Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times

Advertisements

I am just the opposite, much prefer electric-everything over gas.

I know it does not happen all the time, but the exploding residential-gas scenario is mainly what gives me the creeps about gas.

Cost to convert electric to gas, in this time of highly inflated everything, lots of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 08:58 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

I know it does not happen all the time, but the exploding residential-gas scenario is mainly what gives me the creeps about gas.
I prefer the cost and cooking of gas vs electric (our house is all electric and sees a $300 bill every month and we don't use that much hot water or or lighting), but man, you're right about it creeping me out.

This happened a couple weeks a go a few blocks from here, 4 townhouses blew up most likely due to a faulty residential gas connection in one of them: https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...odq-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkw9C8HSvDQ

Makes me glad that BGE quoted me $30k to run a gas line down our street to my house...

Old 09-08-2020, 09:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

Cost to convert electric to gas, in this time of highly inflated everything, lots of money.
I know of two instances where cable workers inadvertently hit gas lines that ran near peoples houses. The houses exploded and the homeowners died. Again I don’t want something so unsafe in my home. I have no issue with food cooked on electric stoves

Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclairion View Post
My place was all electric with no air conditioning, and I was paying on the average about $400/month. Went to gas and A/C about 20 years ago. Broke even after 6 years. Ahead now between 30 and 40K, and we have A/C when it's needed.
$400 a month with no a/c?? What the heck are they charging in California? I am here in Florida and averaging the past 12 months my electric averaged $177. This year was higher because of Covid and not taking a vacation during the hottest two months.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:20 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I live in a house that has gas and electric appliances and I still feel uneasy. I can always tell I’m near the cooktop or the fireplace because there’s always a faint gas smell. I wish I could return to an all electric house
You have a leak, get it fixed, pronto!

Old 09-08-2020, 11:34 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
I live in a house that has gas and electric appliances and I still feel uneasy. I can always tell I’m near the cooktop or the fireplace because there’s always a faint gas smell. I wish I could return to an all electric house
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

For someone like that it’s usually a psychological thing- not an actual leak.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
For someone like that it’s usually a psychological thing- not an actual leak.
What the frikken hell do you mean by "someone like that"?

And I know what I smell as my sense of smell is pretty acute.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I've looked up gas leaks and it doesn't smell like rotten eggs or has caused any breathing problems, et al. As part of the routine yearly home maintenance inspection/repair that's performed on our house, I'll mention it just to be sure. The house is 31 years old.

I also have a very acute sense of smell. I can smell things many things before others and I can detect such things as gas and smoke. We have a propane tank for our grill and I can smell the faint gas odor around the tank as well even though it is closed. Gas just has an odor.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
So if we were to buy this house and stick with all electric, should we expect our electricity bill to be crazy high? If we get far enough in the home-buying process, we can ask for average utility bills from the seller, but if anyone has experience with this...??? House is in the Indianapolis area, so 4 definite seasons needing climate control. Plus a heated in-ground swimming pool if we decide to go that route.
Indianapolis? Does it have electric heat? If yes RUN. It will cost you a fortune. Find another house. It will cost a small fortune to convert from electric to gas heat. Also you are running out of time. The cold will be here before you know it.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:03 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
I know of two instances where cable workers inadvertently hit gas lines that ran near peoples houses. The houses exploded and the homeowners died. Again I don’t want something so unsafe in my home. I have no issue with food cooked on electric stoves
You're not kidding it can take out a few houses or more. It's happened a few times in NJ that I remember. One was an apartment complex many years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House