Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 01:49 PM

743 posts, read 877,763 times

Advertisements

I need to re-carpet my office (it's a bedroom that is now my office). I brought some very large carpet remnants from our other house. The carpet is really nice and I just couldn't leave it or throw it away. Anyway, I wanted to use these "scraps" to re-carpet this office but when I had a carpet installer come out to give a bid on carpeting another bedroom, he said that the nap has to all run the same way so basically I don't have anywhere near enough remnants to do this room.

Does it really matter? Would it look odd? I thought by putting the largest piece in the front as you walk in, and then piece the back and under my 2 large desks, skip the closet because the carpet is very similar in color...Basically it boils down to:

1. not wanting to toss this carpet I already paid for
2. not wanting to pay a lot of money for new carpet, just the install
3. as long as it looks okay, I don't care. There's not a lot of carpet showing because I have a lot of furniture in this room.
4. If we ever sell, I can get new carpet then.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 02:10 PM

6,370 posts, read 4,196,292 times
The carpet installer is definitely correct, the nap and all of the cut carpet pieces all must run in the same direction or it will definitely stick out and appear as those pieces are totally different dye lots.

Depending on the size of the remnants vs the room size, you could have the carpet edges all bound and just use the carpet as area rugs. I’m sure the installed offered that as an option.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:13 PM

No he didn't offer that as an option. He did say that the remnants could be cut so that they would all go the right direction, but he said that they don't do that if there's more than 2-3 cuts. Do you think if there were 3-4 cuts that it would matter or show? Thank you

Old 07-25-2020, 02:15 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Depends on the carpet. The guy is correct overall.

Office carpet is typically low pile compared to household carpet. If you want something that works, you might check around for any banks that are remodeling. Typically, they replace the carpet even though it has very low wear, and because impressions are important, banks often have a nice grade of carpet. It commonly gets tossed by the installer of the new carpet.

Piecing and seaming can be done with carpet, but unless it is a match, the pile is long enough to hide the seam, and there is no shrinkage from humidity or other causes, it can be pretty obvious. Personally, if I was doing the install myself in an art room where the carpet was going to get trashed anyway, I might do it. To pay someone to do a crap job in a room where it might matter makes little sense to me. YMMV

Old 07-25-2020, 02:20 PM

It's just my office and no one goes in there except me.

I really really want to use the carpet remnants that we brought with us! I guess if it doesn't work I need to think of something else. I have recently thought about just pulling up the carpet and pad and getting a large area rug. It would probably be cheaper than carpet based on what I just paid for a smaller room.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:22 PM

I should note that my house is an old adobe home and very rustic. Pulling up the carpet and pad would fit right in. Only 2 rooms have carpet, the rest of the house is red brick.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:44 PM

6,370 posts, read 4,196,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
No he didn't offer that as an option. He did say that the remnants could be cut so that they would all go the right direction, but he said that they don't do that if there's more than 2-3 cuts. Do you think if there were 3-4 cuts that it would matter or show? Thank you
If there are too many pieces it’s a lot more work for the installer so perhaps that may be the reason he’s not enthused about giving you a price. I have seen rooms before with excessive seams that were virtually invisible, so it’s definitely possible but not preferred. You would locate the seams in an inconspicuous spot in the room, preferably under furniture.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
If there are too many pieces it’s a lot more work for the installer so perhaps that may be the reason he’s not enthused about giving you a price. I have seen rooms before with excessive seams that were virtually invisible, so it’s definitely possible but not preferred. You would locate the seams in an inconspicuous spot in the room, preferably under furniture.
That's so helpful. Thank you very much for responding. I think the next step is to lay the carpet out upside down in the garage to see exactly how many pieces there will actually be. I'm sure if I ask around I can find someone experienced to do the install. Thanks again.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:57 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I came to say this. We had two bedrooms re-carpeted from HD and the quote for carpet needed was way higher than the 10% I factored in for overage. They said otherwise I’d have extra seams, but since one was going to be a nursery and the other a guest bedroom I didn’t care. I could barley see the seems when he showed me (my wife couldn’t when she got home) and I couldn’t point them out today if you paid me to. I took the leftover piece to be bonded (probably 10x12, my wife is sleeping or I’d go measure) that cost like .75-.85c a linear foot? I just remember it was around $35 for a matching rug for the master bedroom.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
It sounds as though your installer is a professional and doesn't want to leave you with a job that is less than perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House