Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 06:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sorry folks, making your house smell like a French wh***house won't take away bad smells. Just clean things up and ventilate!
Since when does essential oils smell like a courtesan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Since when does essential oils smell like a courtesan?
Since they were first used to mask odors?

There is nothing essential about essential oils.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I don't have a stinky room. I clean my room often. There's a slight faint odor. I'm pretty sure it's the furniture. I'm only noticing this because I'm working from home. If I had my usual routine I wouldn't even care. I would just come home to sleep and not even notice it.
I don't mean this to be a rude question; are you bathing as often as you did when you were going into the office? I know I haven't working from home.

But a steam cleaner for your furniture may help.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I don't have a stinky room. I clean my room often. There's a slight faint odor. I'm pretty sure it's the furniture. I'm only noticing this because I'm working from home. If I had my usual routine I wouldn't even care. I would just come home to sleep and not even notice it.
I was wondering if you had old furniture or carpet that was causing it. How about getting them professionally cleaned, or at least get some Febreeze for fabrics? The commercials say it eliminates odors rather than cover them up.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:25 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was wondering if you had old furniture or carpet that was causing it. How about getting them professionally cleaned, or at least get some Febreeze for fabrics? The commercials say it eliminates odors rather than cover them up.
Hmm, not sure about that. I have a house on the market at the moment and one touring realtor commented there was a musty odor in the front entry hall. The only "soft" surface in the hall is a large carpeted doormat. The floor itself is tile and there are no moisture problems in the house otherwise. I suspected the mat holds on to moisture from wet shoes longer than it should. So, I experimented...just used Febreeze on it yesterday. The scent was OVERWHELMING hours later. Opened all the windows and the door to get rid of it. I'll never do that again!

Old 07-20-2020, 10:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, that’s what you get for listening to me! Lol.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:23 AM

15 posts, read 66,298 times
Here are some tips to help your house scent well:

1. Cleaning soft surfaces often; this would be carpets and drapes. We cleaned them every 3 months.
2. Cleaning in general, especially your kitchen. The fridge was cleaned every few months for sure, as was the area around our fridge/stove.
3. Lots of real plants; they absolutely do change the smell of the air, and the smell of the wet dirt is "pleasant" to many people (me, namely).
4. Use essential oils

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-06-2022 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
You mentioned that it's probably the furniture. At the end of your work week vacuum it well. That includes removing any cushions or pillows and vacuuming underneath. Sprinkle baking soda on the cushions and seat. Let it sit overnight at least. Vacuum again.

And OP, nothing gets rid of a funky odor better than fresh air. I know it's getting cold in many places so opening a window isn't appealing. Do it anyway. Close the door and open the window for at least 15 minutes to air out the room.

My husband was recently changing a lock on one of our exterior doors. To do so the door needed to be opened a bit. It was amazing how much better the house smelled because that single door was slightly open for a short time.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:48 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
A spray mix of baking soda and water is supposedly good for odors. A bowl of vinegar or some charcoal also can help.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:36 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Fresh air!

Open the windows and doors!

Perfume is just perfume. A stinky musty house full of perfume doesn't stop smelling stinky and musty, it just smells like a stinky musty house with perfume laid over it. You aren't fooling anyone.

Clean, and ventilate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House