U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 09:59 AM

8,881 posts, read 11,195,117 times

Advertisements

Love, love, love our new 48" Aga Elise induction. Will never go back to gas. The precision for cooking things like candy or sous-vide is un-matched.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:26 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,027,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Love, love, love our new 48" Aga Elise induction. Will never go back to gas. The precision for cooking things like candy or sous-vide is un-matched.
At $7,000, I'd expect it to come with a sous chef.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 22 days ago)

15,626 posts, read 23,501,312 times
Why do people buy $40,000 vehicles and then whine about the cost of appliances?

Old 09-06-2020, 11:53 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,027,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Why do people buy $40,000 vehicles and then whine about the cost of appliances?
Why do otherwise sensible people ask comparative questions that make no real sense?

But I will contend that not one household in 100 with platinum-grade kitchen appliances really needs them, or uses them to full capability. They're 7-series or S-class used to trundle to the grocery store once a week.

When they aren't just Corollas with a fancy hood ornament.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
At $7,000, I'd expect it to come with a sous chef.

Yes, not inexpensive at all. But we all decide what things we value and decide to spend more money there than other places. I am sure there is something that you spend more money on than I do; and that is perfectly fine. No judgement.

But, we did a LOT of research to select the right range for our kitchen. My husband loves to cook and having a great appliance to assist in that love is why we decided to spend money there.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:41 PM

4,410 posts, read 10,119,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, not inexpensive at all. But we all decide what things we value and decide to spend more money there than other places. I am sure there is something that you spend more money on than I do; and that is perfectly fine. No judgement.

But, we did a LOT of research to select the right range for our kitchen. My husband loves to cook and having a great appliance to assist in that love is why we decided to spend money there.
Nicely said. I spend a lot of money on kitchen gadgets and new technology because I love to cook and I love finding things that make it even more enjoyable. Induction cooking is just one of many. Nice stove BTW! I looked at the Bertazzolis (another high end one) but decided to ease into it with a cheaper one with the idea that I could always upgrade if I wanted to. My sister has all high end appliances, Wolf, Viking, Subzero and she has a horrible electric cooktop in her new condo. I told her she should at least buy one of the lower end induction ones but she wants to hold out for one of the higher end ones. As you said, everyone spends money on things they value.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:40 PM

625 posts, read 813,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Nicely said. I spend a lot of money on kitchen gadgets and new technology because I love to cook and I love finding things that make it even more enjoyable. Induction cooking is just one of many. Nice stove BTW! I looked at the Bertazzolis (another high end one) but decided to ease into it with a cheaper one with the idea that I could always upgrade if I wanted to. My sister has all high end appliances, Wolf, Viking, Subzero and she has a horrible electric cooktop in her new condo. I told her she should at least buy one of the lower end induction ones but she wants to hold out for one of the higher end ones. As you said, everyone spends money on things they value.

which brings me to my next question....we are considering redecorating the whole kitchen and replace the induction cooktop with another one that does have a down draft. We don't want to spend $7000 but I do love to cook ....can anyone recommend a more moderately priced induction cooktop or complete range.....if we decide to move the cooktop to the wall side. Ive never owned induction cooktop/range so know very little about them but many of the comments here have piqued my interest.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
which brings me to my next question....we are considering redecorating the whole kitchen and replace the induction cooktop with another one that does have a down draft. We don't want to spend $7000 but I do love to cook ....can anyone recommend a more moderately priced induction cooktop or complete range.....if we decide to move the cooktop to the wall side. Ive never owned induction cooktop/range so know very little about them but many of the comments here have piqued my interest.

Our other option was to do a cooktop and then double ovens. But then when we adding that up, it came to about $5k. My range is all-in-one -5 burners, double ovens with conventional and convection settings and a separate broiler. It does not have ventilation, though; we had to get a separate hood. But please note that a range might be a better (and less expensive) than individual pieces, depending on what you want in your kitchen.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 10,119,326 times
Quote:
For cooktops, I’d look at Bosch and Kitchenaid first, GE and Frigidaire next. Not a fan of Samsung in general just because of repair issues, but YMMV.

I bought the LG 30” slide in range and I’m happy with its cooking performance but the stainless front scratches easily. My next choices were double the price though ($1800 vs. $3600) so I’m ok with it. Bosch was on my list of the next level up - kind of midrange.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:09 PM

246 posts, read 60,912 times
Quote:
1. If you have induction cooktop, would you recommend it to others?
Not a chance. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. They don't heat up fast enough, don't get hot enough, and the glass cooktop surface looks gross no matter how many times I clean it. Gas or bust for me. Any precision cooking gets done in my instant pot or in an oven.

Quote:
2. Is yours ventilated? This one has no overhead hood or downdraft. But there is a window nearby. We don't fry foods, except for some saute and I don't don't use the fan on my current stove much anyway. We have an ionizer for smells.
I have one of those microwave fan thingies so I just run the house/HVAC fan at full blast.

Quote:
3. Is there a specific brand cookware that you like to use with yours? Are there any non stick brands that work with induction?
I use a Cuisinart cookware set that seems to work okay. Dishwasher-safe took precedence over nonstick for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House