Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 05:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times

Advertisements

The above poster is pragmatic and precise.
Great idea!
Extend your rental date . Have the paint/floors done.
Swing by Ikea, nice cabinets and consult service. Order and it's there in 2-3 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 06:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Seriously, at your age you shouldn't be taking on so many projects. If the home isn't really doing it for you other than its location, then you need to assess what is the most important to you - the location or having as much things to your liking as possible?

The floors, paint, and the kitchen..neither of those things absolutely need to be done before you move in. If that's the case, then you should have purchased a more updated house.

And previous posters are right, you may be in for a rude awakening when it comes to repairs and such. As much as we love our home, not too long after the ink was dry was when things started to need replacing and we were nickel and dimed as each thing started breaking down seemingly one right after the other. You need a good 10k-20k at least for those types of things, which are far more important than hardwood floors, paint, or cabinets or countertops.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Hire an interior decorator or designer to help you with the whole plan, it will save you stress and money and your place will be well put together.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:16 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Hello friends,
Our offer on a house was just accepted...inspection will follow so nothing yet set in stone.

The kitchen is nice....maybe 12 years old...despite that the new fridge (black stainless) and dishwasher (black something else) don't match each other or the stainless steel oven and microwave.
Cabinets and counter tops are fine but not exactly what I like, so we'll replace everything and would like to do that before moving in but that may take a long time. This is our first time redecorating a kitchen... We know someone who makes beautiful cabinets but he told me that it won't happen before December. Closing would be mid October. We are in a temporary rental so we can wait until then but are anxious to move.
Also would replace appliances and those would have to be chosen in order to fit cabinets properly.... my understanding is that there is shortage of appliances due to covid...which is the likely reason why the new appliances in this house do not match.

The whole house will need a coat of paint and carpet replaced with hardwood in part of house. So before moving in, I'm thinking painting and replacing carpet are priorities....and as much as I'd like to get the kitchen done, it may be best to wait until after we move in and can take our time sorting out the many choices and purchases. Yesterday I went to Home Depot. I could not believe the number of choices regarding cabinets, cabinet colors, cabinet handles, counter top materials, counter top colors, choice of appliances....yikes! Do we need this many choices? I came home in tears because I am totally stressed out and confused.

We are retired in our 70s....we are active and youthful but I'm overwhelmed just thinking about getting that kitchen done before we move in. Then I think of friends who had kitchen redone while living in house and said it was a nightmare. So I'm torn. Should we put kitchen on hold until after moving in?
Should I hire a designer/contractor or go to a kitchen store (even if we wait until later)? We want quality craftsmanship. We aren't wealthy but can afford to hire someone to help us out...just not sure where to go and not sure where to start. Anyone here with experience regarding any aspect of this? I would so much appreciate hearing your experience and advice. I have questions regarding carpeting and hardwood choices as well....will start anther thread for that.
Thanks in advance!
I'd do the paint and floors and leave the kitchen.

As others have said, you should move in and use it to see if the layout is to your liking. If I had to redo my kitchen which is also 12 years old, I wouldn't put the microwave over the stove, the moisture from cooking blows parts. You're then going to run into dimension problems trying to find a replacement to fit, will have to add false panels.

Do you even need a dishwasher? We have one that we've only used a handful of times. In our last house, we replaced it with one of those college dorm sized freezers. It was very handy to have more freezer space.

You know someone that custom makes cabinets. If you like their work, it's worth waiting for them to get quality. Can they spare 30 minutes or so to go to the house to see what they suggest?

As for a new house, ours was new 12 years ago. Our last house built in the early 70's was built much better then this one. If we were doing it today, I'd do what my dad did with a modular ranch where he had a basement, porch and a full sized attic. Too bad he didn't live long enough (6 months) to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House