Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

i have these maximus security lights. i have 6 cameras and right now 2 of them seem to not be working properly. we have had issues with some of them not working and have replaced them. even though they have had issues, i dont think ill replace them with another system since i like how they are integrated into outdoor lights so i have them and companions all around my house. i was just looking this morning for a replacement and i see they now have a doorbell system. my front door camera light is one that is having issues so i may be buying their doorbell unit soon. hopefully my wife can install it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 09:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
We have a Ring doorbell and have been really happy with it.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
I got this one. It has a separate wireless chime, no fees are needed, and stores data on an SD card. It's also super easy to install and relatively cheap.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-14-2020, 04:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am planning to install video doorbell for the new house that I purchased and moved in recently.

Please advise which is the latest and greatest one I can go with that can give the bang for the buck....
Nest doorbells are hardwired to your existing doorbell wires, and record 24/7 video for you to play back events, even if it wasn't during a time when a person was at the door. This has proven useful to disprove suspicions of tampering, such as when my American flag had fallen out of the mount (due to wind) and my trashcan lid had flipped open (also due to wind).

Ring doorbells (the battery operated ones, at least) can be placed just about anywhere, due to not requiring wires, however (!!!) this limitation restricts recording time to only events when someone triggers the motion sensor. This may not be a big deal for some, but you won't be able to scroll back and watch for something occurring 20-30 feet away if the object is not large enough to trigger recording.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:07 PM

741 posts, read 1,751,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not specifically advocating but if you go Ring you can get central alarm system monitoring for $100 a year which would also cover a Ring doorbell. A lot cheaper than ADT.

If you don’t pay for a plan you’ll get alerted but it won’t save any videos. And if you get the basic plan it’s $30 a year.
I called the Ring installation company (www.ontechsmartservices.com/) and the rep told I need to separately purchase Ring doorbell and system monitoring for $100 a year is separate. So, it appears that the Ring doorbell does not come with central alarm system monitoring.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
I called the Ring installation company (www.ontechsmartservices.com/) and the rep told I need to separately purchase Ring doorbell and system monitoring for $100 a year is separate. So, it appears that the Ring doorbell does not come with central alarm system monitoring.
They are incorrect.

The Ring Plus subscription is $100 a year and covers everything.

I know this because not only is it on their website, but I have it.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They are incorrect.

The Ring Plus subscription is $100 a year and covers everything.

I know this because not only is it on their website, but I have it.
In which web page/where in the website it mentions...

May be they do not have that promotion/offer anymore... Anyways... I will also double check directly with Ring ...

Old 09-15-2020, 09:30 PM

As seen in https://shop.ring.com/pages/doorbell-cameras

I am considering Video Doorbell 2020 Release ($99) vs Video Doorbell 3 ($199) vs. Video Doorbell 3 plus ($229.99)

Major Differences I see is

#1) Video Doorbell 2020 Release has only 2.4 GHz Wifi connectivity, while Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 plus has 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz Wifi connectivity

#2) while all three have hardwired option, Video Doorbell 2020 Release has "Rechargeable, Built in Battery"
and both Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 plus has "Removable, Rechargeable Battery Pack"

#3) While both Video Doorbell 2020 Release and Video Doorbell 3 has "Standard Video Capture", Video Doorbell 3 plus has "Event Preview with Pre-Roll Video".

How important is 5 Ghz wifi connectivity over 2.4 Ghz wifi connectivity and "Event Preview with Pre-Roll Video" over "standard video capture".

Also what is the difference between Rechargeable, Built in Battery and Removable, Rechargeable Battery Pack...

These considerations will help me to choose between Video Doorbell 2020 Release, Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 plus...

Old 09-16-2020, 01:51 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
In which web page/where in the website it mentions...

May be they do not have that promotion/offer anymore... Anyways... I will also double check directly with Ring ...
On the Ring website, it was not a special, their Plus is a standard $100/yr for everything.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

Old 09-16-2020, 10:03 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
On the Ring website, it was not a special, their Plus is a standard $100/yr for everything.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans
Correct - from that same page (bold is mine):

“With Ring Protect Plus, all Ring devices at one address are covered automatically. If you’re currently using Ring Protect Basic and want your new device covered, you can add another Basic subscription, or upgrade to Ring Protect Plus.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House