Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
PNH PNH started this thread

44 posts, read 222,625 times

Advertisements

I am going to be putting in new flooring in a house I just bought, and I'm trying to decide what type to choose. The new flooring will be installed over a wood sub-floor in the entire living area, including the kitchen, as well as the master bedroom and stairs.

I love the look and feel of hardwood, and am considering site-installed hardwood floors, but I am also a very lazy housekeeper, and so am considering high quality laminate. I also would like to make an environmentally conscious choice, so I've been thinking about bamboo.

I have an almost-teenager and a couple of dogs. I don't mind the somewhat weathered patina that hardwood gets, but I don't want to get something that will be really damaged by doggy toenails, or something that I will have to fuss over all the time.

What are your experiences? What are your recommendations? What mistakes should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
Worst thing I ever did was install bamboo hardwood. It scratches easy, dents, and for the life of me - i can't keep it clean. I sweep/vacuum/wash, and it still looks dirty with footprints, pawprints and dustbunnies. It is slippery with wet shoes. I hate it. Hate hardwood.

We had wall to wall carpet and linolium in kitchen, and that was great. I know - most people don't liek carpet, but not me. Warm. Easy to clean. Hides dirt. Not slippery with wet shoes.

I wish we hadn't done hardwood.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
I second loving linoleum in the kitchen (and bathrooms). My former house came with marble tile and that was awful because it chipped if you dropped anything. Lino is easy to clean and sturdy.

I have parquet flooring in my dining room and living room. It was easier to install than laminate and looks better because it's real wood. I LOVE the parquet design and look! Now it WILL scratch from doggy nails if they're not kept short BUT there's a new Orange Glow product that cleans and restores in one go. I love the parquet -- it's so pretty!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
I have hardwood (oak) throught the first floor, and i love it!!

I have three little boys, and although the floor gets some dings from the matchbox cars and dropped light sabers, for the most aprt - it holds up well.

Keeping it clean is easy - swiffer vac, best thing I ever bought. It vacuums and dusts the floors at the same time. I rarely ever have to wash the less used rooms, only the kitchen and hallways.

I hate vinyl flooring. I've seen the new stuff, and yea, it looks good, but I still know it's vinyl. Tile is a not for me - too hard and cold.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
I have a few of my rooms that are tile. tile is low maintenance and will hold up well to doggy paws. i love my floors, they look nice and are very easy to take care of. just some food for thought.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Linoleum is a good and environmentally sound choice for the kitchen, and much safer than laminate if the unthinkable happens and there's a fire at your house.

Otherwise, hardwood is the best choice. I rarely fuss over my floors other than to dust them a couple times a week (stupid cats ... argh ... ) and wash them down a couple times a year. I've got area rugs on high traffic areas, and the stairs and hall are carpeted. I like the feel of carpet on stairs.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
I have had all types and I think I like the tile or lam better. My hardwoods knicked when something was dropped on them (like a pot-left a huge knick) they were bruse gunstock hardwoods and they were BEAUTIFUL but it drove me nuts to see prefection get knicked. I currently have porc tile and I like it a lot. Lanolium is fine..just not as nice in my opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,497 times
Our entry (foyer), powder bath, laundry and kitchen are all 15x15 porcelain tile and we LOVE it. Super easy to keep clean and very low maintenance. We've had one tile crack in 3 years (we have about 900 sq ft of tile on the main floor) and it took 10 minutes to replace and re-grout. Bedrooms, family room, study and formal areas are high-grade, hard-wearing carpet.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I have two large dogs and they have nicked up the hardwood floors but I still love them.
I hate the cheap and fake look of laminate - no matter how well made it is - it still looks cheap

Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
My entire house (kitchen, living room, bedrooms, etc) has 15x15 porcelain tile. I used to have carpet and hated it but hesitated to have tile installed throughout the whole house. Now I wonder why I waited so long. I truly love the look of the tile and ease of care. (Roombas and Scoobas keep it spotless.)

Yes, the floors are very cold in the winter but the benefits far outweigh my having to wear socks three months out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House