U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 06:47 PM

8,881 posts, read 11,195,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Not a chance. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. They don't heat up fast enough, don't get hot enough, and the glass cooktop surface looks gross no matter how many times I clean it. Gas or bust for me. Any precision cooking gets done in my instant pot or in an oven..

Your induction cooktop is NOT working properly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 PM

161 posts, read 306,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
which brings me to my next question....we are considering redecorating the whole kitchen and replace the induction cooktop with another one that does have a down draft. We don't want to spend $7000 but I do love to cook ....can anyone recommend a more moderately priced induction cooktop or complete range.....if we decide to move the cooktop to the wall side. Ive never owned induction cooktop/range so know very little about them but many of the comments here have piqued my interest.
I bought the GE profile induction range with a convection oven. I love it.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:18 PM
KCZ

2,769 posts, read 1,589,924 times
I have a slide-in Electrolux induction range with double ovens. I've had it for more than 10 years and I've been very happy with it.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 22 days ago)

15,626 posts, read 23,501,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Our other option was to do a cooktop and then double ovens. But then when we adding that up, it came to about $5k.
Not enough.
Miele speed oven
Miele convention oven
Wolf induction cooktop
$10K

You can do better.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:57 AM

4,410 posts, read 10,119,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Not a chance. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. They don't heat up fast enough, don't get hot enough, and the glass cooktop surface looks gross no matter how many times I clean it. Gas or bust for me. Any precision cooking gets done in my instant pot or in an oven.

I have one of those microwave fan thingies so I just run the house/HVAC fan at full blast.

I use a Cuisinart cookware set that seems to work okay. Dishwasher-safe took precedence over nonstick for me.
I have to wonder what brand and how old the cooktop is. You do realize that the cooktop itself never heats up right? My son paid $1500 for an induction cooktop about 5 years ago and it went completely out during an electrical storm. He decided not to replace it and I can't say as I blame him. I really do think they have improved significantly in the last couple of years in addition to coming down in price. I'm not sure I would have considered one 5 years ago.

I don't have any ventilation in my kitchen. I'm not sure why - the house is 45 years old and if there ever was a rooftop vent, it got plugged up at some point. My LG stove has a fan that runs constantly during the cooking as well as after. Don't particularly like it, but I can live with it.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:33 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,498,828 times
We have an induction cook-top and love it. Ikea has the best pots and pans for the money period. We used different ones and you can't beat the Ikea ones. I use them ever day, the Teflon fry pans are awesome and cheap, Ikea OUMBÄRLIG fry pans and 365 pots. We also bought some All Clad which are the Cadillac of induction pans if you can afford them.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:59 AM

625 posts, read 813,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We have an induction cook-top and love it. Ikea has the best pots and pans for the money period. We used different ones and you can't beat the Ikea ones. I use them ever day, the Teflon fry pans are awesome and cheap, Ikea OUMBÄRLIG fry pans and 365 pots. We also bought some All Clad which are the Cadillac of induction pans if you can afford them.
love IKEA, never thought of them for cookware...thank you

Old 09-07-2020, 01:07 PM
KCZ

2,769 posts, read 1,589,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have to wonder what brand and how old the cooktop is. You do realize that the cooktop itself never heats up right? My son paid $1500 for an induction cooktop about 5 years ago and it went completely out during an electrical storm. He decided not to replace it and I can't say as I blame him. I really do think they have improved significantly in the last couple of years in addition to coming down in price. I'm not sure I would have considered one 5 years ago.

I don't have any ventilation in my kitchen. I'm not sure why - the house is 45 years old and if there ever was a rooftop vent, it got plugged up at some point. My LG stove has a fan that runs constantly during the cooking as well as after. Don't particularly like it, but I can live with it.

When I had my kitchen renovated, I had the electrician install a whole house surge protector. Appliances now have so many electronics that they've become susceptible to power surges just like A/V equipment.

Most induction ranges do have a robust fan to keep the induction electronics cool during cooking. My fan runs when the oven is in use even if the induction burners aren't being used.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:16 PM

9,936 posts, read 4,856,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not enough.
Miele speed oven
Miele convention oven
Wolf induction cooktop
$10K

You can do better.
No way I'm going to spend $10,000 on a stove.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:13 PM

733 posts, read 194,526 times
For $50-$60 you can buy a single burner induction cooktop from Costco or Sam's Club. I have gas in both my homes but I cook mostly on the induction. Heats quick and does a simmer that you cannot do with a gas cooktop. Nice thing is it also shuts off if you let it boil down. Very safe since it doesn't heat up or have an open flame. Even if you decide not to go induction you will find plenty of uses for the portable as an extra burner or outside barbeque cooktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House