Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

For the past few years, every spring and summer we have ants come into every room of the house. They arent going any where in particular, just always looking around.

Its a two-story home and we only eat or have food downstairs in the kitchen. We've tried everything from the liquid Terro bait, Ortho Home Defense, Cinnamon oil, and even diatomaceous earth (outside around our foundation). All the products work for a week or two but then the ants find another area to come in from (ie., electric outlets, behind cabinets, etc.).

Any advise on how to get rid of these annoying insects???

Thank you for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714bmiller View Post
For the past few years, every spring and summer we have ants come into every room of the house. They arent going any where in particular, just always looking around.

Its a two-story home and we only eat or have food downstairs in the kitchen. We've tried everything from the liquid Terro bait, Ortho Home Defense, Cinnamon oil, and even diatomaceous earth (outside around our foundation). All the products work for a week or two but then the ants find another area to come in from (ie., electric outlets, behind cabinets, etc.).

Any advise on how to get rid of these annoying insects???

Thank you for your help in advance!
Have you called a professional pest control company? I have the exterior perimeter of my home treated every other month and I never have any insect problems in my home. There were cave crickets in the basement when I bought the place 2 years ago, but none now.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM

262 posts, read 164,561 times
How diligent have you been with the Terro liquid baits? Change out the Terro liquid baits every 2 weeks until under control. Walk around and find their outside mounds, place the baits directly next to their primary mounds. Buy them in multi-packs. After major rainstorm, replace again. We always have about dozen in operation. They tend to march in after heavy rain events, and cooling weather.

Keep your kitchen spotless, mop floors, and place any sugary type foods in tightly sealed containers. For such little pests they seem to have giant noses, but really the scouts are good at reporting back that there is a sweet treat that is not fully sealed in the pantry.

We battle two types of ants where we live - carpenter ants (over half inch - black, often found as single scout) and argentine ants (much smaller, and more light brown, sometimes found in armies). The carpenter ants have a stinging bite.

So I suggest trying the Terro baits again, only in higher quantity, more frequent changes, and more strategic locations. Then fully clean out your kitchen - take everything out of pantry, discard old expired items, reseal, jar, or double bag things, pull fridge out and mop underneath. Use dilute bleach to mop floors in kitchen and dining areas. Also make sure yard is tidy, and no piles of decaying wood etc.

We no longer have ants marching in, but I still keep the Terro bait trays in their assigned spots just in case during the summer and falls months (mainly the back and front porches, and garage where they most likely initially enter the house).

Last edited by PacificaViews; 08-11-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 04:51 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Are they the big black ants? We called the guy.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:51 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
What, no uncles?

Old 08-11-2020, 04:56 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Have you identified what kind of ants they are? If they're carpenter ants you've got problems.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I've never found a way to get rid of them forever. They come back every spring.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:23 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Have you called a professional pest control company? I have the exterior perimeter of my home treated every other month and I never have any insect problems in my home. There were cave crickets in the basement when I bought the place 2 years ago, but none now.
They don't do any good. I had crazy ants in the pants and they did nothing. I just bought some Termador or however it is spelled and it did the trick nick.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:11 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
I've had success with Max Force granules.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Part of the problem might be the type of ant. Pharaoh ants are especially hard to get rid of. Might try Harris Roach tablets which are a borax tablet with a bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House