U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 22 days ago)

15,626 posts, read 23,501,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Induction has been in use in Europe for a lot longer than it has been in the States. I do not know what took it so long to get here.
1. Price. People in the USA are way too intelligent to ever buy anything but the cheapest products.

2. Stubborness. If it was good enough for my grandfather, then no need to change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 12:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,027,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Price. People in the USA are way too intelligent to ever buy anything but the cheapest products.

2. Stubborness. If it was good enough for my grandfather, then no need to change.
Which completely explains Roombas, Swiffers, Bose and Dyson. Thanks, dave.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 8,241,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have a single induction cook top, got it for travel. But I use it in the kitchen sometimes, it cooks things so quickly. None of my new pots will work on it, luckily I have a few old steel pots. I need to grab my magnet & head to Goodwill
I have a single one also. I use it instead of my stove top, which is old with burners that can start fires and get really hot and don't always work. The induction cook top is easier to clean, faster, and only heats if there is something conductive sitting on it and it is plugged in and turned on - so a lot safer, too.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:10 PM

9,936 posts, read 4,856,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I have a single one also. I use it instead of my stove top, which is old with burners that can start fires and get really hot and don't always work. The induction cook top is easier to clean, faster, and only heats if there is something conductive sitting on it and it is plugged in and turned on - so a lot safer, too.
If they're Calrods, you do realize you can replace them in about 5 minutes, don't you? You just lift the element up, pull it out, push in the replacement, and lower it back into place.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:40 PM
KCZ

2,769 posts, read 1,589,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It retains the heat transfer from the pot. It’s not hot the same way an electric stove would be hot, but it's enough that you wouldn’t want to keep your hand on it. Ask me how I know.

You can burn your hand if you hold it on the surface but usually can withdraw it quickly enough to avoid a bad burn. Induction is way safer than conventional electric or gas because you can't set your sleeve or potholder on fire, and it would be my number one choice if I were buying a stove for an elderly or disabled person or a household where the kids did a lot of cooking.

It's way easier to clean than either gas or electric. And the claim that it uses $2000/yr in electricity is ludicrous. You'll also save $$ on less AC usage by not overheating the kitchen like a gas or electric stove does.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 10,119,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You can burn your hand if you hold it on the surface but usually can withdraw it quickly enough to avoid a bad burn. Induction is way safer than conventional electric or gas because you can't set your sleeve or potholder on fire, and it would be my number one choice if I were buying a stove for an elderly or disabled person or a household where the kids did a lot of cooking.

It's way easier to clean than either gas or electric. And the claim that it uses $2000/yr in electricity is ludicrous. You'll also save $$ on less AC usage by not overheating the kitchen like a gas or electric stove does.
Yes to everything you mentioned. You have to hold your hand on the hot burner for several seconds before getting uncomfortably hot whereas it's instant contact with an electric burner. And nothing can catch fire - another reason I love being able to put parchment underneath my cast iron - bonus, it catches the splatters! Since the burner itself doesn't get hot, no burned food to clean off ever either making the cleanup super easy.

My electric bill has not gone up one bit since I bought mine either.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:05 PM

28,167 posts, read 18,525,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Not really arguing. Emphasizing two points that I think are relevant to the discussion:

First, there is no good case that induction is superior to gas, and not much better than calrod electric. (I think ceramic/electric cooktops are... bad tech in all ways.) It's different, yes. It has some advantages that are modest (the cooktop still gets hot enough to burn, and boiling water faster is simply not a major feature except for some agitated tea-drinkers). If you want it, install it, and upgrade your cookware as needed, and may peace and blessings be upon you. But shouting its superiority to the skies is... misplaced.

Second, the tech has been around for a hundred years and was developed into commercially-viable units after WWII. It's had fifty or sixty years to displace, if not gas, then all other forms of electric, and (in quantity production) at much the same cost/price point. It hasn't, not even in Europe. I am the very last person who would argue that superior tech always wins out, but the market and other forces for kitchen appliances should have forced it to a much wider market over two generations... if it was truly superior. It didn't even catch on with fairly common availability from the 1970s on. No, it's only caught on in very recent years... because makers suddenly discovered a 'premium' niche they could promote on a bunch of spurious points and corner more (high-profit) market share with it.

Anyone considering induction should keep both points in mind... especially those who pride themselves in "never paying attention to advertising" and "always making their own good, sound purchasing decisions." Induction is different but not really much better. It works fine if you accept the cookware limitations. But it's still rather expensive, can be shown to be something of a marketing/media driven fad, and many buyers may be a lot happier with a good gas cooktop instead.

End of 'argument.'
Have you ever used an induction cooktop?

Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Have you ever used an induction cooktop?
Yes. It has little to do with my opinions.

All three options are fine, good choices. (I exclude ceramic-tops.) I haven't said anything else. But it's inherent to my professional viewpoint that wondrous new technologies (especially those 100 years old) don't suddenly become Messiah because of their inherent qualities. You like/want induction? Fine. But don't make an ass of yourself running around spouting the marketing/media BS about how it makes all other methods completely obsolete. It's no better and only little different from equivalent quality gas or calrod/electric. If you need to boil water at lightning speed and tend to put your hand on the cooktop a lot, it's probably the best choice. But otherwise... three technologies, same end result, no more than Ford/Chevy difference in the end. No matter what the gushing hosts on reno and cooking shows say.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:51 PM

28,167 posts, read 18,525,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Yes. It has little to do with my opinions.

All three options are fine, good choices. (I exclude ceramic-tops.) I haven't said anything else. But it's inherent to my professional viewpoint that wondrous new technologies (especially those 100 years old) don't suddenly become Messiah because of their inherent qualities. You like/want induction? Fine. But don't make an ass of yourself running around spouting the marketing/media BS about how it makes all other methods completely obsolete. It's no better and only little different from equivalent quality gas or calrod/electric. If you need to boil water at lightning speed and tend to put your hand on the cooktop a lot, it's probably the best choice. But otherwise... three technologies, same end result, no more than Ford/Chevy difference in the end. No matter what the gushing hosts on reno and cooking shows say.
I take a bit of umbrage at your characterization of me “making an ass” of myself.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I take a bit of umbrage at your characterization of me “making an ass” of myself.
English lacks a collective second-person pronoun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House