too short and too wide — remains so popular.)
If you're not 6' tall then why not go with the extra width - the width is what most are after...unless they are 6' tall and sleep stretched out on their backs. As a 5'5" side sleeper I want width.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you're not 6' tall then why not go with the extra width - the width is what most are after...unless they are 6' tall and sleep stretched out on their backs. As a 5'5" side sleeper I want width.
People have gotten a lot taller since the king was, well, king. I am not that tall (6') but I hate having my toes squished in a short bed.

Both sizes are around for good reason... but I discovered that Cal Kings are rare on the East Coast and special order only (both mattress/frame and bedding) here in Colorado. I find their rarity puzzling.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:30 AM

262 posts, read 164,561 times
We put a king size mattress directly on floor with a XL twin right adjacent. Worked out great with two babies born a year apart. Make sure same height. Never used the baby crib at all. A few tries, and was no bueno.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:22 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free35 View Post
Hi all,

We are interested to sleep with the whole family ( 2 parents, 2 kids ) in one room.

We've seen a giant family bed I a shop where is room for 5/6 people.

Our both kids keep their own room and bed too, we want that they can choose if they want sleep alone or all together, in one bed.

Are here some who have experiance with a family bed and family sleep room what are do do and don'ts of it?
I can’t fathom why you think this is a good idea..... I deliberately carried my children to their own beds because my bed is my space. Which I share with a few cats....

Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I can’t fathom why you think this is a good idea..... I deliberately carried my children to their own beds because my bed is my space.
There are different philosophies of parenting. Ours was that kids should be encouraged to sleep in their own bed or room, but allowed to sleep in ours if they got the lonelies or whatever. With a little encouragement it becomes a sometime thing, and nice on sleep-in winter mornings.

I don't think much of either extreme — either a regular "family bed" situation or all but forbidding children in the big bed.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:39 AM

262 posts, read 164,561 times
We moved kids back into own room when about age two - set up some Step2 loft climb up beds with toy storage below. They loved those. But with two babies, and with breast feeding, etc - family bed essential for me, and worked perfectly. If needed a little break from kids, we would go into another bedroom of house since we had 3 other bedrooms.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:59 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Our kids only got in bed with us if they were having a nightmare.
Co-sleeping is dangerous with infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House