Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

Flat roofs cost a arm and a leg. House next door was 15k to redo last summer. Normal roof would have been 6k. My roof has about 4 years left before a replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 01:30 PM

137 posts, read 102,572 times
LKJ1988:

Do you have a FLAT roof too?
If so, how many years ago was it installed?
What kind of membrane: modified bitumen or EPDM?

Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringOne View Post
LKJ1988:

Do you have a FLAT roof too?
If so, how many years ago was it installed?
What kind of membrane: modified bitumen or EPDM?
Not on the house i have now. Back in the other house built in the 1950's had a part flat roof and every 10 years it would leak like a creek where it met the normal roof. Last time it was redone was 2001 so not sure what membrane it had jane. It was rolls of thick felt and tared and torched. Then rocks added.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:08 PM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not on the house i have now. Back in the other house built in the 1950's had a part flat roof and every 10 years it would leak like a creek where it met the normal roof. Last time it was redone was 2001 so not sure what membrane it had jane. It was rolls of thick felt and tared and torched. Then rocks added.
There are many different types of asphalt roofing and a torch on is vastly different than a four ply mop on asphalt roof so even with in rolled asphalt roofing there are many variables and types, different top layer finishes, ballasted, non ballasted, smooth and or mineral finishes.

So when talking about it’s longevity, the specific design needs to know.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:45 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
I've read the average estimate for an EPDM roof is about $1100 for a square (100sf) rounded up. For shingled roofing, about $450-550 per square. We are having both done and fell within those parameters.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I've read the average estimate for an EPDM roof is about $1100 for a square (100sf) rounded up. For shingled roofing, about $450-550 per square. We are having both done and fell within those parameters.
I remember when my friends and I would tear off and install new asphalt shingles for a hundred bucks a square. Admittedly, that was a LONG time ago. I remember good-quality three-tab asphalt shingles being maybe thirty bucks a square back then (three, 80# bundles to a square). What are they today?

Also, I have to caveat that my own experience is from memories that are at least a decade old. While I am sure the section that gave me the most trouble was Firestone brand, I "think" it was "EPDM", it may have been a different type of rubber. It was ballasted with large river rock. The questionable part was "who installed it, and how good a job did they do?", which I don't know since it was before my time in the department. I do know it wasn't done by the same GAF-certified installer I used on many subsequent projects. And, it was the same section that contained the stairwell to the roof, so by default it got more foot traffic than other sections. But I'm still a fan of the built up (layered paper and tarred, topped with small gravel) roof that we had in most sections. If I were still in the business, I'd always be looking at new materials and techniques.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:40 AM

Do BOTH the EPDM and modified bitumen flat roofs NEED to be coated?

There's silver aluminum coating on roof now.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:25 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringOne View Post
Do BOTH the EPDM and modified bitumen flat roofs NEED to be coated?

There's silver aluminum coating on roof now.
AFAIK, EPDM does not need to be coated. My house had a new roof (supposedly) installed in 2018, most of which was shingle and the remainder EPDM on the flat-roofed bump-out for the second floor MBR. I never liked the quality of the shingled roof and had it replaced early this year by a quality roofer, who confirmed my suspicions that the previous roof was poorly installed without ice and water shield and other proper installation techniques. I asked them if they would closely inspect the EPDM portion and replace that if needed as well. However, it must have been done by a different roofing company (thankfully!), as they said it was fine and just needed sealing at the perimeter edges. I've had no problems with the EPDM roof, and there have been many intense downpours and really hot weather since I bought the house.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:16 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiringone View Post
do both the epdm and modified bitumen flat roofs need to be coated?

there's silver aluminum coating on roof now.

no.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:08 PM

K'ledgeBldr:

Thank you for your response.

So coating is NOT necessary for either type of membrane?

Now I wonder why the roof was coated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House