Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 882 times

Advertisements

Saw another post in here about terrible smells when running dishwasher. I’ve cleaned my washer out and have had a plumber and an appliance repair person out who can’t find the issue. I think it’s the wastewater drain tube. Any advice on how to fix it?

https://i.imgur.com/QIQ0ggl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7AD0pqD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RoOnwPD.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 11:05 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
“...when running dishwasher”.

My question- Where is the smell emitting from?

The drain line is basically installed correctly- however, the airlock/loop should be mounted all the way to the bottom of the countertop.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 882 times
It seems to be coming from the disposal, which I’ve also had looked at and have cleaned with multiple solutions

Old 08-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBatman007 View Post
It seems to be coming from the disposal, which I’ve also had looked at and have cleaned with multiple solutions

Well, considering that the discharge line from the d/w is connected directly to the disposal- it doesn’t surprise me that there is an odor. The d/w is removing food particles from the dishes, then discharges those particles into the disposal, those food particles don’t always wash through the disposal- they sit inside the grinding chamber and decompose. There is your odor.

I hate this particular plumbing setup! I much prefer that d/w discharge lines have their own trap to drain to...

Old 08-23-2020, 02:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Quote:
The way my dishwasher is hooked up is a hose runs up from it to a "Y" fitting to the vent outlet that is in the sink, then the other side runs down via a flex hose to my disposal.

Check to see if when you run the dishwasher whether water starts to come out of the vent top at the sink.

Mine started to have water come out of the vent, and my sink stank (from the drain/disposal). I pulled off the flex tube from the vent to the disposal and it was blocked at the disposal end with nasty dark disgusting smelling goo.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Check to see if when you run the dishwasher whether water starts to come out of the vent top at the sink.

The OP doesn’t have an air gap vent- just the loop (air gap) in the discharge line.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
One way to investigate the smell's source takes two people. Take the dishwasher drain hose off the garbage disposal and set the end into the largest bucket you can. The second person runs the dishwasher on a rinse or prerinse cycle. Once the bucket has a decent amount of water in it, have the other person stop the dishwasher. Look at and smell the water in the bucket. Look at and smell the end of the hose. If the odor is strong the dishwasher drain hose is probably the problem.

Why they often make hoses ribbed makes no sense, but soap scum and food bits get stuck in even the non-ribbed hoses. It is easier to replace the hose than to try to clean it ... which does mean pulling the dishwasher out. While it is out also check the area of the connection of the hose to the dishwasher. A Kenmore model we had a few years ago had a filter there which was so gunked up it was disgusting. No way to access it without pulling out the dishwasher - dumb design!

To clean both my dishwasher and garbage disposal (which does not dispose all as other have said) is to put some baking soda then vinegar then water and run the dishwasher and disposal. I don't do it often because I am sure the components don't like the "volcanic eruption", but goo and scum and food bits get cleaned out.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:54 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Usually it's the rubber gasket/flappy thing on the top of the disposal. It needs to be pulled out and thoroughly cleaned every couple weeks. Also build up of grease and other gunk from the food that goes down it builds up on the inner surfaces of the disposal and bacterial growth makes it super stinky. Wash that gasket, and even run it through the dishwasher. Then get some paper towels and clean the sides of the inside upper part of the disposal where the water splashes, but doesn't really clean the sides. You will be SHOCKED by the black gunk! I also clean my disposal by shoving a couple used wedges of lemon or lime and packing the disposal full of ice cubes, then trickle the water while you run the disposal. You don't have to grind the wedges all the way, just enough to help scrub and deodorize the inside of the disposal.

They make disposal deodorizer/cleaners, but I find the lemon rinds and ice cubes work better, but you usually still need to clean that gasket and the upper portions of the disposal manually.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 882 times
Thanks! I moved the loop higher, which seemed to help a little, but I haven’t cleaned the hose out or tried to replace it yet since moving the loop up

I do clean the disposal often, every week or so, with either a soap solution for that purpose or with vinegar and baking soda. Plus, it’s been doing the smell since I moved in one year ago, and even having the disposal replaced (it was leaking) didn’t help!

One guy who came out told us to just run hot water every time before we want to do the dishes, which seemed like a silly “fix.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House