Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times

Advertisements

You need to ask yourself, why are the hinge screws of this door loosening? My house was built in 1939, we've owned it since 1973, and if anyone's ever needed to tighten the hinge screws of the doors, I think I'd remember it.

My guess would be screws too small and too short in a pilot hole that's too large. I'd at least consider smallifying the pilot holes with toothpicks, or golf tees, or 1/4" dowel, and glue, redrill if needed using the correct pilot hole size, and put in longer screws (if the next size up will fit, try that, but it probably won't).

If you treat one screw hole at a time, it'll take you at least 6 days but you won't lose alignment in the process. (Assuming 3 screws per side per hinge per door - so you do one of 6 screws on the jamb side and one of six on the door side each day, allowing glue to cure in between.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 01:01 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You need to ask yourself, why are the hinge screws of this door loosening? My house was built in 1939, we've owned it since 1973, and if anyone's ever needed to tighten the hinge screws of the doors, I think I'd remember it.
Because this house was newly built and undoubtedly uses 7/8" screws into cheesewood, not 2" screws into oak or hard pine.

Buy a pack of matching screws in 2-3" length (even HD/Lowe's sells them). Replace one screw in each hinge with such, maybe two or all three in the top one. Usually the door holds screws well enough; it's the crapwood jamb that doesn't.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Steel door in a steel frame. Problem solved.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:41 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
With exterior door, the manufacturers now leave two screws out of the top hinge and installation sheet that two long screws be installed through the hinge into the wood framing beyond the door jamb, it just so happens I hung one today.

The door jambs are 3/4 material so the screws have little bite especially if the door is solid or a fiberglass or steel door with glass. A decent builder should always use longer screws to properly secure the jamb and hinges and certainly the top hinge at a minimum!

Old 08-12-2020, 01:42 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I'm embarrassed to say it was simply a matter of tightening the hinge screws. One of those "what the heck was I thinking" types of questions!

Thank you all.
Chances are, if it happened once, it will continue to do so!

Old 08-12-2020, 02:22 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Steel door in a steel frame. Problem solved.

Ha! You clearly haven’t seen the steel doors I’ve seen! They’re no different from the OP problem- except it’s a poorly installed frame, versus a loose screw(s).

Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Because this house was newly built and undoubtedly uses 7/8" screws into cheesewood, not 2" screws into oak or hard pine.

Buy a pack of matching screws in 2-3" length (even HD/Lowe's sells them). Replace one screw in each hinge with such, maybe two or all three in the top one. Usually the door holds screws well enough; it's the crapwood jamb that doesn't.

This exactly. You only need to remove the middle screw in the top hinge on the jamb not the door. The middle screw is offset farther in toward the middle of the frame. Replace it with a 3 inch screw of the same size. Three inch drywall screws work great for this or you can buy 3 inch steel screws that match your original screws. Run it in and it will screw into the stud behind the jamb and just tighten it a little. See if the rubbing has stopped and if not tighten it just a little more. This is a common practice for settling doors.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:25 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You only need to remove the middle screw in the top hinge on the jamb not the door.
Which screw to replace is totally dependent on where the door is rubbing the frame.

The middle screw is offset farther in toward the middle of the frame. Replace it with a 3 inch screw of the same size. Three inch drywall screws work great for this...
Drywall screws SHOULD NOT be used for hinges. Drywall screws are bulge or bell shaped at the head- they can pull through the hinge very easily. Or if too big, will not seat flush with the hinge face.

This is a common practice for settling doors.
Doors don't settle. Doors expand and contract, like their frames, but at different rates due to different materials. Frames can move, because framing "shrinks" in new builds.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:05 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I have doors that stick in summer and are fine in winter when the humidity goes down.

OMG yes, I am having this problem with my bathroom door. When i had all my doors replaced I especially wanted the bathroom door fram itself replaced, but when i came home all of them were replaced except the bathroom and the man used the frame that was exisitng, because of the tiles, etc, whatever.
lesson learned, ALWAYS be home and dont let someone else be there when you want something done.

So, i had used my electric hand sander to sand the top portion of the door, hence removing all the stain, but at this point i dont even care until winter, but it seemed exceptionally worse this summer. My apartment is all A/C except the bathroom as i dont like an A/C bathroom, ( I have a regular sie window) but the sticking is really terrible this summer as it the humidity, all my other doors are fine.

So, this winter I will really have to electric sand it, then re stain and varnish to make it look better.

OMG how i wanted the new door fram so this problem would not have of happened (the old door sucked as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House