Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 01:06 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I'm selling my Dewalt 10 tool now for $650 unused, in the box, which is now at $800 at Home Depot.

Is that a “capital profit”!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 10:38 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is that a “capital profit”!?
No...Prophets

Old 08-07-2020, 11:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Ryobi had a set for like 6-7 tools for $200. But I rather by a nice cordless drill like DeWALT XR with hammer drill option and maybe a 7.5 inch saw than to buy a kit i'll never use.

I'm selling my Dewalt 10 tool now for $650 unused, in the box, which is now at $800 at Home Depot.
The kit you bought is nice and you might find the stuff that you use more than you think.

I think the light and sawzall might get more use than you anticipate, especially if you buy an inexpensive case of the diablo blades.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The kit you bought is nice and you might find the stuff that you use more than you think.

I think the light and sawzall might get more use than you anticipate, especially if you buy an inexpensive case of the diablo blades.
I'm debating on returning it and just getting the DeWALT xR brushless drill and circular saw. No point of having all these tools collecting dust.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
I'm debating on returning it and just getting the DeWALT xR brushless drill and circular saw. No point of having all these tools collecting dust.
Have you considered purchasing tools only if and when you need them?

What is the first project you want to tackle?

Old 08-08-2020, 01:15 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
#1 - your kid may not want your tools. They may not be 'handy', or they just might see your stuff as "old junk".

maybe an analog from the kitchen side of the house, is I watched my mother collect Waterford Crystal and Lenox China. None of her grandkids have ever expressed any interest - and I felt sad after my ex wife's mother died, nobody wanted her china set either. It went to the Goodwill.

having said that, I was given a starter set by my father when I moved out, and prolly stole a few when he wasn't looking. A few of them I still have to this day, and others have been replaced when I felt the need. I'm going to say the 3/8 AC drill in solid silver color is my fathers, it's easily 40 years old.

Do you have a fetish for color-n-brand-matching toolsets? Get over it. You buy the tools you need, at the time you need them. I thought I had every reasonable tool, until I bought a motorcycle - 22mm+24mm sockets! 3 foot breaker bar is a waste of time, get a 6 foot! Low on funds, buy chinese tools at Harbor Freight with names like "Milwaukee" but still made in China! Buy top-shelf tools, get them stolen at the jobsite. Right now you might consider yourself a DIY Homeowner, but maybe later you'll get into wood and discover the joy of a burnt edge caused by a router. I'm into PVC pipes lately. When I was a teen, I was into plastics. I haven't touched a coping saw since Tupac died. So I'm saying your needs change.

My point is, once you get to a certain level of complexity and experience, all my tools were from 15 different brands spread out over 3 decades of purchases. 4 if you include my father's drill from above. I guess I'll hand it back to him in the Afterlife.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:

You are unlikely to get anywhere near $650 for the set. May as well keep them.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Have you considered purchasing tools only if and when you need them?

What is the first project you want to tackle?
I only got the set because I thought it was a great deal till later I found those are all brushed models and I really had no project coming up that I'd really need to put them to use so I just decided to return them. I'll just buy the brushless one at a time as I need them overtime.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:35 AM

7 posts, read 2,204 times
I'm not a carpenter at all but when I need a circular saw I prefer to borrow it from a friend or neighbor. I also own a tools from various brands and I gathered my toolbox by trial and error.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
#1 - your kid may not want your tools. They may not be 'handy', or they just might see your stuff as "old junk".

maybe an analog from the kitchen side of the house, is I watched my mother collect Waterford Crystal and Lenox China. None of her grandkids have ever expressed any interest - and I felt sad after my ex wife's mother died, nobody wanted her china set either. It went to the Goodwill.

having said that, I was given a starter set by my father when I moved out, and prolly stole a few when he wasn't looking. A few of them I still have to this day, and others have been replaced when I felt the need. I'm going to say the 3/8 AC drill in solid silver color is my fathers, it's easily 40 years old.

Do you have a fetish for color-n-brand-matching toolsets? Get over it. You buy the tools you need, at the time you need them. I thought I had every reasonable tool, until I bought a motorcycle - 22mm+24mm sockets! 3 foot breaker bar is a waste of time, get a 6 foot! Low on funds, buy chinese tools at Harbor Freight with names like "Milwaukee" but still made in China! Buy top-shelf tools, get them stolen at the jobsite. Right now you might consider yourself a DIY Homeowner, but maybe later you'll get into wood and discover the joy of a burnt edge caused by a router. I'm into PVC pipes lately. When I was a teen, I was into plastics. I haven't touched a coping saw since Tupac died. So I'm saying your needs change.

My point is, once you get to a certain level of complexity and experience, all my tools were from 15 different brands spread out over 3 decades of purchases. 4 if you include my father's drill from above. I guess I'll hand it back to him in the Afterlife.
You make valid point and gives me something to think about. I’m more of a technology guy who works in technology. I really don’t think my hobbies will last around doing DIY around the house much to a point I’ll need more than a compact drill. I used my 3 yr old black and decker drill to fasten a screw into a brick yesterday and all I used was a concrete drill bit cost me $5 on amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House