U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,022,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh, nonsense. I cook on my induction every day. And, what limitations?
Cookware, mostly. I guess if you start out adult life with nothing but the cheap pot your mom gave you and buy induction-ready stuff from the start, it's as good a choice as any. But shoving it off on existing households is a "Barbie's playhouse" move meaning an expensive upgrade to cooktop ware along with the expensive cooktop. Funny how that works.

I am not knocking induction per se. Every tool has its place. But the recent marketing/sales/profit-driven fad of shoving it along as the next absolutely-must-have next thing is just example #1000 of why I do what I do. There is a vast difference between actual need or even actual want, and what's thrown at consumers for reasons that are 90% benefit to the sellers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 01:58 PM

6,152 posts, read 2,742,897 times
Rent a place with one, then get back to us. We had one in our vacation rental and I hated it.

Can't see anything? Burner hot for long after? No close control? No thanks...

Old 09-02-2020, 02:07 PM

9,896 posts, read 4,821,546 times
Don't forget that the upper surface will get very hot due to heat transfer from the hot pan, and when you move that hot pan off it'll still be almost the same temp. as the pan. Invisibly.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:21 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,077,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have a Bosch induction cooktop installed in an open peninsula. Luckily for me, there is a Dacor exhaust fan that raises and lowers, installed behind the cooktop. That is all the exhaust I need.

The OP might double check to make sure there is /is not a similar fan installed in the kitchen in question. A fan might go unnoticed if it is not raised.

I would want an exhaust fan in my kitchen. If you do any high heat cooking, which induction supports quite well, such as wok stir frying, you are going to want an exhaust fan. I would factor in the cost and practicality of having one installed, if needed, before choosing that house.
Sorry to hijack- is this the downdraft type? I ask because I’m thinking of having one put in since my venting is currently downdraft and I’m not sure I want to go through the hassle of installing a vent hood and putting it through my roof (which has a very steep pitch). I could put gas back in (I have a gas stove in the basement that appears to have gas attached, directly beneath the electric, but my understanding is that downdraft as a whole is horrible with any type of gas), but feel like induction is going to be the best bet with the pop-up downdraft setup.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 PM

28,131 posts, read 18,483,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Cookware, mostly. I guess if you start out adult life with nothing but the cheap pot your mom gave you and buy induction-ready stuff from the start, it's as good a choice as any. But shoving it off on existing households is a "Barbie's playhouse" move meaning an expensive upgrade to cooktop ware along with the expensive cooktop. Funny how that works.

I am not knocking induction per se. Every tool has its place. But the recent marketing/sales/profit-driven fad of shoving it along as the next absolutely-must-have next thing is just example #1000 of why I do what I do. There is a vast difference between actual need or even actual want, and what's thrown at consumers for reasons that are 90% benefit to the sellers.
People get to choose what they want. People who buy appliances have agency. If they choose to buy induction, why do you care?

I chose to buy induction, and I chose to give my pots to a family member and I chose to gradually add new induction capable pots.

I sought out a dealer and requested my cooktop. No one forced me to replace the electric glass top that I hated.
I wanted to replace it.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 17 days ago)

15,599 posts, read 23,462,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
my understanding is that downdraft as a whole is horrible with any type of gas), but feel like induction is going to be the best bet with the pop-up downdraft setup.
It is.
We had it for 24 years in our old house because the kitchen layout precluded a vent hood.
The downdraft sucks the flame away from the burner.

We have a Wolf gas hob now. It works very well.
But, I would have installed an induction hob except for the additional cost of $2000 for more electricity.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:38 PM

28,131 posts, read 18,483,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Sorry to hijack- is this the downdraft type? I ask because I’m thinking of having one put in since my venting is currently downdraft and I’m not sure I want to go through the hassle of installing a vent hood and putting it through my roof (which has a very steep pitch). I could put gas back in (I have a gas stove in the basement that appears to have gas attached, directly beneath the electric, but my understanding is that downdraft as a whole is horrible with any type of gas), but feel like induction is going to be the best bet with the pop-up downdraft setup.
I think so. The vent is down through the lower cabinet on which the cooktop is installed. There is a motor that raises and lowers the fan. You invoke it by push button. There are three power levels. If I open a window across the kitchen, and turn the fan on high, I can see the curtains blowing back from the window as the fan pulls air across the room.

My only complaint is how noisy it us, but vent fans are generally noisy.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:17 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,077,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It is.
We had it for 24 years in our old house because the kitchen layout precluded a vent hood.
The downdraft sucks the flame away from the burner.

We have a Wolf gas hob now. It works very well.
But, I would have installed an induction hob except for the additional cost of $2000 for more electricity.
That is good to know. I don’t think that I can do the hood either. I really think the pop-up is going to be my best bet and I can’t stand ceramic. Just hate it. Plus for the expense of having to redo the whole peninsula anyway, the difference in price between ceramic and induction isn’t really going to break the bank as slide-ins are quite expensive regardless.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:47 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,592,507 times
No gas available here. When we remodeled our kitchen, I refused to stay with regular electric, so it was either induction or plumb the house for LP, including burying a tank in the yard ($$$). Went with a Bosch induction cooktop, All Clad pans, and Tfal Professional nonstick. While I wouldn’t recommend Bosch appliances in general, the cooktop has been great. As someone else said, I don’t really care if water boils in 3 minutes or 6, but I think the low temperature control is the real advantage. When you set it on low, it’s on low all the time. A regular electric cooktop is 900 degrees for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds...what I call “low burn”. I use cheap parchment under the pans, and after 5 yrs of heavy use and below-average cleaning diligence, the cooktop literally looks brand new. The All Clad is great, the Tfal Professional so-so (still looking for that magical induction compatible nonstick). If you cook a lot, I would think a hood is almost required.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:57 PM

4,404 posts, read 10,111,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
No gas available here. When we remodeled our kitchen, I refused to stay with regular electric, so it was either induction or plumb the house for LP, including burying a tank in the yard ($$$). Went with a Bosch induction cooktop, All Clad pans, and Tfal Professional nonstick. While I wouldn’t recommend Bosch appliances in general, the cooktop has been great. As someone else said, I don’t really care if water boils in 3 minutes or 6, but I think the low temperature control is the real advantage. When you set it on low, it’s on low all the time. A regular electric cooktop is 900 degrees for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds...what I call “low burn”. I use cheap parchment under the pans, and after 5 yrs of heavy use and below-average cleaning diligence, the cooktop literally looks brand new. The All Clad is great, the Tfal Professional so-so (still looking for that magical induction compatible nonstick). If you cook a lot, I would think a hood is almost required.
I had forgotten about using parchment paper underneath - I need to remember to do that when I use my cast iron. Just another great thing about induction cooking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House