Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 01:18 PM

137 posts, read 102,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
For a flat roof, yes and you should find and use a certified installer.
How do we know if an installer is CERTIFIED?
Is there a document that should be shown to us that specifies contractor/company is certified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 01:28 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringOne View Post
How do we know if an installer is CERTIFIED?
Is there a document that should be shown to us that specifies contractor/company is certified?
The manufacturers have a list of installers that are and have been participants in their training sessions and are given updates as to product changes when they do occur. The two main manufacturers that I’ve had specter on the majority of my projects were Carlisle and Firestone. There are others, however both of these manufacturers seem to get the majority of the work in the US.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:31 PM

So the contract proposal should specify what company manufactures the membrane product.
Then one can go to the manufacturer's site to see if the installer/company is listed?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:12 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
So the contract proposal should specify what company manufactures the membrane product.
Then one can go to the manufacturer's site to see if the installer/company is listed?
Yes, decide on which system/manufacturer you would be willing to accept and then ensure that your contractor is an approved installer. Or if a local contractor recommends a different manufacturer, then do some research on that company and confirm that the contractor is approved.

It’s always best to have the specific materials listed in the proposal to circumvent any possible issues or misunderstandings between you and the contractor.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Does this application look correct to you?
Not in my neighborhood.
Our 2011 roof had a solid wood "subfloor" that was similar to the video.
Our 2017 replacement had a wood suspension system underneath the membrane.
The new installation is more hail resistant.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:41 AM

Anyone:

Any thoughts/comments on the
APP Modified Roof Membrane made of bitumen and polymer?

Old 08-29-2020, 08:52 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Anyone:

Any thoughts/comments on the
APP Modified Roof Membrane made of bitumen and polymer?

One. And it’s the most compelling statement of choosing one over the other.

The lifespan of EPDM is about 50yrs; bitumen roof systems are 20yrs MAX (usually more like 10-15yrs).

Old 08-29-2020, 02:24 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
As in the video, you have to have a single roll or sheet that covers the entire surface so you don't have the potential for more leaks. The old non-EPDM roof leaked after initial installation where the pitched roof met the flat roof. It's best to get both replaced at the same time.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:45 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
One. And it’s the most compelling statement of choosing one over the other.

The lifespan of EPDM is about 50yrs; bitumen roof systems are 20yrs MAX (usually more like 10-15yrs).
I was part of the Maintenance Dept. for a large facility in my working years (about 9-10 acres of roof). Most of the building was done in built-up, installed in the 1990's, and most of it was over twenty years old when I retired (GAF with a 20 year warranty), but it needed frequent maintenance and experienced leaks around penetrations (mostly roof drains) by that time. It's almost always the penetrations that give you the most trouble, but anywhere the roof pitch is not adequate and gets standing water will haunt you as well. We had one section that was done in Firestone black EPDM and ballasted with river rock, that area gave me the most trouble over the years, I had it replaced with GAF built-up when it was maybe fifteen-twenty years old.

I did have one outbuilding done with white poly a couple of years before I retired, but it developed more leaks than I anticipated when fairly new - it was installed by a certified vendor. I liked the idea of it being more energy efficient (and much cheaper) than the built-up option, but after the trouble we had, am not sure if I could recommend it, since my experience is limited. The built-up provided the most reliable roof, in my experience, the problem is that the tar used for sealing loses its vehicle over time (it simply "dries out") and needs to be inspected and maintained over time. Not walking on it when it's cold, I believe, is one secret to keeping it leak-free, but that's not always possible. Depending on location (ours was Northern Illinois), useful life is as K'ledgeBldr stated, 15-20 years - it can last longer, but will start leaking more with time, requiring more repairs (and damage to whatever's below it).

Bottom line, flat roofs are a maintenance headache, but are a necessary evil for industrial buildings. If I had a residential building with a flat roof, and it needed a re-roof, I'd look hard at swinging trusses onto it and installing regular shingles or a metal roof, which will provide much less grief over its lifetime - a friend who owned a large motel did this very thing back in the 1980's, he was simply done with the headaches of a flat roof. Again, geographic location has a lot to do with this, places that don't get much rain or snow typically use flat roofs because of the initial cost, (and the ability to install mechanicals on them). I just know I wouldn't put a flat roof on a house in Illinois if I didn't have to.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 08-29-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 06:48 PM

163 posts, read 86,803 times
Unfortunately, we have two sections of flat roof on different parts of our house. We had EPDM roofing installed on one of the sections about 10 years ago, and so far so good. That section even has a skylight.

Just about a month ago, we had the other section of our roof redone with EPDM. The manufacturer was Firestone. We got it done for a decent price and we are very happy with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House