Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 07:28 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
One 15 amp breaker pops off frequently in hot weather, or if I run two appliances at once. I have to wrestle it into full off before I can turn it back on.

It provides power to:

Microwave
Range (it's gas, but the thermostat and igniters are electric)
Kitchen lights
Disposal
--I forgot to check the dishwasher
Laundry room and back porch lights
Some but not all switches in two bedrooms
Lights in one bathroom

Which is insane. Each appliance should have its own breaker, and this circuit skips all over the house. I have questions before calling the electrician.

We had the house service upgraded from 60 to 125 amps last year (the max the power company would allow without replacing poles).

We didn't add more circuits then; can we add 65 amps worth of new circuits?

Can the electrician separate the various items onto different circuits?

Can we upgrade the problem circuit to 20 amps?

How much is this going to cost? Ballpark, so I don't freak out. Hundreds? Thousands?
For one thing all kitchen circuits should be 20 amps connected by 12-gauge wire and connected to a GFCI. You should never just upgrade from a 15-amp breaker to a 20-amp one just because the current one is tripping. Otherwise, you may burn your house down via electrical fire. You need to replace the 14 gauge wireing with 20 amp. I’m susprised you didn’t upgrade to a 200 amp service. Most homes today have a 200 amp service In their homes, and no not every appliance should have their own dedicated outlet, only high amperage appliances like microwave, electric stove , electric dryer, and in some cases a refrigerator. Otherwise a 20 amp circuit can handle all smaller appliances. Call a licensed electrician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
One 15 amp breaker pops off frequently in hot weather, or if I run two appliances at once. I have to wrestle it into full off before I can turn it back on.

It provides power to:

Microwave
Range (it's gas, but the thermostat and igniters are electric)
Kitchen lights
Disposal
--I forgot to check the dishwasher
Laundry room and back porch lights
Some but not all switches in two bedrooms
Lights in one bathroom

Which is insane. Each appliance should have its own breaker, and this circuit skips all over the house. I have questions before calling the electrician.

We had the house service upgraded from 60 to 125 amps last year (the max the power company would allow without replacing poles).

We didn't add more circuits then; can we add 65 amps worth of new circuits?

Can the electrician separate the various items onto different circuits?

Can we upgrade the problem circuit to 20 amps?

How much is this going to cost? Ballpark, so I don't freak out. Hundreds? Thousands?
You're in Tucson, and you DON'T HAVE A/C?

And yes, call a pro. You don't wanna burn your neighborhood down.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You're in Tucson, and you DON'T HAVE A/C?

And yes, call a pro. You don't wanna burn your neighborhood down.
Where did you get that idea? I only listed the stuff on that single circuit.

The breaker box is outside, on the very hot south side of the house. It's in an awkward spot to shade, but maybe I need to figure that out.

And in response to a couple of comments posted, let me quote my OP;
"I have questions before calling the electrician.

We had the house service upgraded from 60 to 125 amps last year (the max the power company would allow without replacing poles)."

Old 09-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that idea? I only listed the stuff on that single circuit.

The breaker box is outside, on the very hot south side of the house. It's in an awkward spot to shade, but maybe I need to figure that out.

And in response to a couple of comments posted, let me quote my OP;
"I have questions before calling the electrician.

We had the house service upgraded from 60 to 125 amps last year (the max the power company would allow without replacing poles)."
Replace what their utility poles were their power lines are hung from. They are giving you a bs story if you ask me.

Typically the electric company in the US, provide a standard sigle phase 230 VAC to every residential and commercial buildings in the country..

Generally for residential houses, two "Hot" wires, and one ground wire are brought into the main electrical panel which is protected by a 250 Ampere circuit breaker.. Which means every houses has a 230 volts, 250 ampere capacity of electrical service to supply all of the electrical appliances…

From the main panel, the 230 volts lines are split to create and internally distribute the regular 115 volts needed to supply all small loads and home appliances..

Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Where did you get that idea?
That you're in Tucson? And Tucson is stupid hot for 6 months out of each year? And that anyone would want A/C?I dunno, wild guess. Am I wrong?
Quote:

"
As far as I know, the side of the house the box is on doesn't matter. (Now, the distance to your loads can matter, but this opens up a whole new can o' worms.) ie. voltage drop and all that...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-08-2020 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: I dunno, just thought it a good idea to drive a point home, I guess...

Old 09-09-2020, 08:06 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Replace what their utility poles were their power lines are hung from. They are giving you a bs story if you ask me.

Typically the electric company in the US, provide a standard sigle phase 230 VAC to every residential and commercial buildings in the country..

Generally for residential houses, two "Hot" wires, and one ground wire are brought into the main electrical panel which is protected by a 250 Ampere circuit breaker.. Which means every houses has a 230 volts, 250 ampere capacity of electrical service to supply all of the electrical appliances…

From the main panel, the 230 volts lines are split to create and internally distribute the regular 115 volts needed to supply all small loads and home appliances..
But many times the wires coming to the house are not heavy enough to handle that amperage, especially in a house that only had a 60 amp service to begin with. You can’t just stick a 200 amp box in if there is only a 125 amp service to the house. Perhaps “poles” wasn’t the proper term, but if you actually know as much about the situation as you think you do, you would have understood what the OP meant.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
But many times the wires coming to the house are not heavy enough to handle that amperage, especially in a house that only had a 60 amp service to begin with. You can’t just stick a 200 amp box in if there is only a 125 amp service to the house. Perhaps “poles” wasn’t the proper term, but if you actually know as much about the situation as you think you do, you would have understood what the OP meant.
The power lines coming from the electric company is more than enough to upgrade to a 200 amp service. If the op is blowing breakers than the wire in the home has to be updated especially in the kitchen. A kitchen needs 20 amp circuits and 12 gage wire with a gfi.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:04 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
To provide 200 amp service, the power company wanted to upgrade the lines, which would require a new transformer, and they felt the pole should be replaced at the same time.
My husband used to work for a utility company, and was able to schmooze them into approving the 125 amp upgrade without all that.
They still wanted us to replace our pole because the wires were too close to the ground, but we resolved that by moving a pile of rocks out from under.

Those linemen are just obsessed with their poles.

Last edited by steiconi; 09-09-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 02:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
To provide 200 amp service, the power company wanted to upgrade the lines, which would require a new transformer, and they felt the pole should be replaced at the same time.
My husband used to work for a utility company, and was able to schmooze them into approving the 125 amp upgrade without all that.
They still wanted us to replace our pole because the wires were too close to the ground, but we resolved that by moving a pile of rocks out from under.

Those linemen are just obsessed with their poles.
You wouldn’t have had to pay for the new pole and transformer though, right? I would have thought that’s a good thing.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:38 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The power lines coming from the electric company is more than enough to upgrade to a 200 amp service. If the op is blowing breakers than the wire in the home has to be updated especially in the kitchen. A kitchen needs 20 amp circuits and 12 gage wire with a gfi.
And you know this how? Our 70's era neighborhood was originally built with 100 amp services all underground. When I looked to upgrade to a 200 amp service I was told the conductors from the transformer were not of sufficient size and would need to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House