Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw_phish View Post
Thanks. The seller agent actually just sent us this email through our agent:

"As you may know, the home is still under a 10 year warranty for everything structural; this transfers to new ownership. One item, the windowsill, is already being repaired under the warranty"

I plan to confirm what exactly the issue is and what the repairs are but would this 10 year warranty allay your concerns if you were in my shoes? It is not the window still where the stains are but I am assuming the stains around the window is what the seller agent is referring to.

Water stains- the direct result of water intrusion by any means is not a structural issue as in a 2/10 warranty. I would not be satisfied with just a cosmetic repair- I would want to know if the actual “leak” has been repaired/resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 01:27 PM

62 posts, read 58,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
LA- and no appreciable rain? That’s a head scratcher!

It would appear to be either roof or siding- due to the appearance of the stains I would kinda discount the windows themselves.

Are these ground level windows? Irrigation system?
3rd(top) floor windows. Didn't see any stains on 1st or 2nd floor windows. Adding slightly to my concern is that the blinds on these windows was set up in a weird way that specifically hid these stains(which were about half way up on both windows). It felt a bit deliberate but *might* have been coincidental. The inspector didn't even notice the stains, we did and had to point it out to him at the end(which is another issue).

Last edited by qw_phish; 09-17-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 01:29 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Reading the report notes regarding the wall stains. It sounds like the HVAC unit is above those stains. Likely the condensate drain backed up, and leaked at some point. Inspector said they were dry at the time of the inspection. My guess is the hVAC unit leaked, they had it repaired, and did not paint the stained area. Like the inspector said, ask the sellers for information regarding the stains.
Moisture inside the windows between the panes of glass is the result of the seal failing. It will likely get worse over time, and is fixed properly by replacing the glass. While there are companies that claim they can fix broken seals, my experience is they do not last, and cost close to what new glass costs.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:15 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
If it is in fact a condensate leak issue from an HVAC unit above in an attic, that would be a relatively easy fix and could be addressed so that it dies not reoccur. That’s probably not the case since the stains are in similar locations in two different rooms.

It just sounds like an unknown issue at this point and there’s no benefit in trying to speculate without examining the existing conditions.

Last edited by Rickcin; 09-17-2020 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 02:51 PM

63 posts, read 47,001 times
This is most definitely a roofing and gutter issue. When was the roof last repaired. And with that type of leak shown in first pic there is definitely a mold problem as well. Repairs to be made roof and gutters , replace drywall, paint and seal. No mention how old the house is or where?

The source of the leak should be real easy ask the home owner, they know. That’s a long term leak. Ask the home owner when the last time the roof was replaced. Also Gutters could be backing up causing water to leak inside requiring new gutters. This leak issue left for long periods just becomes a house of cards one minor issue develops into several issues until major repairs are required. Floor and ceiling joists could be involved. Check attic and under house for damage.

The contractor can check the roof and gutters easily tell if roof leaks by checking the attic where the leak could be plainly identified. If you truly want the house get your own contractor to evaluate the damage. My estimate for damage shown is between $5000 - $8000. That not including any damage to the joists.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades-of-idaho View Post
When was the roof last repaired.

No mention how old the house is or where?
Its right in the OP. House is in S. CA, is 2.5 years old and still has some sort of transferable "warranty".

Old 09-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades-of-idaho View Post
This is most definitely a roofing and gutter issue. When was the roof last repaired. And with that type of leak shown in first pic there is definitely a mold problem as well. Repairs to be made roof and gutters , replace drywall, paint and seal. No mention how old the house is or where?
Why do you think there is def a mold problem?

Last edited by qw_phish; 09-17-2020 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 05:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qw_phish View Post
https://ibb.co/9TBVDDz

Hi All,

I am buying a house and during the house inspection the moisture in these pictures was found on the inside of windows in two bedrooms on opposite sides of the house. I know nothing about these kinds of things and appreciate it is probably impossible to say what the cause of these stains are without a contractor investigating. That said I would appreciate anyone who can advise me as to most likely causes and critically, whether this is something to be unduly concerned about.

The house is 2.5 years old and is in Los Angeles (where we get very very little rain). Is this a big deal or likely something minor?

There were no other window stains but there was this stain under a heating/cooling unit on the 1st floor:

https://ibb.co/pbghv92
Was it really hot outside and the AC cranked up to keep the house cold?

Old 09-17-2020, 05:53 PM

We have asked the sellers what the cause is and what repairs are planned under this warranty. Will see what they say.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
If it is in fact a condensate leak issue from an HVAC unit above in an attic, that would be a relatively easy fix and could be addressed so that it dies not reoccur. That’s probably not the case since the stains are in similar locations in two different rooms.
The leak from the hvac unit is a separate issue on the ground floor and not really a huge concern. The leaks we are concerned about are around windows on the top floor of the 3 story house. There is no attic. It is a flat roof. The rest of the house seemed fine, with no feeling of damp or anything else.

This is the response we received from the seller on this issue. I am not at all satisfied. I've asked for clarity.
Quote:
The stains have been looked at by the developer but will be looked at again and repaired soon (though we do not have an exact date). The sellers were not aware of any other stains. The developers did not provide any notes about cause. Any issues are covered under the warranty as these stains were documented within the warranty period. There has never been mold.
It sounds like, at the very least, we either need more details from the developer as to the cause of the leaks/stains. And most likely, if we want to proceed, we probably should invest in an experienced contractor to investigate further?

I'd be curious if anyone has any feeling that I am over-reacting in this. The home inspector did not seem to think it was a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House