Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2020, 04:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times

Advertisements

I live in a first floor condo. I have water damage to interior perimeter wall of bathroom that appear to have been caused by a leak (the guys doing the repairs believe it was from an old leak that isn't currently active).

Adjuster says it is something that would be covered, but that they will not pay for any repairs unless I can identify the source of the leak. There are several floors and several units above me, any of which could have had a leak at one time, plus the interior space between units that the HOA is responsible for. The adjuster literally told me I need to hire a plumber and have them go knock on all my neighbors' doors above me and ask to poke around their plumbing, even cut into their walls if necessary to find the leak (which probably no longer exists).

I understand the adjuster wants to make sure there is no current leak so that there are no new damages 6 months from now, but I don't think what they expect from me is reasonable at all. This is my first time living in a condo so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but it seems like they're trying to weasel out of paying anything by placing ridiculous and impossible conditions on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You’re having repairs done to a wall that was “clearly damaged” from and “old” leak???

And your making a claim on insurance???

And you don’t see the “problem”? Really???

Old 09-27-2020, 08:51 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You’re having repairs done to a wall that was “clearly damaged” from and “old” leak???

And your making a claim on insurance???

And you don’t see the “problem”? Really???
No. I reported it as soon as I became aware of it

Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Why should your insurance company pay for something that is most likely from before their policy with you was active?

I live in a co-op, which is similar to a condo. If, when I took possession of the apartment, I had found evidence of old damage, I wouldn't put in a claim, that window is closed. The time to address that would have been during the final walk through before selling at the latest. Once that happens, it's basically "as is".

After I moved in, I noticed evidence of a ceiling repair in my bedroom. No way to know when it happened. But I could certainly never call my insurance company and ask them to pay for any touch up repairs to it.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Sounds like an issue for the property manager/condo board to deal with. Very difficult for you as the owner to poke around in other people's homes, although i can see why it is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House