Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 09:19 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times

Advertisements

I will admit that if it wasn't for Covid-19 I might not have done the improvements that I did. Time allowed it.

Here's my list thus far:
  • Fenced in my back yard. 6' wood down one side to block the neighbor view and 6' deer fence for the rest so I'm not in a box. Around 200' total.
  • Ripped out the aging deck in the front and put in a brand new one along with new deck furniture. I had not used the deck in decades, now out there a lot.
  • Replaced the smaller sump pump in the basement that drained out through the basement window into the yard with a larger one in a bigger pit, and ran PVC underground through the backyard to a pit at the edge of the woods. High water table with basement issues. Hope this helps.
  • Had a 30-amp service installed for my trailer.

Probably will do a few more things before 2020 is thankfully over.

What improvements have you done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 06:51 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I replaced my kitchen countertops (Corian, I think) with quartz. Love them.

Next year I'm hoping to have the exterior painted (house is 25 years old- it's time) and have the back deck replaced with a plastic version. Everything pretty much funded by my reduced travel budget. I've got some pretty substantial IOUs from a tour company and 2 airlines to fund future travel.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:21 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Hehehe excellent starter.

I installed my 6' fence last summer - so my COVID project was to stain it (400') - Done! (includes washing...)
New Sump Pump also.
New Hot Water Tank.
CLEANED OUT AND SOLD my Trailer.
AND
Totally emptied, cleaned - and made useful - my garage, including new workbench.
Also rented a storage unit (stupid, I know) and emptied most of my basement into it.

So pretty good COVID so far!

Old 08-19-2020, 10:41 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I'm so happy that I just got a new sump pump system yesterday. i was going to just get a larger, deeper crock and reuse the existing pump, but I opted for an entirely new system with a new battery backup pump as well. I've gotta say. as sump pumps go, it's the prettiest setup I've ever seen, and the quietest as well. it was NOT cheap, but well worth it to me. I'm no longer kept awake by listening to the check valve as the pump short cycles during torrential downpours. I can still hear the other sump pump, but it doesn't run as much, since the new one gets water from the drain outside the basement door (which was a surprise.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House