Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:18 PM

6,337 posts, read 4,066,092 times

Advertisements

You might find this video helpful regarding wood flooring and humidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJT...&feature=share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 AM

10,045 posts, read 6,319,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
UPDATE:

Hygrometer shows 84% Humidity Level in the crawlspace - "WET"

I know this is bad, but just how bad?

Calling the super of the building tomorrow. Any idea what might need to be done here to fix this issue? I feel like a dehumidifier would only be a temporary fix unless it stays down there permanently. Plus that thing is damn noisy right under my bedroom.
Woah, 84% is very high. I know if it was my house (and my previous home's crawlspace did get that high humidity, btw), I would make sure there was a good vapor barrier; the foundation vents were closed and sealed; and install a commercial dehumidifier in the crawlspace. If you have one properly sized for the space, it doesn't have to be directly under the place where the floor is currently cupping; it will dehumidify the entire crawlspace to the required humidity level. I kept my crawlspace at 45% all the time and my house was on soil with a very high water table. This is just my personal experience and recommendation - YMMV.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,169,658 times
OP, like we've been telling you from the beginning, you need to figure out where the water is coming from, and eliminate that.

Until you do that, sticking a dehumidifier down there is going to be like baling the Titanic with a teacup.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:53 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,518,879 times
84% is very high. Just how bad is a function of temperature AND humidity. You can use this calculator to get an idea of what to expect. It definitely needs to be addressed or you'll continue to have floor problems and eventually mold.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 6,158 times
is there not a sheet of heavy plastic stapled to the floor joists to seal out moisture from the insulation.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 PM

268 posts, read 174,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman View Post
is there not a sheet of heavy plastic stapled to the floor joists to seal out moisture from the insulation.
If by that you mean the white "vapor barrier" sheets, no, there is nothing like that down there. I just wonder how it got that bad down there. While the vents are not sealed, 84% seems way too high. When the big leak was cleaned up last year, the levels were checked and it was completely dry and back to normal.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:09 AM

12 posts, read 6,158 times
if the crawlspace is vented to the outside, you have to have a barrier preventing moisture from getting to the joists. trying to dry out the crawlspace when open to the outside is futile. go buy a roll of plastic at home depot and staple across the whole underneath of floor- no gaps

Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM

Update: The super was told of the super high (84%) humidity level in my crawlspace. He said he doesn't know much about floors but he may have to call a floor guy to come in and assess. He told me that all crawlspaces in the development are likely as hot as mine (Really!???) and there's not much we can do about it. He said no mold has ever grown down there and by law they have to be vented.

He told me that he would be surprised if the humidity/moisture from the crawlspace is coming up through my floors as the fiberglass insulation they used was VERY thick not to mention he said there was some sort of paper barrier put below my floors as well. I told him ok, so why are my floors cupping? He still said he's unsure and would have to call a floor guy.

I don't care what anyone says, 84% humidity down there is playing a factor in what's going on with my floors. In my apartment itself the levels were around 55% when checked with my hygrometer. Now sure I don't keep my AC running every second of every day, but if my floors are cupping at the drop of a hat bc of an occasionally humid living/bedroom, then they must be the cheapest floors of all time.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated...

Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 PM

10,045 posts, read 6,319,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
Update: The super was told of the super high (84%) humidity level in my crawlspace. He said he doesn't know much about floors but he may have to call a floor guy to come in and assess. He told me that all crawlspaces in the development are likely as hot as mine (Really!???) and there's not much we can do about it. He said no mold has ever grown down there and by law they have to be vented.

He told me that he would be surprised if the humidity/moisture from the crawlspace is coming up through my floors as the fiberglass insulation they used was VERY thick not to mention he said there was some sort of paper barrier put below my floors as well. I told him ok, so why are my floors cupping? He still said he's unsure and would have to call a floor guy.

I don't care what anyone says, 84% humidity down there is playing a factor in what's going on with my floors. In my apartment itself the levels were around 55% when checked with my hygrometer. Now sure I don't keep my AC running every second of every day, but if my floors are cupping at the drop of a hat bc of an occasionally humid living/bedroom, then they must be the cheapest floors of all time.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated...
TBH. it sounds like you're going to have to negotiate a solution with your coop at this point. We can point out the scientific possibilities for the cupping, but your coop has to approve any remediation, am I correct?

Old 07-23-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
TBH. it sounds like you're going to have to negotiate a solution with your coop at this point. We can point out the scientific possibilities for the cupping, but your coop has to approve any remediation, am I correct?
Yes. But just generally speaking there is no reason a crawlspace should be at 84% humidity and remain that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House