Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The stainless plates will look much better.
Nothing wrong with that and I never claimed there was. You absolutely should get something that matches your wall/tile/paper.

Usually that is your standard white plate (metal or plastic doesn't matter to me just so long as they all match; ditto for size and style), but occasionally other plate colors make sense. I'm sure your stainless steel plates will look just fine on a grey wall.

My issue was with the folly of just rolling paint over the plates and devices. And yeah, I will always stand by that as being tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:35 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
In our last house we had our movie theater room pre-wired for surround sound speakers/projector so we did paint the plates to blend in with the dark gray wall and ceiling paint. We didn't "prep" them though.
IF you are going to paint your plates, remove them first, paint them separately, and then let the paint dry before screwing them onto your device/wall.

Otherwise you will be using a razor blade to remove them in the future and you will damage your wall doing so.

I have during my time removed plates that have had multiple layers of paint on them. Usually little bits of the wet paint seep around the back side, and it's sometimes interesting to see the history of the house: tacky puke green, then blue, the pink, then white, then dark green....always interesting to see what's in vogue over the decades and/or between home owners.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:07 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times
This is a good list! I know everyone has different opinions though. I guess it keeps things interesting.

1. Open shelves in kitchen. It is so cheap. And your stuff will get all dusty. And the lack of storage sucks.
2. Garage additions where they don't level the floors or change driveway layout.
3. Builder grade stuff. A lot of it is just cheap and doesn't last long.
4. Full see-through glass front doors without blinds. Talk about a lack of privacy and safety.
5. Farmhouse sinks. They are too deep and may require lots of bending over.
6. Vessel sinks in bathroom. I have one and can't wait to get rid of it. It is not functional and is hard to clean.
7. Multiple shower heads. Unless you have really good water pressure it doesn't work.
8. Solar tubes on the roof to add more light. I can so see them leaking.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
8. Solar tubes on the roof to add more light. I can so see them leaking.
Agree with everything you've said except this last one. I've added solar tubes to the last three houses I've owned and they have been superb at bringing light to dark rooms and hallways. I've never had one leak or fail; the most I've ever had to do is clean out some bugs.

Now REGULAR skylights: yup, have had several leakers over the years.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Heck the "open concept" used to be the only way to build a house for our ancestors:

We're just returning to the great hall, just with a more efficient layout.
Depends on how far back you go. In the 1700s and early 1800s, the kitchen was not only not open to the rest of the house, it was in a separate building. Kitchens burned down a lot, they were smoky places, they smelled bad. They did not want ant of tat connected to and spreading into the house, so the kitchen was separate like a detached garage.

Our house was "modernized" in 1868 by rolling the small milking barn up against the back of the house and attaching it to make a new fangled attached kitchen (for short people only - milking barns have low ceilings or at least this one did).

Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Agree with everything you've said except this last one. I've added solar tubes to the last three houses I've owned and they have been superb at bringing light to dark rooms and hallways. I've never had one leak or fail; the most I've ever had to do is clean out some bugs.

Now REGULAR skylights: yup, have had several leakers over the years.
We added two solartubes to our house when we re-roofed it. That was in 2006. No leaks, not problems. My only regret is that I did not put in more of them.

My favorite thing about them is nighttime lightening storms. They carry the flashes of lightening into the upstairs hall and we get to have a strobe light dance party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrYxPH1zH18

Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
IF you are going to paint your plates, remove them first, paint them separately, and then let the paint dry before screwing them onto your device/wall.

Otherwise you will be using a razor blade to remove them in the future and you will damage your wall doing so.

I have during my time removed plates that have had multiple layers of paint on them. Usually little bits of the wet paint seep around the back side, and it's sometimes interesting to see the history of the house: tacky puke green, then blue, the pink, then white, then dark green....always interesting to see what's in vogue over the decades and/or between home owners.
And don’t forget to lightly sand or scuff the plate so the paint will hold longer.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:44 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Depends on how far back you go. In the 1700s and early 1800s, the kitchen was not only not open to the rest of the house, it was in a separate building. Kitchens burned down a lot, they were smoky places, they smelled bad. They did not want ant of tat connected to and spreading into the house, so the kitchen was separate like a detached garage.

Our house was "modernized" in 1868 by rolling the small milking barn up against the back of the house and attaching it to make a new fangled attached kitchen (for short people only - milking barns have low ceilings or at least this one did).
I toured a historic house (now basically a museum) and a woman asked, "would the room normally have been this crowded with furniture?" The tour guide's answer was "Yes, if not more so. The style was many rooms, filled with things." The kitchen had similarly had a hallway built at some point in the late 19th century to connect it to the house. Fire and heat (the house was in the South) were the main reasons.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Nothing wrong with that and I never claimed there was. You absolutely should get something that matches your wall/tile/paper.

Usually that is your standard white plate (metal or plastic doesn't matter to me just so long as they all match; ditto for size and style), but occasionally other plate colors make sense. I'm sure your stainless steel plates will look just fine on a grey wall.

My issue was with the folly of just rolling paint over the plates and devices. And yeah, I will always stand by that as being tacky.
I agree. It is lazy and creates more work down the line.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Hate hate hate kitchen vent hoods that don't actually vent. Grease needs to be exhausted out, not recirculated back at your face and grease up everything. Builders are too lazy to put in actual ductwork in the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House