Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 PM

494 posts, read 501,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Because you do not get the tax credit-the leasing company does. Your missing out on thousands of dollars.

Trust me, I bought a house that has Tesla solar panels that are leased. Their customer service SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. Our lease payment is $77 and the highest bill we had in winter running the heat at 69 was $80. I live in Denver
I had Tesla on the house I sold. You're right, the service sucks, but I saved big time on my bills (over $500/month in the summer months). Whenever, I had a problem, they notified me before I knew about it, but they were hard to get in touch with. They system was/is reliable. Personally, I would not avoid purchasing a home with a Tesla System because the savings in AZ is so great.

I've not done the math, but I'm not sure that the tax credit is motivation enough for me to get up off of $30k. Especially, when I would not live a house long enough to hit the break even point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM

494 posts, read 501,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Main issue with lease is new owner would need to agree to take over the lease
Why would they not? The alternative is to revert to those super high (at least in AZ) bills and a thermostat set at 80. With solar, I can open the doors, run the A/C, have the thermostat set at 65, while running the washer and drying in the middle of the day, with the refrigerator door (and freezer) open.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Why would they not? The alternative is to revert to those super high (at least in AZ) bills and a thermostat set at 80. With solar, I can open the doors, run the A/C, have the thermostat set at 65, while running the washer and drying in the middle of the day, with the refrigerator door (and freezer) open.

Because people do not want to have something that they rent for the rest of their life.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times
Quote:
The problem with the lease from my prospective is that it does not maximize the savings for the life of the panels. When we were home shopping I didn't want a house with leased solar. We were looking for one we wanted it to either have an owned system or no system at all. The lease deals typically save you 15-50% annually on your electric bill. The owned systems when sized right can completely eliminate your eliminate your solar bill so you're just paying the loan for 10 -12 years at a cost less than you were paying monthly for electricity.

Our break even is less than six years. If for some reason we sell the house before six years then that is just a risk we are willing to take. We can also try to price the house 5-10K higher then comps without solar to get some of that money back too.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:39 AM

10 posts, read 4,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Should you buy or lease your solar panels? The decision about how to finance your solar power system depends on your particular financial goals.
https://www.energysage.com/solar/fin...-panel-system/
Thanks a lot. It was really helpful.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:42 AM

10 posts, read 4,993 times
Thank you so much for very helpful resources. I think I'll go with leasing the system as currently, I'll not be able to buy.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:21 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Quote:
I had Tesla on the house I sold. You're right, the service sucks, but I saved big time on my bills (over $500/month in the summer months). Whenever, I had a problem, they notified me before I knew about it, but they were hard to get in touch with. They system was/is reliable. Personally, I would not avoid purchasing a home with a Tesla System because the savings in AZ is so great.

I've not done the math, but I'm not sure that the tax credit is motivation enough for me to get up off of $30k. Especially, when I would not live a house long enough to hit the break even point.
I can't get ahold of anyone. I seriously sat on hold on the phone for 2 hours one time. My emails are taking weeks to get responded to and when they do, it's generic BS.

They still have the old owner on the account and are not automatic debiting our account. It's a total nightmare

Old 10-29-2020, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
it seems to me that if you finance 100% of the system and your monthly loan payment isnt less than your average monthly electricity savings, its probably not worth buying the system.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it seems to me that if you finance 100% of the system and your monthly loan payment isnt less than your average monthly electricity savings, its probably not worth buying the system.
Only depending on the length of the loan. If you have a 6 year breakeven and a four year loan, your payments will exceed your savings but it's still a worthwhile endeavor as the system will last 20+ years and you'll get 16+ years of free electricity.

My system happens to be net positive every month because I have a 5.5 year breakeven and a 12 year low-interest loan, but I had the option to pay less overall for the system and get a 3 year loan; that would have made each month a loss until the loan was paid off. I ran the numbers and decided that I put more in my pocket with the higher cost low interest loan for the longer period, but it's hard to make blanket statements since everyone's case is different.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Not exactly true. Our rainy day fund and overall savings (not retirement) is in a Fidelity account with a 10 year average rate of return at 14.83%. The finance package we received through the State of Montana was 4% for 100% of our system- which was about $14,000 over a 5 year term.

Even though the monthly solar loan payment is marginally more than my monthly utility savings, I would have been worse off to use my own money in this case- I make up for that in my funds rate of return by a fair margin. We simply earmarked that $14,000 MUST be never touched out of our Fidelity fund for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House