Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Siding style (not color)
Lap siding (blue house) 9 81.82%
Board and Batten (yellow house) 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:35 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Which style siding looks best on this style home?

http://californiadreamhouse.org/the-maywood/

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...2Un-uKFqxp1BBM

Last edited by beckycat; 08-11-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Either one but for corn's sake don't use vinyl.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:03 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

On the ADU there's probably no option for hardee plank or real wood. At the price point she's looking at, those two are probably the only choices.

I like the vinyl on my house. Holds up good and looks pretty good (colonial beaded).

Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM

262 posts, read 164,236 times
Super cute houses to choose from.

Rough sawn board and batten siding is what we have for our house. Horizonal lines would make the small house look wider, and bigger. Think I like horizontal lap style better than vertical for your size home. Our home is a rancher, with vertical siding, so makes look taller. If were run horizonally, would look silly on our house.

Stucco is popular in CA since not much rain and keeps home cooler, but cannot use where we now live in Michigan. Vinyl is most commonly used for 90% of all home construction here since cheap, doesn't need to be painted, ever, and cannot be attacked by carpenter bees. There is always a trade off, though. High end vinyl or Hardie plank board is the most maintenance free.

Last edited by PacificaViews; 08-11-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's the option and in budget.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
Super cute houses to choose from.

Rough sawn board and batten siding is what we have for our house. Horizonal lines would make the small house look wider, and bigger. Think I like horizontal lap style better than vertical for your size home. Our home is a rancher, with vertical siding, so makes look taller. If were run horizonally, would look silly on our house.

Stucco is popular in CA since not much rain and keeps home cooler, but cannot use where we now live in Michigan. Vinyl is most commonly used for 90% of all home construction here since cheap, doesn't need to be painted, ever, and cannot be attacked by carpenter bees. There is always a trade off, though. High end vinyl or Hardie plank board is the most maintenance free.
Thanks. Actually the house will be a tad bigger...1300 sq ft. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 PM

262 posts, read 164,236 times
Ah, 1300sf ... that is a nicely sized house, not too big or too small.

So at that size, I would say it's a coin toss, but would lean slightly more toward the lap or clap-board look instead, mainly because it sheds water from rain a bit better, is easier to replace base if damage occurs without visible seams, and it also is a bit more traditional. Our vertical board and batten got dryrot at the bottom (but we have solid wood house, with a wood cedar shake roof too), and we had to cut a foot of it off the bottom last summer, and run some replacement boards along the base (sitting piles of snow caused damage). But this is Michigan where we are living now. We moved out here from California a few years ago.

I also have always loved the look of traditional clapboard (lap) style homes.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:21 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
IMO, I see the horizontal of blending much better since it visually lengthens the house, whereas the vertical makes it appear short and squatty. It would be a no-brainer architecturally in my mind.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:43 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
If all you can afford is vinyl siding you'd be better off just replacing the rotted parts of your wood siding.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:51 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
If all you can afford is vinyl siding you'd be better off just replacing the rotted parts of your wood siding.

Sounds like she's doing a new, small build, not replacing old rotted siding. And in my case, I was replacing old vinyl and older asbestos shingles. And tying it in with the new addition, so it was all seamless.

Vinyl's not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House