Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:04 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Bose doesn't scientifically have the purest sound, THX would laugh in their face if they sought certification.
But their reputation stems almost entirely from relentless, ubiquitous self-promotion.

There are few genuinely quality products that promote so heavily, and again, any company whose marketing department dwarfs the TO is almost certain to have indifferent products.

Quote:
Dyson is another, I'd put it like this: when buying a Dyson or any brand appliance, the "best" is quite subjective, but I would struggle to find someone who could convince me I bought a BAD or unreliable vacuum.
Dyson is simply grossly overpriced, a price point they support only through... relentless, ubiquitous self-promotion.

I have a Shark vacuum for which I paid about $120, or one-fourth of a Dyson. I have owned Miele, Sebo and Kirbys in the past. I am delighted with the performance and design of this "cheap" vac, and I live in a dusty climate with dogs.

No $500 Dyson I've ever seen is worth that 4X price. They are, like my Shark, merely better than most of the cheap crap passed off under mundane brand names.

We live in a matrix filled with products sold at their high price points more because of brand establishment than actual quality or worth. Bose, Dyson, Yeti etc. are just the Donald Trumps of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 02:09 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've tried a few of the whiz bang variety...
I'm back to what Grand Dad used: the very basic all brass that lasts DECADES.
No complaints

Yep. Best ever. Also, gives best long range narrow stream, closing on pressure washer effects.
Anything that is rotatable head and pistol grip breaks down very shortly.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:44 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I have one of those selectable head ones with a trigger. Looks like it's all plastic and it's already deteriorating from being out in the sun (what, two years?) I do like its functions and I wish something of better quality were available - but it appears that is not the case - there are more expensive ones but under the hood they're all the same.

Very typical these days.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
either go all metal, use your thumb on the bare hose, or just accept the fact you have to buy a plastic one every 24 months.

you can extend the useful life of your plastic by:
1. stop dropping/throwing it
2. keep your sprayer INSIDE an up-ended terra cotta pot when not in use. The Sun hates plastic, and destroys it at rate of 1% per week, doublespeed in summer.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
you can extend the useful life of your plastic by:
1. stop dropping/throwing it
You're absolutely right. I should very carefully lay the nozzle/hose end down every time, just like everyone else who uses them.

(I'm not talking about throwing it ten feet on concrete... these broke with a two-foot drop to the ground. If the nozzle hits at the right point on the front rotator, it snaps that tiny post inside.)

These tools should tolerate normal use like being dropped to the ground from hand height.

The Gilmour one comes today. Reports as there is more exciting news.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Mine, well all four, are from Home Depot, standard type with a dozen adjustments or something, they are several years old, still work fine, made from plastic.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Mine, well all four, are from Home Depot, standard type with a dozen adjustments or something, they are several years old, still work fine, made from plastic.
Honest, I don't think I've ever had trouble with them over many years except from getting old and clogged with wasp nests. But in about three years, I've had four break in exactly this way, across the spectrum of apparent quality. And no, I don't have green skin.

The engineer/designer/perfectionist in me is just boggled that so many different makers, whether they are trying to save 0.25 cents per unit or manly-man overdesigning everything else, don't simply beef up that critical, high-stress point. There's room. There's reason. There's undoubtedly testing history and consumer reports. But no, bygod, let's save weight and space there.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:26 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
These guys seem to have a nice selection of sturdy nozzles.
https://www.akronbrass.com/nozzles

Old 08-19-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
These guys seem to have a nice selection of sturdy nozzles.
https://www.akronbrass.com/nozzles
Gee, t'anks. I'll keep them in mind next time I get a city grant to upgrade my home firefighting needs.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:41 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Take a look at Griot's Garage, they tend to have reasonably decent stuff.

Edited to add, their "best" hose nozzle looks good and rugged, but, good grief, it's $120. In the past they had some good brass and rubber coated nozzles, thumb controlled, for like $30.

Possibly the most cost-effective way would be to put a ball valve on the end of the hose, then put an all brass "fireman" type nozzle on that, adjust the spray pattern on the nozzle and then use the ball valve to turn water on and off.

Garrett Wade is another vendor worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House