Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Apparently, customers sometimes have to wait months for an appliance order to be delivered and installed.

We found about about this yesterday when we went to a local appliance store (not Lowe's or HD)to buy a new counter depth SS refrigerator. They had none of the models I wanted to look at in stock and no idea when they would be getting more of them. This is a large appliance dealer.

The salesman told us he would be getting 2 counter depth, SS refrigerators in during the week. If we wanted one, we'd have to buy it right there or it would be gone within hours. I went home and checked the stock at 6 or 7 local stores and he was right. We called back and ordered it over the phone. Not exactly what I wanted but the alternative is maybe waiting months.

There seems to be shortages in all appliances, but refrigerators and freezers are the worst. Freezers because people would rather make fewer trips to the grocery stores if possible.

Anyone else encountered this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 07:36 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
No shortage in OKC.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
I've been waiting over a month for a GE fridge. As of last week, there were 300 "in transit" with no actual delivery date available. It's a good thing my Samsung hasn't actually died yet.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:01 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I don’t know about appliances- not in the market for anything. But I can certainly say there is a huge shortage of pressure-treated lumber.

Apparently mills and treaters put themselves behind the 8-ball thinking there wouldn’t be much demand with the pandemic; how wrong they were! DIY’er staying home found lots of projects around their house (staring at it for hours on end)- now the mills and treaters are trying to play catch-up with extra shifts. Unfortunately, personnel is short- for a few thousand reasons! I’m sure the appliance shortage is in the same boat for the same reasons.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I've been waiting over a month for a GE fridge. As of last week, there were 300 "in transit" with no actual delivery date available. It's a good thing my Samsung hasn't actually died yet.
You were smart to order it before you actually needed it! My refrigerator is showing 76 degrees.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I've heard of quite a few people having trouble buying freezers and refrigerators. Out of curiosity I looked at our local Lowe's. Delivery for a chest freezer is estimated for November. Upright freezers are sold out and no dates are given for availability.

They had a few French door refrigerators in stock, but the most basic models are sold out with no estimated dates for availability. If I was looking for a second fridge, I'd go with a basic model.

Results at Home Depot and Best Buy were similar. Unfortunately the last local new appliance dealer in my town closed at the beginning of the year. The long time owner retired. I know when our local Habitat Restore gets fridges, they sell pretty quickly lately.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I don’t know about appliances- not in the market for anything. But I can certainly say there is a huge shortage of pressure-treated lumber.
No kidding. I have a project that needs about 200 feet of 4 x 4. When my genetically descended labor came for a stay a couple of weeks ago, that was number one on the list. But 4 by 4 PT is up there with hand sanitizer and toilet paper, totally unobtainable.

I just saw some on the racks, at about double the price of before. I had budgeted around a buck a foot, and this was well over two. Huge, stupid pain in the a$$...

Old 07-20-2020, 09:52 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
...in the closing days of a deck project (this project has been in the design phase for over a year- not a corona whim)- I had to go to a supplier 75mi away for material- all the local metro suppliers were either out of material or gouging.

Those that were out of PT said their wholesale spokespeople are telling them they don’t know when more is coming- literally no date at all!

Old 07-20-2020, 12:30 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,074 times
My MIL bought a new washer and dryer back at the beginning of May with delivery scheduled for the last week of May. Washer was delivered on time. Dryer wasn't delivered until last week. Lowes gave her no warning that it would take that long when she bought them. My guess is production was slowed during March and April due to Covid, but demand spiked with people replacing old appliances with stimulus checks.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Took 4 1/2 weeks for Lowe's to deliver my Whirlpool refrigerator that I ordered June 2, originally expected to be delivered in a week. They changed the date twice. Previous orders from Lowe's arrived in a week or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House