Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 07:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 4,634,723 times

Advertisements

Dealing with some old hardwood floors from the 40s/50s. Haven't been waxed in decades. They really need sanding, conditioners, stain etc along with a poliish. Any off the shelf polish that actually polishes and conditions the wood. They'll wind up absorbing a lot at this point. Also afraid an cheap polish might actually make they harder to properly redo in the future.

Probably not a great idea to mix current polishes with older ones with different chemical content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 07:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Trewax and Minwax make good waxes for hardwood floors. If the color is faded you can use a reddish-tinted or brown-tinted wax.

Make sure to use their "wood floor cleaner" to strip off old wax and dirt, first.

Apply with the "scotchbrite looking" pads of your floor polisher, allow to dry a bit as described on the side of the can, then buff with soft brushes, then polish with lambswool pad.

This gives a far better appearance than sanding and complete refinishing, unless the floors are truly too badly gouged and/or water damaged. You're looking at 70-80 years of patina made up by tiny scratches and scuffs and oxidation. That's what gives old floors their classy look. All of that is instantly lost, forever, as soon as the power sander touches it. Now you've just got the same floor as the two year old McMansion down the street, or the basketball court at the local high school.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Trewax and Minwax make good waxes for hardwood floors. If the color is faded you can use a reddish-tinted or brown-tinted wax.

Make sure to use their "wood floor cleaner" to strip off old wax and dirt, first.

Apply with the "scotchbrite looking" pads of your floor polisher, allow to dry a bit as described on the side of the can, then buff with soft brushes, then polish with lambswool pad.

This gives a far better appearance than sanding and complete refinishing, unless the floors are truly too badly gouged and/or water damaged. You're looking at 70-80 years of patina made up by tiny scratches and scuffs and oxidation. That's what gives old floors their classy look. All of that is instantly lost, forever, as soon as the power sander touches it. Now you've just got the same floor as the two year old McMansion down the street, or the basketball court at the local high school.
I agree with everything you stated. The difficult part will be finding a smaller floor polisher that a regular person can handle. I rented one once for a house I had just bought (back in 1989) but it literally dragged me around the floor. I now have an older model Hoover floor waxer and polisher, but they're almost impossible to find anymore. It does a super job and I can handle it even at my advanced age.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:25 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Most likely-

Vintage can from the 30's

Old 08-31-2020, 02:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 4,634,723 times
Aren't there certain polishes/chemicals you can't polish over and must strip or use one ok for floor and existing polish?

Old 08-31-2020, 02:18 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Aren't there certain polishes/chemicals you can't polish over and must strip or use one ok for floor and existing polish?
Yeah, but if you're talking about 1940s-50s construction and they "haven't been waxed in decades" you've probably got ordinary floor varnish with wax, not modern polyurethanes or epoxies.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,071,499 times
In our old ct colonial my father used bowling alley wax called Butcher's wax, as I recall. The floors were beautiful.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:02 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Trewax Indian Sand, if they still make it.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Floor polishers/buffers are counter-intuitive. The larger they are, the easier they are to handle. Movement is accomplished with slight lifting or depressing of the handle to make it just a tiny bit off-balance. If you see someone using a death grip, they haven't mastered the technique.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:42 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
In our old ct colonial my father used bowling alley wax called Butcher's wax, as I recall. The floors were beautiful.
Just don't walk on them afterwards with only socks on your feet - you're liable to go scooting across the floor or end up on your butt. I used to get a running start on my old heart pine floors to se how far I could go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House