Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are considering purchasing a house with induction cooktop....it is located on kitchen counter top that extends out from the wall so not next to wall. Three questions....
1. If you have induction cooktop, would you recommend it to others?
2. Is yours ventilated? This one has no overhead hood or downdraft. But there is a window nearby. We don't fry foods, except for some saute and I don't don't use the fan on my current stove much anyway.
We have an ionizer for smells.
3. Is there a specific brand cookware that you like to use with yours? Are there any non stick brands that work with induction?

Feedback welcomed, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:52 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Absolutely!

It doesn’t have to be...

No. Just make sure it’s the right material.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Yes. More efficient than electric resistance heating. More precise than gas.
Ventilation has nothing to do with the type fo cooktop and everything to do with what/how you cook.
Yes. Demeyere Atlantis is the best. https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere/cookware/atlantis/ But, any cookware that a magnet will adhere to will work.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I have a single induction cook top, got it for travel. But I use it in the kitchen sometimes, it cooks things so quickly. None of my new pots will work on it, luckily I have a few old steel pots. I need to grab my magnet & head to Goodwill

Old 09-01-2020, 11:01 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,198,393 times
Ventilation is essential. Good ventilation is a treasure. I've replaced largely decorative range hoods for higher-CFM ones in two houses, and this house has only a flowthrough "ventilator" that is further crippled by being the bottom end of a microwave. Both will be going in favor of a real vent hood in the 4-500CFM range, with a roof vent.

Induction cooktops are, IMVHO, a bit of a pointless fad, the Wankel of kitchen gear. Yep, they work. Yep, they have some slight advantages. Nope, they won't work with most modern cookware. Conclusion: they're different for the sake of being different, and limit your cookware choices.

Unless you acquire all induction-compatible cookware and like the method (or don't cook enough/with enough involvement to care much), I'd get by with lower-cost options for cookware until you replace it, ideally with gas.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
I'm always going to vote for gas first, calrod heaters second. Why calrods?

Cheap, durable, replaceable in seconds if they ever go bad (it'll happen after 50 years or so). You can bang a pan down on them and not break the sheet of glass - because there's not a sheet of glass. I suppose if the bottom of your pan is rough you could scratch the element, but who cares? They're not hard to keep clean, you just line the little cup under the element with aluminum foil and replace it when it gets ugly with drips. Any kind of pot/pan you want to use will work just dandy.

Frankly to me all other stove top technologies are 100th place and lower compared to these two.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Frankly to me all other stove top technologies are 100th place and lower compared to these two.
"We are number one! All others are number two, or lower!"

Funny, I used to have one of those home handyman books from the 1940s, with all kinds of crazy projects and more or less experimental stuff. Wish I could remember the name so I could find one on ABE or whatever. Great fun to read through, and I've even used some of the material over the years.

One project, and remember this dates from about 1946-7, was how to wind your own induction unit for cooking. It looked more or less like a wire-wound (cotton cover) cinder block. I was fascinated but had to give up when my dad wouldn't buy me something like 400 feet of wire...

Wankel. That is all.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:42 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Induction is faster, more precise, safer, and more energy efficient than gas. Because the heat is produced in the pot or pan, with less heat retention in the stove, it heats the surrounding air up much less than either gas or electric and keeps your room cooler in the summer. It is not a fad. I would never go back to gas or conventional electric.

The only downside is the requirement for specific cookware. I use LeCreuset tri-ply stainless pots and All-Clad non-stick skillets. Finding compatible non-stick pots is a different story...I've tried both Berndes and Swiss Diamond and they were both expensive and performed poorly.

As for ventilation, that depends on what and how you cook. Personally, I'd want some sort of ventilation for any stove, partly for grease, but steam from boiling water can carry odors and damage paint and fixtures as well.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Hello,
We are considering purchasing a house with induction cooktop....it is located on kitchen counter top that extends out from the wall so not next to wall. Three questions....
1. If you have induction cooktop, would you recommend it to others?
2. Is yours ventilated? This one has no overhead hood or downdraft. But there is a window nearby. We don't fry foods, except for some saute and I don't don't use the fan on my current stove much anyway.
We have an ionizer for smells.
3. Is there a specific brand cookware that you like to use with yours? Are there any non stick brands that work with induction?

Feedback welcomed, thanks in advance!

Many different brands available, just look for this logo, or it won't work

If the advertisements are true and you can in fact boil water in 90 seconds (!!!) then I'm sold...

Old 09-01-2020, 03:29 PM

You know, I've been cooking for 40 years and never needed "precision." At least, any more 'precision' than a good gas stove knob gave me.

And not being a commercial kitchen, it really hasn't mattered to me whether a pot of water takes four minutes to boil, or six.

But marketing is a powerful, powerful force that can precisely boil brains in minutes flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House