U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 10:15 PM

15,957 posts, read 33,685,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
For $50-$60 you can buy a single burner induction cooktop from Costco or Sam's Club. I have gas in both my homes but I cook mostly on the induction. Heats quick and does a simmer that you cannot do with a gas cooktop. Nice thing is it also shuts off if you let it boil down. Very safe since it doesn't heat up or have an open flame. Even if you decide not to go induction you will find plenty of uses for the portable as an extra burner or outside barbeque cooktop.
This ^^^. I have a portable induction hotplate with two burners from Avantco. Bought this while waiting to renovate my kitchen in the house we bought last year. I am amazed how much I can do with it. It does take a long time to boil a lot of water, but otherwise there has been almost nothing I can't cook on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...177IC18DB.html

I am going to get the same range I had last time, just a regular GE Profile glass top with double ovens and use this little hot plate for a lot of things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 03:58 AM

2,205 posts, read 5,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
For $50-$60 you can buy a single burner induction cooktop from Costco or Sam's Club. I have gas in both my homes but I cook mostly on the induction. Heats quick and does a simmer that you cannot do with a gas cooktop. Nice thing is it also shuts off if you let it boil down. Very safe since it doesn't heat up or have an open flame. Even if you decide not to go induction you will find plenty of uses for the portable as an extra burner or outside barbeque cooktop.
Agree w this. My house has the smooth top electric stove burner that takes forever to heat up and impossible to fine tune heat levels instantly. Plus after turning it off, it stays hot for a long time which makes the house hotter in the summer. I bought a single induction stovetop and have been using it for at least the last 8 yrs now. I completely shut off the stove/ oven unit at the breaker and put the induction stove on it - I don't bake much anyway. Love how it heats up and cools down instantly.

1 thing I learned is pay attention to the wattage. My first one was 1500W and took longer to boil a big pot of water. My recent one is 1800W and there is a substantial improvement. Not sure if you can find one even higher than that but I'm very satisfied with the 1800W version.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 AM

9,921 posts, read 4,840,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Agree w this. My house has the smooth top electric stove burner that takes forever to heat up and impossible to fine tune heat levels instantly. Plus after turning it off, it stays hot for a long time which makes the house hotter in the summer. I bought a single induction stovetop and have been using it for at least the last 8 yrs now. I completely shut off the stove/ oven unit at the breaker and put the induction stove on it - I don't bake much anyway. Love how it heats up and cools down instantly.

1 thing I learned is pay attention to the wattage. My first one was 1500W and took longer to boil a big pot of water. My recent one is 1800W and there is a substantial improvement. Not sure if you can find one even higher than that but I'm very satisfied with the 1800W version.
Well, if you plug that 1800W cooker into a standard 15A x 115V household circuit, you're drawing about 15.7A. Maybe more if there's a big inductive load (i.e., low power factor - which "induction" cooktop does seem to imply...) You're right on the edge of constant nuisance trips. Anything with more power than that, you're going to have to have a 20A circuit, and I bet you don't have one handy where you want it.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:00 AM

2,205 posts, read 5,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, if you plug that 1800W cooker into a standard 15A x 115V household circuit, you're drawing about 15.7A. Maybe more if there's a big inductive load (i.e., low power factor - which "induction" cooktop does seem to imply...) You're right on the edge of constant nuisance trips. Anything with more power than that, you're going to have to have a 20A circuit, and I bet you don't have one handy where you want it.
Good point. I usually don't have it on max unless boiling a pot of water and if so, don't have something else drawing power at the same time on that circuit. Have never tripped the breaker. Maybe an older house with vintage wiring - like my parent's house - should avoid it.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:25 AM

8,099 posts, read 3,502,692 times
Probably not.
Condo came with electric calrod range, It's Ok range on the inexpensive side, suitable for apartments. We did pull out the old hood and install high CFM "Chef" brand, self cleaning hood (made in USA). We have a portable induction that we use for outside cooking fish, curry, some frying, or cooking that will add undesirable moisture/heat inside. Our previous home we had high heat gas ranges. and outside gas grill.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Good point. I usually don't have it on max unless boiling a pot of water and if so, don't have something else drawing power at the same time on that circuit. Have never tripped the breaker. Maybe an older house with vintage wiring - like my parent's house - should avoid it.
Our house is early 50's. Wiring is old, but good condition, had an electrician upgrade outlets to GFI's, but otherwise it is old two-wire service (ungrounded) The hot plate I mentioned above is 1800W, two burners. I often have BOTH going on max, use multiple times per day and have never had any issue. The plug doesn't even have a ground so it doesn't seem to pull much power. I love it. Worth it's weight in gold for me.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 PM

625 posts, read 813,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^^. I have a portable induction hotplate with two burners from Avantco. Bought this while waiting to renovate my kitchen in the house we bought last year. I am amazed how much I can do with it. It does take a long time to boil a lot of water, but otherwise there has been almost nothing I can't cook on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava...177IC18DB.html

I am going to get the same range I had last time, just a regular GE Profile glass top with double ovens and use this little hot plate for a lot of things.
What kind of cookware do you use?

Old 01-27-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
What kind of cookware do you use?
I bought an inexpensive set of Farberware that works with induction. You can also use cast iron. Anything that a magnet will stick to will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House