Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 03:47 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

You say you have a cold room, but it would be helpful to know how cold your room gets, and what you are doing now to try to keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
As a child I sometimes slept at my grandma's house where she raised 13 kids. The bedrooms were not heated unless you left the door open. She didn't. We slid in between freezing sheets with enough quilts to pin us down until morning.
Of course a sleeping bag would work. Just make sure it's rated for the temperature you have to sleep in.

I'd like to add, if your mattress doesn't warm up, if it stays cold at night, that would be miserable. I think putting a sleeping bag, opened up, on your mattress, under your sheet would do a lot. Then a warm blanket/ comforter/ stack of quilts on top would enable your body heat to warm you up.

Oh I just went back and read your hours of electrical. You could still warm your bed up with an electric mattress pad before climbing in (before 11PM). Just make sure you have good blankets to keep the body heat in after 11.

Last edited by hunterseat; 09-30-2020 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-30-2020, 02:13 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Electric blanket, and get flannel sheets.....you should be snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug
I do think a sleeping bag, wouldbe uncomfortable, and too warm.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:50 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shania02 View Post
Electric options can’t we have only electricity from 6 in the morning till 11 in the evening by a central generator in our community
Actually that might work - a lot of people just turn their electric blankets on high for the first hour or two and then shut them off the rest of the night and they keep them warm all night from the residual heat.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Then you could go back to olden times and use the modern version of a bed warmer. Hot water in plastic jugs, or a stone or a brick warmed up by the fireplace/woodstove and wrapped in a towel. Put it in your bed 20 minutes or so before you plan to sleep. It can take the chill off the mattress and bedding. Once the internally-heated humans are in a bed that has good insulating covers (down or polyfiber filled duvets/comforters) their body heat can keep things warm the rest of the night. Might be enough to get you through the hours you don't have electricity. I actually bought an antique copper bed warmer off ebay. Filled with HOT water in the evening and put under the covers, even 8 hours later it was still noticeably warm.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:04 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
We have a very could bedroom in wintertime.
Both are wee looking for other solutions to sleep ( now we use blankets)
Generates sleeping bags more warmth in such condition?
We’ve seen a very giant double sleepbag, https://www.thecampingfamily.com/dou...eping-bag.html
Are here maybe some who have experience?
Read your link. It contains warnings about trying to use it in cold weather.

You could get a battery heated throw/blanket. I would get two full or twin so that one person doesn't pull the blanket off. There's a warning about that in your sleeping bag link too.

Last edited by lchoro; 09-30-2020 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 10:12 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Actually that might work - a lot of people just turn their electric blankets on high for the first hour or two and then shut them off the rest of the night and they keep them warm all night from the residual heat.
A lot of people don't live in a cabin
(mountain hut) located in a remote location of Austrian Alps (from her previous threads)

Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
If you have electricity in the bedroom, an electric blanket can be very nice to have.

If you have really cold legs at night, try looking up the large (17"x33") heating pads available on Amazon. I have two on my bed. Sheer heaven.

Quote:
Electric options can’t we have only electricity from 6 in the morning till 11 in the evening by a central generator in our community
So hit the sack at 10 and crank up the electric blanket or those heating pads for the last hour or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House