Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how you deal with outdoor furniture cushions. The options I can thinking are:
1. Leave them outside on the furniture, knowing that the sun, rain, etc will probably destroy them in a couple of years.
2. Leave them on the furniture, but use plastic covers to protect them (what do you do with those covers when not in use?)
3. Bring the cushions inside your garage or house whenever they are not in use (best for making the cushions last, but a lot of work every time you need them).
4. Some kind of nearby, outdoor storage, like a deck box (Are those things truly waterproof? Might need several if you have a lot of furniture, then where do you put all those deck boxes?)
5. A mini-barn (but a lot of HOAs don't allow them).

Please elaborate on what has worked best for you. I've recently replaced my cushions, would like to keep them looking nice for a while, so I have been dragging them into the sunroom every evening (making that room unusable because of all the cushions on the floor!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 06:56 PM

137 posts, read 120,408 times
I have done pretty much all of the above. My pillows and deep seat cushions on my front porch stay year round because of it being decorative and the porch is covered so minimal weather impact. We just don’t sit out there. It is all for curb appeal.

The ones in the backyard around the fire pit sat in the hot sun and only lasted about 3 years...even as Sunbrella material until they essentially disintegrated. It was then that I realized how many hundreds of dollars it was going to be to replace them and I didn’t want to get new furniture. So, I waited until it was clearance post-summer and bought a new set of 4 and put them in a box in storage until the next season. Now I keep them out but when the weather is extreme or we know that we won’t be using them for an extended period of time, they get stashed in the garage or shed. That said, our dining table on the back patio has cushions year round since we use that more often and those cushions are relatively cheap to replace since they are regular chair sized and a dime a dozen in the stores.

I guess it comes down to you weighing out the cost, effort and labor with the inability to comfortably use the room you toss them all in to the expense of replacing every few years. I do think a nice deck box to toss them in for extended periods of time would be the simplest, least laborious most cost effective way. Not sure that this has helped, but hope it has.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:16 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Get a large Rubbermaid plastic chest to store cushions when not being used that sits next to the chairs. Can also be used for a table and additional seating. That's what my mom does. Keep cushions clean and dry, just a few seconds to get out and put away.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Works very well-

https://www.scotchgard.com/3M/en_US/...4529207&rt=rud

Old 07-23-2020, 09:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
You left off one option:

Don't use fabric cushions on outdoor furniture, due to dust, bugs, mice, air pollution, and moisture.

That one's worked well for me and my family for 50+ years now.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You left off one option:

Don't use fabric cushions on outdoor furniture, due to dust, bugs, mice, air pollution, and moisture.

That one's worked well for me and my family for 50+ years now.

So did corn cobs in the outhouse!

Old 07-23-2020, 10:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Well, superior modern alternatives to corn cobs and privies now exist. Till squirrels, mice, and chipmunks stop wanting soft materials to line their nests (or to become their nests), till air pollution, rain, dust, mist and mold are somehow magically obsoleted, I'm not sure what the superior modern strategy would be to prevent outside fabric cushions from getting skanky after a while. I've got a few ideas:

Dip 'em in Plasti-Dip
Make the covers out of .125" EPDM and solvent weld them together rather than sewing
Make the cushions out of concrete

And so on...

Old 07-23-2020, 10:20 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I have a screened porch w/a "sofa" w/cushions, in the evenings after use and when rain is called for I have the bottom cushions in 1 lawn & leaf bag each and the back cushions each in a kitchen trash bag. When I uncover them I just fold the bags up and put them under the cushion seats - takes maybe 2 mins. or so.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
We use a Resin storage bench. Don't know the brand, suncast maybe? My dad has a similar plastic box that serves as a coffee table ebtween two chairs.

It's water proof enough that I've never had wet cushions or water stains on the cushions.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:32 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
When not in use, I place the cushions in heavy duty plastic bags and leave them out. When wanting to use, I remove the bag, fold it, and place it underneath the cushion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House