Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 08:36 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

I had an induction stove in an apartment in Japan and LOVED it. I preferred it to gas and will likely upgrade my current (ancient Jenn Air drop-in downdraft) electric stove with one when I redo my island. What I really love about it is that absolutely nothing happens if you accidentally turn on the wrong burner or happen to leave the burner going with no pot on. It also heats quickly and evenly. I would say that ceramic tops are my least favorite. The old Jenn Air is at least a coil, which seems to do better than the ceramic. I also had a ceramic stove for only a couple of years and one of the burners died. The cost to replace was almost 1/2 the cost of the stove. It was ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 09:33 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
We’ve had induction cooktops for ten years and would never use anything else. The advantages are safety, ease of cleaning and energy efficiency. Any pot or pan that will attract a magnet will work, of course some are better than others in terms of build quality and heat retention.

As others mentioned, ventilation is needed even though the building code may not require it for electric cooktops.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:13 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
"Marketing" = any time someone doesn't see value in a feature.
Well, no.

Feature of marginal, niche or little value + marketing $$$ = new lifestyle essential.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Well, no.

Feature of marginal, niche or little value + marketing $$$ = new lifestyle essential.
Not everyone has gas in their homes, and if you like to cook, ceramic is pretty darn terrible.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I have lived far more years without a gas stove than with. My vote - if you can't have gas - still goes for the old fashioned Calrod elements. I explained why up above.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:29 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
We live in a neighborhood where gas isn’t available. Induction is far superior to regular electric cooktop cooking. I switched to induction and had to replace my heavy duty commercial Calphalon cookware but it’s been worth it. I love that I can go to a rapid boil in less than a minute and I can just as easily turn it off and it stops (like gas, unlike electric).

I purchased a set from Made In - comparable in quality to All Clad but A little cheaper. Since I pretty much cook 2 meals a day every day, I want good cookware. Amazon has some cheaper alternatives that are still good quality. Círculon Anolon is one of them - I bought 2 non stick pans to supplement my set and they are decent. I also bought a small Cuisinart sauce pan that’s worked well.

Some of my older stainless worked and some didn’t - interestingly enough!

Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Not everyone has gas in their homes, and if you like to cook, ceramic is pretty darn terrible.
I wouldn't disagree in the least. I hate (standard) electric cooktops with a fury. ETA: And glass/ceramic tops are... worse in many ways. Being easy to clean is not a primary feature.

But induction, with all its limitations, is fadding up in houses that do have gas and (like all fads) in places where the cooking equipment is largely decorative anyway.

Last edited by Therblig; 09-02-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Yes, there are three different main classes of stainless, ferritic martensitic and austenitic. Most consumer stainless steel products are austenitic, thus not magnetic, but ferritic and martensitic stainless grades are magnetic and are by no means absent from common use.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I have a Bosch induction cooktop installed in an open peninsula. Luckily for me, there is a Dacor exhaust fan that raises and lowers, installed behind the cooktop. That is all the exhaust I need.

The OP might double check to make sure there is /is not a similar fan installed in the kitchen in question. A fan might go unnoticed if it is not raised.

I would want an exhaust fan in my kitchen. If you do any high heat cooking, which induction supports quite well, such as wok stir frying, you are going to want an exhaust fan. I would factor in the cost and practicality of having one installed, if needed, before choosing that house.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I wouldn't disagree in the least. I hate (standard) electric cooktops with a fury. ETA: And glass/ceramic tops are... worse in many ways. Being easy to clean is not a primary feature.

But induction, with all its limitations, is fadding up in houses that do have gas and (like all fads) in places where the cooking equipment is largely decorative anyway.
Oh, nonsense. I cook on my induction every day. And, what limitations?

Even with the best gas cooktop, I’d want one induction burner for boiling water fast. And, furthermore, induction is known to hold low heat steadier than most gas burners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House