Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:51 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of replacing out aluminum windows with new aluminum windows because some are difficult (impossible) to open. It turns out 2 years ago they changed the building codes here so only vinyl (yuk) windows are allowed plus they need to be tinted for energy efficiency. That was what the window company guy said, I hate, loathe and detest vinyl windows, they look cheap, and you lose a lot of glass space as well. Anyway I asked him if he could fix our old aluminum ones, he replied they don't, but I got the name of a company that will fix them so after COVID, that is the plan.

We tried and ripped out before it was completed, Luxury Vinyl Plank because it looked like they used a grey tiger for a pattern. We settled on 24 inch square Dolomite looking ceramic which has been around for thousand of years (Dolomite not ceramic Dolomite)

We love our ss farmhouse sink, I don't care if they are out of style in 2 years. We have white shaker style cabinets which are a classic style and we have interior shaker doors and shaker molding to complete the look. Shaker has been around for over 100 years and the minimalist look is timeless (I hope).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 11:22 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know, I love my LVP floor. The planks are glued down, they are meant to resemble stone, they look great, are easy on my feet and are a breeze to clean. I do not think they lower the value of my home.

If you don’t like LVP, don’t use it. But it works great for me.
Same here! I put down LifeProof’s Trail Oak LVP through most of my house and it looks great and is easy to maintain. My previous house has hardwood floors and they were such a hassle.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Well, there's a missing porch post that used to hold up the corner of the roof. You can see where it used to be up in the shadows above the front door. There's also the 10" drop from the doorway to the front porch floor. Which was large ceramic tile over a wood floor so all the tiles cracked and they held water and rotted the sub-floor.

There's another interesting 'renovation' in the back carport where they wanted to move a post. It got shifted over about two feet by putting some lumber between the original beam that the post used to be underneath and over to a rafter and then moved the post to the middle of the new bit of lumber. Fortunately it's really light roofing since that's the only post holding up about half the carport roof. One of my next projects will be to fix that. Since this house lacks storage (in the early fifties, I guess folks didn't have as much 'stuff' all over the place) I'll built a pair of structural storage cabinets that will provide storage and hold up the carport roof.

There was also the attempt at an 'open concept' interior design and some yahoo with a sawzall went nuts until the ceiling dropped three inches. Ooops. Several still standing walls have 'remove wall' scrawled across them in crayon. I have no idea what they thought was holding up the ceiling. Those 'renovaters' didn't finish their 'project', which is a good thing or the house would have been flat.

We've been removing bad tile work, putting posts back where they should be, putting back at least a partial wall supporting a beam to get the ceiling back up, etc., etc.

Still have some issues to fix, but now we can least start making lists of things to fix and not use up a whole notebook. I want the next project to be a new build, though.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:16 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Only if no one ever wants to restore it to its original condition.

Same with brick. Yeah, your taste of the moment may think traditional red brick is "yucky" and you want to paint it white with black trim so it'll look like every other flipper-house, but once it's painted it's darn near impossible to get it back.

First rule in renovating should be not to undertake irreversible changes lightly.
Painting brick is always "iffy". There are times when it IS a big improvment if it is done correctly. Usually just painting it is not the way to go.

However, that is totally different than painting old shellac'd dated-looking cabinets. Totally different. Very few people want to restore back to that, unless they are doing some sort of vintage restoration in a historical home. For the great majority of us, that is far from the case.

I can't tell you how many people have asked me about my kitchen update. Everyone thinks it looks wonderful - much improved. It has made all the difference in the world in my enjoyment of my home. I used to hate my kitchen - it was just dreary and old-looking. Now it's my favorite place.
It may not be your cup of tea, as you seem to prefer to not update anything, but you are in the minority.
Attached Thumbnails
Home "Renovations" that causes major problems years later-img_6504-2-.jpg   Home "Renovations" that causes major problems years later-img_8423-2-.jpg  

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-26-2020 at 07:24 AM..

Old 08-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
What about tray ceilings? I know they are very popular right now, but are they going to be dated later on? I have drop ceilings in the kitchen that I am going to remove. I can't believe this was a thing.
My tray ceiling in my living room is 26 years old. Loved it when I bought the house, and still do.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know, I love my LVP floor. The planks are glued down, they are meant to resemble stone, they look great, are easy on my feet and are a breeze to clean. I do not think they lower the value of my home.

If you don’t like LVP, don’t use it. But it works great for me.
I have glue-down LVP in my kitchen, and I love it too. It's a damn-near waterproof floor and it looks great. DEFINITELY an improvement over the old sheet vinyl that I replaced and much easier to keep clean.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:12 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
However, that is totally different than painting old shellac'd dated-looking cabinets. Totally different. Very few people want to restore back to that, unless they are doing some sort of vintage restoration in a historical home. For the great majority of us, that is far from the case.

I can't tell you how many people have asked me about my kitchen update. Everyone thinks it looks wonderful - much improved. It has made all the difference in the world in my enjoyment of my home. I used to hate my kitchen - it was just dreary and old-looking. Now it's my favorite place.
It may not be your cup of tea, as you seem to prefer to not update anything, but you are in the minority.

That kitchen looks great!

Old 08-26-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
That kitchen looks great!
Thanks!!

Old 08-26-2020, 09:03 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Painting brick is always "iffy". There are times when it IS a big improvment if it is done correctly. Usually just painting it is not the way to go.

The problem is that people don't agree on what's "vintage" "historic" "old" and "dated". My house was built in 1902. In 118 years, the only woodwork that was painted was in the kitchen and bathroom. (the kitchen was remodeled in the early 1940s, and they used painted cabinets to start with) But, I'm a member of a few old house enthusiast groups on Facebook, and I know there are people out there who wouldn't give a second thought to painting the woodwork in my house, because they thought it looked dreary and dark. And, while painted woodwork can be stripped, and will look great again, it's almost impossible to recreate the original appearance. It will be great, but different from the original.

Edited to add my opinion that unpainted wood from before WWII, probably shouldn't be painted at this point. Anything after WWII, is "new" and I don't really care about what happens to it.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The problem is that people don't agree on what's "vintage" "historic" "old" and "dated". My house was built in 1902. In 118 years, the only woodwork that was painted was in the kitchen and bathroom. (the kitchen was remodeled in the early 1940s, and they used painted cabinets to start with) But, I'm a member of a few old house enthusiast groups on Facebook, and I know there are people out there who wouldn't give a second thought to painting the woodwork in my house, because they thought it looked dreary and dark. And, while painted woodwork can be stripped, and will look great again, it's almost impossible to recreate the original appearance. It will be great, but different from the original.

Edited to add my opinion that unpainted wood from before WWII, probably shouldn't be painted at this point. Anything after WWII, is "new" and I don't really care about what happens to it.
I think a 1902 home is quite a different animal than one built in the last several decades. I already stated that historic homes are obviously a different situation.

"Dated" is certainly subjective. But I believe there are cases (my kitchen is an example) where it is pretty clearly an "old" look.

This kitchen looks dated to me, but heck it is a newer one than my old kitchen. I'm sure plenty of people would be fine with it, but someone that has lived here for 20 years might hate it. It is YOU that needs to be happy in your home. Updating is always a good idea, but if you are thinking about selling years down the road, it's better to stick with classic, rather than trendy.

https://laurelberninteriors.com/2019...n-it-be-saved/

Tons of articles on this subject of course.

https://www.thekitchn.com/ways-to-up...kitchen-266094

https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/12...t-regret-48954
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House