Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 02:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

DeWalt has a new line of 60v. battery operated tools that includes a chainsaw in the line. They're expensive, but reviews have been outstanding. I think Home Depot carries them, at least by special order.

I hear DeWalt is coming out with a 120v. battery operated line, but don't think it's available yet. You might look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 PM

821 posts, read 464,504 times
I have a Stihl "O26 Woodboss" I've had for over 30 years and it is a great saw. That's my "heavy" saw and my "light" saw for limbs up to 4 or 5" is a cheap Remington electric pole saw you can remove the saw from. I laughed at my wife when she got it for me but I use it a lot more than the Stihl. I think electric with the cord is the way to go for cutting limbs and stuff.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:40 PM

5,957 posts, read 3,706,857 times
I have a gasoline powered chain saw and battery powered pole saw. The battery powered saw is enough for 98% of the jobs I need a chain saw for. In fact, I haven't used the gas powered saw in years.

If you're going out into the woods and cutting up several truckloads of firewood for the winter, then get a gas powered saw. If you want something to keep the limbs trimmed on the trees in your yard and perhaps even cut down a small tree occasionally, then a battery powered pole saw works great.

Years ago, I had an electric powered chain saw. It's cheap and it cuts well, but the cord is such a hassle that I wouldn't own one today.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
At work we use the Stihl battery operated chainsaws. I ordered an AC powered one. Both work equally well for cutting through telephone poles.

Don't be afraid of cell degradation with Lithium ion batteries. It's just not a thing. Not in our lifetime. The old NiCd batteries had horrible wear and memory effects, requiring long, inconvenient charging times. You can slap a Li-ion on the charger and before your 2nd battery is dead, the first one is already charged.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:03 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
We have a corded electric chainsaw. It will cut anything up to about 10” easily but it’s not a replacement for a gas chainsaw for big jobs. I had a big tree come down in my back yard in April. You can’t get more than a Bobcat into my back yard. I cut all the limbs and dragged them to the front yard. I used a tree service to dice up the trunk and chip everything. The crew is $1,800/day. I trimmed a 1 day project to $500.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:14 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
I have a nice gas chainsaw, but was thinking about getting one of these for the times you don't want to drag out the mixed gas and oil.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ha...d-tools/gta26/
(It does still need bar oil.)

Old 07-19-2020, 09:04 AM

5,957 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have a nice gas chainsaw, but was thinking about getting one of these for the times you don't want to drag out the mixed gas and oil.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ha...d-tools/gta26/
(It does still need bar oil.)
That's a weird looking saw. I'm not so sure that I would want a one-handed chain saw. It seems that using a saw one-handed would tire your arm much quicker, but more importantly, it gives little control against kick-back or any other sudden movement of the saw. Nope, when I'm using something that could badly mangle a leg or other body part in the blink of an eye, I want TWO hands on that sucker. I value my body parts too much to do otherwise.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
unless you're a lumberjack or need to cut down a ton of trees at the trunk, a quality battery chainsaw from a reputable brand (milwaukee, dewalt, etc.) will more than suffice.
I have a milwaukee 18v powerhead that comes with a pole saw attachment (along with string trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer) and it handles branches like a champ.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
DeWalt has a new line of 60v. battery operated tools
[...]
I hear DeWalt is coming out with a 120v. battery operated line...
Great. We're now up to battery powered tools you can electrocute yourself with. (Anyone remember 90V radio batteries?)

I think at a certain point the voltage becomes a meaningless tradeoff, something of a nineteenth speed on a blender. 36V or so has long been the sweet spot for high-current, DC-powered gear (as it was for 32VDC appliances, once upon a time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House