Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM

268 posts, read 177,091 times

Advertisements

In September 2019 and the months that followed I went through a catastrophe when a major leak was found in my crawlspace which caused serious buckling/cupping of my hardwood floors. Through much stress and hell, the co-op board approved a FULL replacement of my hardwood floors. While it was an undertaking of moving all my furniture out, being displaced for several days, and a cleanup of all dust that I will never ever forget, it all felt worth it when the job was done. This was back at the end of January.

Fast forward to the beginning of July 2020, last week to be exact, and I thought I felt something just a TAD funny when walking on the floors. A few days later when I felt it again, I told myself, it couldn't be...

Then after a thorough inspection, my worst nightmare possible had come true. I felt some wavyness to my brand new hardwood floors. Indeed there was some cupping beginning in them. I had no words. I was speechless. I didn't even bother calling the super and instead went myself into the crawlspace. I found absolutely no signs of a leak. I also saw the brand new insulation that was put in after the original leak was cleaned up and the space dehumidified. Again, this was a massive leak back then.

This all being said.... NOW, here in July 2020, what in the world is causing this now in my new floors, and in the very same spots mind you (a few parts of my place the floors aren't affected). FYI the new wood was acclimated for a solid 4 days.

Is it possible there is still moisture down there somehow? Is it possible the subfloor was warped back during the original leak? If thats the case, how were the new hardwood floors able to be installed so perfectly flush? On top of all this, the floor guy did SEVERAL moisture readings before his installation began. The original leak happened in early September. Everything was cleaned up and finished by some point in November. It is the Summer now here in NY and I've read that hardwood floors can kinda cup a bit due to humidity and then return to normal in the Fall/Winter, but idk, I personally have never experienced that in the near 5 years I've lived here, not to mention have never seen that happen to anyone else's floors in my life.

Someone.... Anyone... Please help...

Last edited by LI7788; 07-12-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 04:36 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
In September 2019 and the months that followed I went through a catastrophe when a major leak was found in my crawlspace which caused serious buckling/cupping of my hardwood floors. Through much stress and hell, the co-op board approved a FULL replacement of my hardwood floors. While it was an undertaking of moving all my furniture out, being displaced for several days, and a cleanup of all dust that I will never ever forget, it all felt worth it when the job was done. This was back at the end of January.

Fast forward to the beginning of July 2020, last week to be exact, and I thought I felt something just a TAD funny when walking on the floors. A few days later when I felt it again, I told myself, it couldn't be...

Then after a thorough inspection, my worst nightmare possible had come true. I felt some wavyness to my brand new hardwood floors. Indeed there was some cupping beginning in them. I had no words. I was speechless. I didn't even bother calling the super and instead went myself into the crawlspace. I found absolutely no signs of a leak. I also saw the brand new insulation that was put in after the original leak was cleaned up and the space dehumidified. Again, this was a massive leak back then.

This all being said.... NOW, here in July 2020, what in the world is causing this now in my new floors, and in the very same spots mind you (a few parts of my place the floors aren't affected). FYI the new wood was acclimated for a solid 4 days.

Is it possible there is still moisture down there somehow? Is it possible the subfloor was warped back during the original leak? If thats the case, how were the new hardwood floors able to be installed so perfectly flush? On top of all this, the floor guy did SEVERAL moisture readings before his installation began. The original leak happened in early September. Everything was cleaned up and finished by some point in November. It is the Summer now here in NY and I've read that hardwood floors can kinda cup a bit due to humidity and then return to normal in the Fall/Winter, but idk, I personally have never experienced that in the near 5 years I've lived here, not to mention have never seen that happen to anyone else's floors in my life.

You said that the crawlspace was dehumidified after the leak. Was there no crawlspace dehumidifier installed there to keep the humidity at a constant level? If not, that would be my first suggestion.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 PM

Thanks for your response. The dehumidifier was in there for several days post leak stoppage and it did the job of bringing the moisture levels way down to the point where it was all good and normal again. I lived here for 4 years before that leak and never had an issue with cupped floors or any crawlspace moisture/humidity, etc issues. Because of this, why would a dehumidifier have to be installed permanently if the levels were checked several times post cleanup and were shown to be good? The leak was stopped and everything that could have been done afterwards (to my knowledge) was done to make things right. New insulation, too.

Tomorrow I will ask the co-op board to do a moisture level check anyway, but yeah, this is where I'm at..

Side note for anyone reading incase you missed it, but... The floors were installed in the dead of winter, late January. The cupping started in what I would believe had to have been late June. Seems like signs might point to humidity, but again, 4 years pre original leak with the old floors and never had a problem with them.

Last edited by LI7788; 07-12-2020 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Crawl space- vapor barrier? Vented or not?

Floor penetrations sealed? Vapor barrier on subfloor?

Do you have central HVAC? How long does it run? At what temp is the t/stat set?

Old 07-12-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Crawl space- vapor barrier? Vented or not?

Floor penetrations sealed? Vapor barrier on subfloor?

Do you have central HVAC? How long does it run? At what temp is the t/stat set?

Crawl space floor is concrete. Entrance is a wooden pull up gate kind of thing. To the left of that there are 10 square holes in the bricks going through to the crawlspace. Not sure if you consider that vented or not.

Floor penetrations and vapor barrier on subfloor I honestly have no idea. I was not present during the installations. I just keep going back to the fact that for 4 years prior to all this craziness the floors never showed any signs of issues like this, or at least none that I noticed, and I'm pretty anal when it comes to my place. I probably would have felt this wavyness of my floors on my feet in those 4 years.

I have two wall unit air conditioners. The main one in my living room runs pretty often during the summer. The other in my bedroom I ONLY turn on when I sleep. It should be noted that the bedroom is one of the worst areas with the floors, but that being said, again, going back to the original cause of the buckling/cupping last year was in fact a massive leak. I saw no leak at all when down there today. Nothing.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:32 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Crawl space floor is concrete. Entrance is a wooden pull up gate kind of thing. To the left of that there are 10 square holes in the bricks going through to the crawlspace. Not sure if you consider that vented or not.

Floor penetrations and vapor barrier on subfloor I honestly have no idea. I was not present during the installations. I just keep going back to the fact that for 4 years prior to all this craziness the floors never showed any signs of issues like this, or at least none that I noticed, and I'm pretty anal when it comes to my place. I probably would have felt this wavyness of my floors on my feet in those 4 years.

I have two wall unit air conditioners. The main one in my living room runs pretty often during the summer. The other in my bedroom I ONLY turn on when I sleep. It should be noted that the bedroom is one of the worst areas with the floors, but that being said, again, going back to the original cause of the buckling/cupping last year was in fact a massive leak. I saw no leak at all when down there today. Nothing.
Have you put a hygrometer in either your living room or your bedroom (preferably both)? You can get inexpensive ones on Amazon quickly, or even Home Depot or Lowes. I'd be curious what the RH (relative humidity) level is in those rooms.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Have you put a hygrometer in either your living room or your bedroom (preferably both)? You can get inexpensive ones on Amazon quickly, or even Home Depot or Lowes. I'd be curious what the RH (relative humidity) level is in those rooms.
Never owned one. I'd be curious too.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:

Do you have anything in the home that can give you an accurate humidity reading? Recently had an A/C drain line clog and we were wondering why the indoor humidity was 82%...

Old 07-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Do you have anything in the home that can give you an accurate humidity reading? Recently had an A/C drain line clog and we were wondering why the indoor humidity was 82%...
No, I don't. But lets just say for argument sake I had a hygrometer and it showed high humidity. What would my next step even be? How would I determine where the humidity is actually coming from?

Old 07-12-2020, 07:27 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
Moisture is definitely the culprit. It could be the RH level in your house is too high, or the subfloor is still wet, or the crawlspace humidity is too high. Vented crawlspaces eventually reach nearly the level of outdoor RH. If the insulation you mentioned is fiberglass between the floor joists, it only makes the problem worse by holding moisture against the subfloor.

Here's some basic info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House