Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,186,812 times

Advertisements

We had the house painted, added onto the covered porch and replaced wood with composite decking. Had to get a new pool pump and vacuum due to an electrical charge that fried both a couple weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 07:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I'm up to 7 weeks myself. Gotta keep an eye on that accrual cap if you have it. I max out at 8 weeks, so I'm starting to take a day off here and there. Daily expenses are so low now (no eating out, no bridge tolls, etc.) that we'll have plenty of $$ saved up for a nice trip in 2021.
My accrual cap is 12 weeks, so I still have some wiggle room. Like you, my daily expenses have dropped considerably, so the combination of additional savings and additional vacation time is going to pay off at some point.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I can't afford to redo my kitchen so I'm going to paint the cabinets and countertop and change out the knobs. They sell kits at Lowe's that can make a Formica counter look similar to granite. I'm also picking out a color for an accent wall in the living/dining room.

After that I'm going to paint the horrid green bathtub in the hall bathroom white. The commode and vanity has already been painted and I'm thinking about a small chandelier in that same bathroom. I'm spending way too much time on HGTV.....

Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Finished repainting the outside of our house. Re-stained the deck and repainted the railings. Had all of our windows replaced. Resided the workshop and painted the outside, then reorganized the inside. Wife ordered all new appliances for the kitchen, i get to install everything. This Weekend I get to install a new light above the front door. Thinking of adding two more outside wired security cameras.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I can't afford to redo my kitchen so I'm going to paint the cabinets and countertop and change out the knobs. They sell kits at Lowe's that can make a Formica counter look similar to granite. I'm also picking out a color for an accent wall in the living/dining room.

After that I'm going to paint the horrid green bathtub in the hall bathroom white. The commode and vanity has already been painted and I'm thinking about a small chandelier in that same bathroom. I'm spending way too much time on HGTV.....
Brain dead yesterday morning. I didn't paint the commode and vanity. I bought new ones when I moved into this house.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:20 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
I focus on repairs and things that will improve the efficiency of the home. Function first, design second. We’ve already replaced our entire central air system with a more efficient model. I’ve replaced a broken ceiling fan and a fluorescent light fixture that was about to go out. Now that the lawnmower is repaired I can focus on bringing the yard back up to where I want it to be. Wife replaced the living room furniture. Originally we had a recliner that wasn’t working right, an old stained recliner that was working right but caused a pain in my leg from the worn out cushioning, and a loveseat. Passed the loveseat and newer recliner to wife’s sister. Got two new powered recliners with built in USB charging ports (wife has physical issues) and matching sofa with built in recliners on the ends. She’s looking to replace the dinning room table & chairs as well as the master bedroom dresser and nightstands. The dresser and nightstands were my parents’ from the mid70s and the slides are completely worn out. They’re also dark wood and the dresser has a mirrored hutch bolted on top. I’ve also replaced the mailbox and post. It was damaged prior to our moving in. Got a cedar post and a plastic slide on mailbox/post with a home side access door. This allows us to retrieve the mail from the house side instead of standing in the road. Other projects to come include realignment of folding closet doors and creating a gap in the bedroom doors for return air flow.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,656 times
That's exactly what we've done.
We put in new stair railing.
We put down new LVP flooring throughout the house, we now have new concrete counters and new backsplash, and all new kitchen appliances.
We did new marble top vanities in all 3 bathrooms.
We also took the 1970's trim off the kitchen cabinets, and added thicker, more modern trim, and painted.
We have considered a pool, we may pull the trigger on that next spring.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:39 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
That's exactly what we've done.
We put in new stair railing.
We put down new LVP flooring throughout the house, we now have new concrete counters and new backsplash, and all new kitchen appliances.
We did new marble top vanities in all 3 bathrooms.
We also took the 1970's trim off the kitchen cabinets, and added thicker, more modern trim, and painted.
We have considered a pool, we may pull the trigger on that next spring.
Check local zoning and regulations before getting a pool. Some communities have some crazy rules and regulations on new pool construction. Some communities have put restrictions on new polls because of water shortages.

Old 08-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Yesterday we bought a new sofa and 2 recliners, and one new TV. Nice to have spare money at the end of the month and not have to use savings or credit cards.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
I bought my house last year and spent money on some improvements last year as well -- fencing, landscaping, deck, door out to the deck, California Closets, bathroom vanity, shower glass enclosure, replacing ceiling fans and light fixtures, bought a new couch and had a dining room table made. I also painted all of the common rooms and hallways and my office, but I did it myself, so not so much money as effort on that project. Anyway, a lot of money was spent last year.

This year I had a huge tax bill, so I'm not spending anything on the house for now. I am thinking of getting a hot tub though. I have to think about how much it will cost to run and maintain it, so I'm just thinking about it at this stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House